Author Topic: NPC Stats  (Read 4015 times)

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
NPC Stats
« on: January 27, 2008, 11:03:45 AM »
Sorry if this has been covered before. I have been looking over the SW Master Atlases (for RM2 and RMSS) and have noticed the NPCs ridiculously high attributes. How did they get that high? I have not come across anything an any RM version that would do that - except temporarily.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline PiXeL01

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Seeing things from the top of Mt. Fuji
Re: NPC Stats
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2008, 12:13:00 PM »
Companion IV (as well as earlier I think) has rules on Potential gains if temporary has reached Pot.
PiXeL01 - RM2/RMC Fanboy

I think violence in games only causes violence in real life if the person in question has an insufficient mental capacity to deal with the real world in the first place. But, that's more the fault of poor genetics and poorer parenting than it is the fault of a videogame

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2008, 12:18:34 PM »
 :DThis has been covered.

Terry makes what he wants.  Hard to argue that point since I am a full supporter of GM fiat.

There are no mechanics for making the bad a$$ muthus you find in SW...or in the old LoME series, either.  There is just what I imagine as Terry mulling over his NPC and asking "compared to a normal PC with a max 102 attribute, what should this gawdlings stat be?"

lynn
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2008, 01:59:32 PM »
I thought it was something like: "I want it that way, so there it is!" But just checking in case there was something in the rules.

I have RoCo IV so will be checking in there - though I was under the impression that the RoCos weren't "canon" as far as rules went. (Not that that matters.   ;D)
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Offline Guillaume

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Kulthean Fanatic
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2008, 01:10:27 AM »
There's also rules similar to the RMC IV ones in the Lords of Middle Earth Volume 1, along with rules to create characters with ridiculously high stats.
 :)

The combination of the RMC IV and LOME I is quite deadly.
514 to see, 416 to lock, 614 to shot...Target downed...Ask the marines to pick up the pieces.

RM, RM2, RMSS, RMFRP, HARP,  MERP, Cyberspace, SM, SM2, SM:P, Star Strike, Armored Assault, SD , SD : The Next Millenium, Bladestorm, Battle of the Five Armies .... Collecting ICE production since the epoch...

Offline Mider

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2008, 11:25:28 AM »
Also, they have lived some times hundreds if not thousands of years, there could be rituals or items that impart the high stats.  Also, the "PC" stats that are listed in the books were to make the game more balanced, think of how hard it was in the old AD&D to get above 18:00.  Every tick was suppose to cost a limited wish spell to get.

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2008, 12:00:59 PM »
That is why, in AD&D you only saw gods with incredible attributes. These guys on Kulthea (not gods, just immortal elves and such) would be running around with the equivalent in AD&D of 21-30 attributes in ALL -  even physical stats for mages. A little "over-the-top" I say. You couple that with the fact that they are all 50th to 100th level (with a few very special individuals over 100th level) and you have some seriously godlike NPCs.

I think they would have been fine if you keep the levels (they have lived for millenia in most cases), but lowered their stats, especially the ones that are not key to their profession. Like a magician could have his strength in the 90s - not in the 110-115. If you don't want it so "low" then go with 101-103. That is still much stronger than 99% of the population. His prime stats could stay as they are so they are still a major bad a$$ in what they do, just not also one in something the profession is not supposed to be (though they are still really great there).

Offline Marc R

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2008, 12:45:34 PM »
plenty of bits and peices out there to pick up 101+ stats.

A few magic items, a few herbs, one spell list I can think of. . . the "Calesthenics" skill from Arms Companion (Woo-eee is that a totally whackjob skill designed for a munchkin)
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com