Author Topic: What order should I buy the regional books?  (Read 3482 times)

Offline Kane

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
What order should I buy the regional books?
« on: May 10, 2008, 07:20:20 PM »
I've only got the Master Atlas and I need to space out getting the other regional books to avoid the dreaded wrath of the wife.  What order would you recommend picking up the regional books?  Second question, are the module books good for regional information?  If so, are there any modules that I should get before the regional books?  Thank you.

Kane

Offline mathhatt

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: What order should I buy the regional books?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2008, 05:23:35 AM »
It depends on where (which continent/region) you plan to play?
"The world is changed. I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air. Much that once was, is lost, for none now live who remember it."
-- Galadriel, The Lord of the Rings, The Fellowship of the Ring. --

Offline Kane

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2008, 07:10:05 AM »
Right now I'm buying them to get a better feel for the entire setting.  I expect it will be some time before I actually get a game going.

Kane

Offline egdcltd

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +70/-70
    • Azukail Games
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2008, 07:35:09 AM »
For the best feel, I think you need Jaiman and Emer I & 2 first. Then maybe Eidolon and Haalkitaine.
I made some things! Azukail Games

Offline Guillaume

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Kulthean Fanatic
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2008, 12:08:18 PM »
I agree I'd say Jaiman first, then I'd take Haalkitaine to complete/update Jaiman, Emer I & II followed by Eidolon.

Jaiman describe what happens on the continent of that name, while Hallkitaine concentrate on the Realm of Rhakhaan on that continent.

Emer I & II describes each a quarter of the continent named Emer ( we are silently waiting for the others :P ) while Eidolon describes  a city state on the north of that continent.

I'd add to that list the Grand Campaign, it's a book that never was, but you can find it in Terry's site, and even maybe in the Vault for free.
514 to see, 416 to lock, 614 to shot...Target downed...Ask the marines to pick up the pieces.

RM, RM2, RMSS, RMFRP, HARP,  MERP, Cyberspace, SM, SM2, SM:P, Star Strike, Armored Assault, SD , SD : The Next Millenium, Bladestorm, Battle of the Five Armies .... Collecting ICE production since the epoch...

Offline Witchking20k

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2008, 04:11:44 PM »
Jaiman & Haalkitaine alone can entertain you for months.  After that I like Qullebourne (for some fun low-level stuff), Orgillion Horror, and Demons of the "Good Luck Survivning" Burning Night.  The PDF releases are great.....
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2008, 04:59:59 PM »
And now for Jaiman there is the new Xa-ar module!  ;-)
Terry K. Amthor
Shadow World Author, Rolemaster & SpaceMaster Co-Designer, ICE co-founder.
Eidolon Studio Art Director

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline Witchking20k

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2008, 08:56:42 PM »
Haven't ordered it yet......else I woulda plugged it..... ;)

Offline Walt

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2008, 02:18:45 AM »
It depends really what you are looking for, what kind of style.
I can only advise on the things I know, and this are the northern continents (Jaiman & Emer). Because we seperated the settings between two GMs, giving both the possibility also to play on Shadow World.
That?s why I know "Nomads" and, I think "Desert Jewel" and also "Star Crown Empire" onl briefly. For sure it?s they?ve a completly different setting, more nomadic, china, mongolic style. But perhaps somebody else can comment on them.

As the decision for a starter pack, I would prefer fo sure Jaiman. Emer is,for the start, too big in my opinion.
So Jaiman would be your best option. To give you a feeling about the "roots", I would advice to Tanara. That?s one of the best settings I ever read. But, it?s playing in the "past".
And if you fastly would like to start with adventuring, go for Norek. With some minor adjustments that?s the only realy ready to run module for Shadow World. Even if it?s got a little bit the flair of dungeon crawling (like I said, some litte adjustments, and it?s really a nice Shadow World setting)

Keep in mind that for all this campaigns and modules you have to put yourself a lot of work into it! Non is really fully and deeply developed, mostly they are in conflict with them self, and you will find dramtic power level changes! So prepare for a lot of work of yourself if you really wan?t to play a rich and fitting campaign!

Offline Witchking20k

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2008, 03:49:55 PM »
I like the "adventurous" feeling of Jaiman.  And if you want politics etc....Haalkitaine can be purchased to provide,