Author Topic: Demons  (Read 3756 times)

Offline Walt

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Demons
« on: June 12, 2008, 02:44:57 PM »
Did anybody some nice Demon theme in the last time? I?ve got a unwillingly Summoner in the group whom I want to involve into a demon war.
So did anybody any adventure with or about Demons?

Offline fac

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Shadow World's aficionado
Re: Demons
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2008, 06:17:09 PM »
Right now I'm running an adventure with the PC's fighting against some procreators.

The demons are helping a magician, he gives them young women and they will give him a flower from the hills of hell (indeed third pale), with this flower he will be able to control the staff he found some time ago, an arcane artifact.

But no demon war, sorry
You must feel the thought and think the feeling

Offline Fornitus

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • The Frequently Deceased
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2008, 07:58:17 PM »
 My wifes Arcaine Demon Summoner has caused a small war in hell. She called forth a Type III Demon and I rolled really well for its intelengence. Basicaly it was controled, but barely. In the end she had a treaty aranged with it if it got more powerful. She sent it back to hell with a pair of Demon Slaying swords to help it out. After a couple of years she plans to re-contact it and (with futher payment) use it as a more reliable contact in hell than is normal. ;D

Of course, any Demon hers defeates or gets nudged aside in the power scale is none to happy about the help she gave. So, the other Demons may try to cause her trouble by giving other Summoners any info they have on her "free" of charge, or may try to break free once called to go try to get her. ;D
CUTHLU FOR PRESIDENT!!
WHY CHOSE A LESSER EVIL?

or did we?

Offline Walt

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2008, 12:16:15 AM »
Thanks. My problem is that I forgot the backround I developed for one of my players because of a very long break.
The character, a fire magician, was in apprenticeship and shortly before his test to become an adept his master and teacher was killed. Unknowingly to the character his master was dealing with demons and the group killing his master were trying to prevent further evil.
Since this start ervery now and then a mighty fire demon tries to break through, influencing tha magician to bigger, uncontrollable spells, creating big bonefires every now and then.
But I did forget all the reasons behind!!
Can somebody help me out, what would your imagination conjure with such a story??

Offline Fornitus

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2008, 01:40:19 AM »
 That the Fire Magician was used (unwilingly) as part of a summoning Ritual when they were in aprinticeship. Later a Forget spell by the master removes it from the PC's knowlage.

The puropse for including the young aprentice was incase of Ritual/Spell failure. If the master is linked with someone when a spell goes bad, they can try to channel the failure to whoever is in their "link" so they survive. Obvously the master was trying something new and powerful to need a backup.

The end result of said magic created a link between the PC and the Demon. Thus everytime the PC calls forth the Demons element (fire) there is a chance of influence or bleed through.

I would suggest that after each such event the PC has strange dreams. Either trying to teach hte PC specific summoning teniques or trying to lead the PC to acomplish the Demons desires. If the Demon is real smart, he will present it to the PC as if the Demon is a favored spirit or small gawd of somekind. The PC may never know they are working for evil. :evil1: Unless someond uses Detect Evil during one of these dreams or there is enough residue to be picked up on by other PC's or NPC's.

Most Wizards dont go into churches on a regular basis anyway. ;D

CUTHLU FOR PRESIDENT!!
WHY CHOSE A LESSER EVIL?

or did we?

Offline Walt

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2008, 02:00:08 AM »
Good idea. I was also thinking on the line of using the PC as sacrifice for the fire demon. But than the "good guys" killed the master of the PC. (and for this he still seeks revenge - will be interesting)
So, like you supposed, now the demon needs the ex-apprentice. But what kind of deal had the master of the PC with the demon? It should fit into the Jaiman scenery of 6050 TE.
I was wondering if this fire demon was banished by a concurrent...or by some powers of Good, but this sounds trivial. Or perhabs by Sulton? Punished for disobedience??
In one of the last sessions, where this PC-Magician messed around with some old portal, trying to close it and stumbling-fumbling with primal Essaence the demon helped him, trying to break through at the same time...
Which big demons are aournd in Jaiman 6050? For sure the Ordainer in Iron Wind...

Offline Fornitus

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2008, 06:00:31 PM »
 I cant find that module I was snaging stuff from last week. ???

It had a description of the 7 Wards and the Ordainer tryp stuff in it. You probaly have it. The one where Ka'dena is traped on a isle as a gorgodon. Running around on a Demon chariot in a basement area.

It has nothing specific except Tel'uriod the Red in it, but gives O.K. guide lines and flavor for such demons.
CUTHLU FOR PRESIDENT!!
WHY CHOSE A LESSER EVIL?

or did we?

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2008, 10:18:36 PM »
I cant find that module I was snaging stuff from last week. ???

It had a description of the 7 Wards and the Ordainer tryp stuff in it. You probaly have it. The one where Ka'dena is traped on a isle as a gorgodon. Running around on a Demon chariot in a basement area.

It has nothing specific except Tel'uriod the Red in it, but gives O.K. guide lines and flavor for such demons.

Demons of the Burning Night.

The gorgon is a daughter of kadena, turned into an immortal gorgon by a potion.

lynn
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline Walt

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2008, 02:43:05 AM »
Thanks Fornitus,

I?ve got the strong feeling that your own ideas and impressions help me much more than any module! All the SW modules I know are "static". There?s much more creative output in discussion!

I still looking for a second layer. At the moment the player (and the group) is puzzling ?bout the demon. And perhabs sometime they will realize that the master of the PC was the evil one. I?m wondering which reason for the demon to come back to Kulthea could there be so that he even could help the forces of good, for example replacing some really bad thing through only a bad thing? Or something completly different?

Offline Old Man

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Campaign Nook
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2008, 05:04:53 PM »

I've use a couple of themes (non-SW) based on the premise that Demons are from other plane(t)s but not necessarily evil:

- An arch-mage wants to bind a demon (ala Chaos-armor) but must find a willing one from a Light-aligned plane or defeat one in combat
- A player as a "demon" travelling from his plane(t) where Darkness has won, to the player's world where they have an artifact he hopes to bring home when they are done with it

Perhaps the Demon seeks the players to return with him/her to assist on their world. Or help him/her find something and return with it.

Regards,
Old Man

** Yes, some of ROCO IV and VII is my fault. **

Offline Fornitus

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2008, 07:32:51 PM »
 Any version of hell will have its own politics. So the Demons goal may be just as simple as thwarting the success and advancement of a Rival or the Lord of the Rival.
 It would seem that as humans use Demons as a tool to struggle back and forth, so to would the Demons find uses for humans in their ouw internal struggles. ;D
 If this fits then the Demon is thinking of Sun Tzu's famous line-
    "The enemy of my enemy os my freind" (for now... :evil1:)
 So to thwart a Demon rival the Demon may "help" paladins and such to attack the opisition.
 After all, just your a "good guy" dosent mean you cant be manipuliated.
CUTHLU FOR PRESIDENT!!
WHY CHOSE A LESSER EVIL?

or did we?

Offline dutch206

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2008, 12:32:16 AM »
Remember that one of the lords of Charon used to be one of the gods of Aranmor.  (I can't think of her name right now, of course).  Maybe she won't take so kindly to people poking around in her old stomping grounds.....
"Cthulhu is the bacon of gaming." -John Kovalic, author of "Dork Tower"