Author Topic: EssCo Magic Ritual questions  (Read 2699 times)

Online netbat

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
EssCo Magic Ritual questions
« on: January 19, 2008, 05:12:26 PM »
In looking at how the Essence Companion treats magic ritual I came up with a couple of questions:
  • Using the Power Manipulation SM table, is this an all or nothing or % maneuvor? ie can I succeed by getting above 75 three time(didn't fail, 40% complete each time), above 90 once followed by above 100(near success, roll again at +10), or above 110.
  • The text states that it is difficult to combine spell effects so there is a penalty for each additional ritual class. What is the penalty?
  • How do you combine multiple casters? Can they each have a different ritual class to meet the smallest skill bonus requirement for multiple classes? Do they use the coordinated or uncoordinated group skill rules from SoHK and reduce the time?
  • The number of influence formula seems incorrect. As written, all rituals require 2 influences unless the base roll is a sheer folly or absurd, doesn't that defeat the purpose of requiring multiple influences?
  • Finally, can you use more influences than required to get the bonus?

Thanks for the answers in advance.
There is no frigate like a book to take us lands away -
                                                   Emily Dickenson

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: EssCo Magic Ritual questions
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2008, 02:36:51 AM »
 First before looking at the books I can say that SoHK came out after EC so the rules may have to be tweeked to prevent over powering of rituals.

I will take a look at them in the next couple of days and let you know. But until then you might want to check for errata in the vault or Brent Knorrs website as he has a lot of rules explanations. But be careful as to the rule set, RM2, RMSS, RMFRP, RMC etc.

The author I think is Nicholos H Caldwell from the GuildCompanion.com, and he is good about looking at these boards and getting back to people.

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2008, 08:48:41 AM »

The author I think is Nicholos H Caldwell from the GuildCompanion.com, and he is good about looking at these boards and getting back to people.

MDC

Essence Companion was written by Rich Kirkland and Scott Moore, not me.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2008, 05:27:34 PM »

MDC

Sorry
MDC

Essence Companion was written by Rich Kirkland and Scott Moore, not me.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Dark Schneider

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • El único, genial e inimitable Dark Schneider.
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2008, 06:17:51 AM »
I think the EC and MC version are the best, for channeling use the EC version. But, as SOHK says, they should be adjusted to evade abuse or overpowering it.

I like the idea of using the user level from SOHK, so I usually use the skill as EC says but with changes:

- Use the user level instead the magic ritual ranks to determine the difficulty.
- You need the same ranks (or more of course) in magic ritual than the level of the spell you want to cast.
- I usually don't allow to cast other realm spells. Maybe only if the skills for those rituals are restricted (for ALL, independent if skill is originally everyman, that is only for own realm ritual skills), and using the EC penalties.

If a non-spell users wants to do a magic ritual, it needs PP, so it must develop the ritual skill and the PP skill.

The use of various ritualists can be used to add level, usually it should be added half the levels of other ritualist, as you add half the other levels of spells combined in ritual (EC rules).

This is for essence/channeling that use the EC rules, for mentalism I see correct the MC rules, because it can be powerfull, but at the same time dangerous, failures have a high price to pay from ritualists.