Author Topic: Differences between the versions of the master atlas  (Read 4245 times)

Offline Kane

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Differences between the versions of the master atlas
« on: May 12, 2008, 04:24:06 PM »
Probably an old question, but what are the major differences between the different versions of the master atlas?  Is it worth picking up the 1st or 2nd edition if you have 3rd or 4th?

Kane

Offline egdcltd

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +70/-70
    • Azukail Games
Re: Differences between the versions of the master atlas
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2008, 05:45:21 PM »
I'd say there isn't really anything in the first edition that isn't included in the fourth. Don't know about second or third editions though.
I made some things! Azukail Games

Offline vroomfogle

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2008, 09:50:47 PM »
I hope someone else can confirm this because I'm not 100% certain, but if I recall...

egdcltd is correct, everything is covered from the 1st and 2nd edition atlases.  However, the Atlas Addendum that went along with the 1st edition does have some information that is only available there, specifically the sections on Artifacts, Places of Power, and Lost Technology.    I suspect Terry's plan had been to incorporate this material into "Artifacts & Lost Technology" book but that seems off the radar now.

Offline mathhatt

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2008, 03:41:10 AM »
I hope someone else can confirm this because I'm not 100% certain, but if I recall...
(...)  However, the Atlas Addendum that went along with the 1st edition does have some information that is only available there, specifically the sections on Artifacts, Places of Power, and Lost Technology.

Yes you are correct ;)
"The world is changed. I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air. Much that once was, is lost, for none now live who remember it."
-- Galadriel, The Lord of the Rings, The Fellowship of the Ring. --

Offline egdcltd

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +70/-70
    • Azukail Games
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2008, 05:24:27 AM »
Would that be the Atlas Addendum from the Emer boxed set? There's a few bits in that that I don't think are covered elsewhere.

Would it be possible to start doing an Artifacts & Technology book as a collaborative effort? You could have a fair amount of stuff merely by scavenging from previously published books, and Terry's Magic Item of the Month, although new stuff would be nice.

Offline Guillaume

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Kulthean Fanatic
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2008, 05:33:16 AM »
There's also differences in the NPCs described in the Loremaster and Navigator Sections. ( NPCs that appears in Atlas 1/2/AA that does not appear anywhere else )

So in general what is in the Atlas 1 or 2 is covered in Atlas 3 or 4. But in some particular cases ( NPCs, Artifacts, Technology, ... ) the information is only available in the Atlas 1, the Atlas 2 and/or the Emer box Atlas Addendum.

I think we had a thread about these differences in the old forums... Maybe it is stuck somewhere in the archives.

Edit : Oh, and I forgot !!!! The Spell Lists !!!! Essaence, Navigator and Loremaster Base lists. That can only be found is SWMA1 & 2.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2008, 05:39:08 AM by Guillaume »
514 to see, 416 to lock, 614 to shot...Target downed...Ask the marines to pick up the pieces.

RM, RM2, RMSS, RMFRP, HARP,  MERP, Cyberspace, SM, SM2, SM:P, Star Strike, Armored Assault, SD , SD : The Next Millenium, Bladestorm, Battle of the Five Armies .... Collecting ICE production since the epoch...

Offline egdcltd

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +70/-70
    • Azukail Games
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2008, 05:45:19 AM »
Edit : Oh, and I forgot !!!! The Spell Lists !!!! Essaence, Navigator and Loremaster Base lists. That can only be found is SWMA1 & 2.

Some available here too: http://homepage.mac.com/terbob/FileSharing1.html

Offline Guillaume

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Kulthean Fanatic
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2008, 05:53:01 AM »
They are the same. They are available on Terry's site because people knew they existed, but couldn't find them in Atlas 3 and 4.
514 to see, 416 to lock, 614 to shot...Target downed...Ask the marines to pick up the pieces.

RM, RM2, RMSS, RMFRP, HARP,  MERP, Cyberspace, SM, SM2, SM:P, Star Strike, Armored Assault, SD , SD : The Next Millenium, Bladestorm, Battle of the Five Armies .... Collecting ICE production since the epoch...

Offline Kane

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2008, 07:35:45 PM »
Just wanted to let you know that I picked up the 1st edition boxed set for $5.00 off ebay and when it arrived today, I opened the box and in addition to the 1st edition books it also had the Ogrillion Horror, Journey to the Magic Isle, and Quellbourne all in near mint condition.  That was a very pleasant surprise.  Lots of Shadow World to read.

Kane

Offline metallion

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Winterdream Online
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2008, 05:53:54 PM »
Kane,

Orgillion Horror was a Call of Cthulu reject that got a Kulthean coat of paint slapped onto it.  Magic Isle is pretty cool, but not really tied into to SW very much.