Author Topic: The great Rhaya debate -- final chapter  (Read 3156 times)

Offline dutch206

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
The great Rhaya debate -- final chapter
« on: June 02, 2008, 06:56:17 PM »
I have started this thread on two separate occasions (and the other two threads are somewhere in the archives for the newer members).  After a total re-read of all information I could find on Jaiman, I think I have finally managed to answer my question.

The original question from a few years ago was "What are the seven dialects of Rhaya which are mentioned in Shadow World books?"  I could only ever find six, and it was annoying me to death.  I'm like a dog with a bone when something starts bouncing around in my brain, and I've never completely given up on finding the answer to this trivial pursuit.

Some of the names of these dialects are based on languages mentioned in Shadow World modules, and some of them I made up.  The ones I made up were named after the first know ruler of that region of Jaiman.

Dialects of Rhaya
  • Ranaka:  Spoken by the Duranaki of Tanara
  • Mera:  Spoken by the Laan of Wulris ("the untouched")
  • Raal:  Saralis
  • Larian:  U-Lyshak
  • Zorin:  Nomads of the Zor Wastes, Rhakhaan, Cloudlords of Tanara
  • Quells:  Formerly spoken in Lu'nak, now a very rare language
  • Nureti:  Formerly spoken on the Isle of Aranmor, now a very rare language

The turning point came with my discovery that the recipients of the Pegasus Crown were the Duranaki, not the Cloudlords.  If the Duranaki ruled a crown kingdom, then their language must be related to Rhaya in some manner.

I would suggest that learning a dialect to 8 ranks written/spoken would give you total fluency in your chosen dialect only.  10 ranks written/spoken would give you total fluency in the first five dialects on the list.  15 ranks written/spoken would give you total fluency in all seven dialects.  (I decided this because Quellbourne and Aranmor are both ancient societies which no longer exist.  In the centuries since their demise, Rhaya must have changed.)
"Cthulhu is the bacon of gaming." -John Kovalic, author of "Dork Tower"

Offline Vince

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: The great Rhaya debate -- final chapter
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2008, 12:21:35 PM »
Well, it seems good. But which ones are mentioned in the "official" books?

Order of the Iron Crown

(RM2+ Shadow World+ GM)

Offline dutch206

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2008, 04:30:35 PM »
Let's see...Ranaka and Zorin are mentioned in "Cloudlords"

Quells is mentioned in "Quellbourne".

Nureti and Black Nureti are mentioned in "Demons of the Burning Night".

And....

Mera is mentioned in "Sky Giants of the Brass Stair"

The fact that the Duranaki were the original recipients of the Pegasus Crown was mentioned in stock # 6010 "Jaiman, Land of Twilight".
"Cthulhu is the bacon of gaming." -John Kovalic, author of "Dork Tower"

Offline Vince

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2008, 06:23:54 AM »
5/7. Very good. For me , they are now the official names   and you deserve an idea point ;)

Order of the Iron Crown

(RM2+ Shadow World+ GM)