Author Topic: Reviews of the novels?  (Read 4646 times)

Offline Kane

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Reviews of the novels?
« on: May 09, 2008, 03:37:47 PM »
Having had a mixed experience with novels based on role playing settings, I was wondering about the forum's opinion about the 4 Shadow World novels.  Are the novels worth seeking out?  Is it better to pick up the adventure books before getting the novels to get a better feel for the setting?

Kane

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Reviews of the novels?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2008, 04:20:09 PM »
The only one worth finding and reading in order to get a feel for the setting would be Storm Riders by Roxanne Longstreet.

None of the rest come anywhere near capturing the feel of Shadow World.

Offline ob1knorrb

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +150/-150
    • ICE Roleplaying WebRing
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2008, 04:51:34 PM »
I'd second that opinion. 
"The Burning Goddess" wasn't really that horrible, but it wasn't Shadow World
"Clock Strikes Sword" was so far out in left field that I didn't even finish reading it.
"City of Assassins" I don't think I have ever actually read, so I can't offer an opinion on it.

I'd also suggest getting the ICE printing of Stormriders rather than the ACE version, if you have a choice.  The ACE version is condensed from the ICE version.
Brent Knorr...
Ringmaster:ICE Roleplaying Webring - http://www.icewebring.com

Offline kedrake

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Land of Osmar
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2008, 05:54:19 PM »
I have a copy of Storm Riders I'd let go to a new owner for $5.00 (plus shipping).
If there is a turd in the punch bowl, adding more punch isn't going to help.

http://home.comcast.net/~kerrydrake/HARP

Offline ob1knorrb

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +150/-150
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2008, 05:56:26 PM »
Which version?
Brent Knorr...

Offline kedrake

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Land of Osmar
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2008, 09:02:43 PM »
It's on my bookshelf at work, I'll check it monday.

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2008, 09:38:32 PM »
I concure, Storm Riders is the best, the others not so much. I think we need some new ones that truly reflect the world. Maybe something like a bunch of short stories set in different places........hhhhhmmmmmm.....
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2008, 07:54:29 AM »
Just my 2?, Stormriders was the only one done while I was at ICE full-time, and I proofread it and approved it. It was not exactly my 'style' but I enjoyed her take on the world.

I had nothing to do with the others; I had left ICE by then. Imagine my surprise to walk into a bookstore and see the Shadow World logo on a paperback I'd never heard of, and on books that (apparently) had little or nothing to do with the world as it had been conceived. Kind of like some of the modules. Unfortunate. Well maybe one day Shadowstone will be done and I'll try to get it published. I imagined it as a pretty massive trilogy though and it's still in part one...
Terry K. Amthor
Shadow World Author, Rolemaster & SpaceMaster Co-Designer, ICE co-founder.
Eidolon Studio Art Director

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline Kane

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2008, 07:18:18 PM »
Thank you.  I'll look for Stormriders by ICE.  Terry you alluded to some modules you might not be happy with, are you willing to share which ones those were?

Kane

Offline Dax

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2008, 04:54:08 AM »
Terry you alluded to some modules you might not be happy with, are you willing to share which ones those were?

Might be not very business smart  ::)   :-X

BTW Bruce is also looking for a copy of that book:

Also, Bruce is looking for a hard copy of the Shadow World novel, Stormriders, by Roxanne Longstreet. If you have an extra copy and are willing to part with it, please let me know in a PM.

R.I.P.    rpgrm.com

Offline egdcltd

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +70/-70
    • Azukail Games
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2008, 06:01:38 AM »
Thank you.  I'll look for Stormriders by ICE.  Terry you alluded to some modules you might not be happy with, are you willing to share which ones those were?

Kane

I'm sure I read that in an old post, but I can't find it anywhere. I think the least favourite were Sky Giants of the Brass Stair, The Ogrillon Horror, and (maybe) Curse of Kabis. The last purely for the outcome I think.

Also, Gethaena Underneath Emer leaves a rather large hole in Uj if the last part is played.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2008, 06:06:48 AM by egdcltd »
I made some things! Azukail Games

Offline Guillaume

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Kulthean Fanatic
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2008, 12:16:16 PM »
I'm sure I read that in an old post, but I can't find it anywhere. I think the least favourite were Sky Giants of the Brass Stair, The Ogrillon Horror, and (maybe) Curse of Kabis. The last purely for the outcome I think.

Also, Gethaena Underneath Emer leaves a rather large hole in Uj if the last part is played.

The list was IIRC in the old forums... ( those that have the facts right correct me if I'm wrong :D )
Basically what I remember of it is :
- Orgillion Horror was a Cthulhu adventure that was rejected by Chaosium that ended up in Shadow World
- Curse of Kabis, while being a good campaign has nothing to do in Shadow World ( hmm, maybe Kabis will pop in to provide further informations after that invocation :D )
- Gethaena, while being a real Shadow World book, is the adaptation of an adventure that was created during the Loremaster Serie ( so prior Shadow World ) but never went in print ( in some MERP book it appears under the name The Gates of Gehaenna )
There's a few others but I forgot about them...
514 to see, 416 to lock, 614 to shot...Target downed...Ask the marines to pick up the pieces.

RM, RM2, RMSS, RMFRP, HARP,  MERP, Cyberspace, SM, SM2, SM:P, Star Strike, Armored Assault, SD , SD : The Next Millenium, Bladestorm, Battle of the Five Armies .... Collecting ICE production since the epoch...

Offline munchy

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Munch Companion
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2008, 02:46:35 PM »
I also liked clock strikes sword which I found not really a Shadow World novel but I really enjoyed reading it. Nice setting, nice ideas, interesting characters. A good read but no Shadow Word novel.
Get Real, Get Rolemaster!
Be Sharp, Play HARP!

Offline kedrake

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Land of Osmar
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2008, 10:46:12 AM »
OK, I have StormRiders by Roxanne Longstreet, and it says on the back "Produced and distributed by ICE, PO Box 1605, Charlottesville, VA

It has ICE stock number #6200 on it, and ISBN 1-55806-138-X ICE695

It cetainly appears to be the ICE printing to me.

Offline DonMoody

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2008, 11:55:27 AM »
If no one else has spoken up, I'm interested.

DonMoody

Offline ob1knorrb

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +150/-150
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2008, 03:52:11 PM »
OK, I have StormRiders by Roxanne Longstreet, and it says on the back "Produced and distributed by ICE, PO Box 1605, Charlottesville, VA

It has ICE stock number #6200 on it, and ISBN 1-55806-138-X ICE695

It cetainly appears to be the ICE printing to me.

That would be the one.  I think it was mentioned somewhere in the thread that Bruce is looking for a copy, if you are willing to part with it I'll bet he'd be happy to get it from you.
Brent Knorr...