Author Topic: A Darker Cyradon & Gryphon World  (Read 8231 times)

Offline Alwyn

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: A Darker Cyradon & Gryphon World
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2008, 01:33:43 PM »
Yeah, I got few ideas for the darker side of elves from Hellboy II also.
Alwyn Erendil
Warden of the High Forest
"NEMO ME IMPUNE LACESSIT - At least not in Yu Gi Oh"

Don't worry, be HARPy!

Offline SamwiseSeven

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Tim
    • Tim's RPG YouTube Channel
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2008, 06:52:46 PM »
Sounds like I have to rent Hellboy I and see II in the theater, as I've seen neither of them.
https://www.youtube.com/samwise7rpg

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2008, 10:57:58 PM »
 IMO you do not need to rent them but I did enjoy both of them.

They basicly went back to the old English and Norse way of looking at elves. They are otherworldly and march to a different tune than do humans. So a good book on feries, elves, brownies etc will go a long way to helping you. You might also look at other RP games that deal with elves differently than D&D, RM, Shadowrun, and others do. Look for the darker games or ask someone who knows a lot about RPG's adn they might help you find a good one for your game.

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline SamwiseSeven

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Tim
    • Tim's RPG YouTube Channel
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2008, 07:35:05 PM »
Thanks for the info on Elves.  I knew a little, but getting a book on the Elves of lore (instead of fiction) is a good idea.  Back to the source.  Tolkien would like that.  :)

In Cairnus, I am playing up that those in charge are evil and corrupt in politics which goes well with how the book and later Cyradon information hints at.  They play with dark magics that mutate and twist Elven children of the land.  This is normally done by a magical metal plate with an arcane rune on it, that is placed on the back of the neck, or the back of the skull, and then drilled into place, by a nasty looking arcane screw...  I have a monster/ally of the party that was once two children, that were attached by a larger version of one of these plates, and they were morphed together into one creature.  The party managed to convince the creature that they meant no harm, and removed the metal plate.  With the plate gone, the children are slowly becoming what they originally were.  The description follows from the PBP game:

A four legged creature the size of a horse is waiting around outside and looking bored.  It has sagging wrinkled black skin that seems cut from sharp jaggers in the brush.  Its eyes are a dark purple with red vertical slits.  It has 2 large heads that ride a top 2 thick necks.  It's front two legs seem powerful, and its back 2 legs are smaller.  It has hands on its front two legs that seem almost Elven, though thicker and distorted.  It has two strange small mouths with large hanging cheeks.

Okay, let's see if I can describe the children better.  It isn't a horse, just the size of one (large).  It has a roundish body with two necks with two large heads (that are beginning to resemble elven children heads).  It has stronger front legs/arms with semi-Elven looking hands and smaller back legs with feet.  The small mouths are looking more like Elven children mouths as well, and he continues to get better with speech.

Basically they know that 2 children were formed into one creature.  They were held down, and a nasty black metal plate was drilled into the backs of their necks, and held in place by an arcane symbol, and arcane screws.  Needless to say it hurt them constantly, and it molded them from two cute little Elf children, into the monster before you.  The metal band was removed by the party, and it is slowly forming back into 2 children.  It is still one creature at this point, but that will change.  They don't remember their names.

There is a "Blood Tax" that the government collects from the fearful people, that submit, because they lack hope; despair filling the void.  This Blood Tax is a random taking of kidnapped life of all ages.  It is taken by a massive black structure, much like a building, that appears in towns and cities usually near where the Lords (those in the upper echelons of power) are traveling.  These Lords have gladiatorial combats with kidnapped Elves mutated and changed by these devices and magic. 
https://www.youtube.com/samwise7rpg

Offline Felros

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2018, 01:23:16 PM »
Cyradon can bend to more dark topics, I used the coliseum to keep the more twisted or degenerated creatures, and the tunnels beneath Belynar too.

Also, if you want darker themes, take a look if you can find it to the Shades of Darkness setting for RMSS. Easily adaptable to HARP, has many good ideas. You could say it is like RolemsterĀ“s Ravenloft.