Author Topic: Kaitaine: So, What happened next?  (Read 9184 times)

Offline dutch206

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Kaitaine: So, What happened next?
« on: January 11, 2008, 06:20:46 PM »
When last we left the beleaguered guild council of Kaitaine, they were told that Kaitaine had to join "the Alliance" before the end of 6053, or they would be considered an enemy of the state.  That was 27 days before the end of 6053.

The timeline for SW is now well into 6054 and no mention was ever made of what got decided.  Did Kaitaine cave in under pressure, or did the Loremasters find a way to come to their assistance?  ???
"Cthulhu is the bacon of gaming." -John Kovalic, author of "Dork Tower"

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
Re: Kaitaine: So, What happened next?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2008, 06:45:55 PM »
Good question!

Kaitaine, vulnerable after the damage wreaked by the fires, and lured by offers of funds for rebuilding, agrees to become an Alliance member, because the Loremasters have little of substance to offer. Komaren and Itanis are concerned as they see Alliance ships in the harbor, and many more Alliance troops in the previously independant city-state.
Terry K. Amthor
Shadow World Author, Rolemaster & SpaceMaster Co-Designer, ICE co-founder.
Eidolon Studio Art Director

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline dutch206

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2008, 09:57:32 PM »
I am assuming this is TKA using his "official ruling" voice.  ;D

Thanks for the info.  Now to decide on the mood of my campaign:  Evil Empire or benevolent trade network?  (I don't necessarily see the Alliance as being a bad thing.)

Offline Vince

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2008, 05:38:00 AM »
Well, it seems to me that the Alliance gets too much control in everything that was first agreed.

I don't think of them as something good... after all, someone (problably K'ta'viiris) decided to capture them and close them in that special jail.

Order of the Iron Crown

(RM2+ Shadow World+ GM)

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2008, 11:50:09 AM »
I am assuming this is TKA using his "official ruling" voice.  ;D

Thanks for the info.  Now to decide on the mood of my campaign:  Evil Empire or benevolent trade network?  (I don't necessarily see the Alliance as being a bad thing.)

You do know that the Alliance is led by powerful mind-beings that destroy the host's mind in order to take over their bodies? That is not beneficial in my book, and about as evil as one could get.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline Vince

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2008, 01:17:35 PM »
Defininetely is a bad thing losing your mind  ;D , but not sure if that is evil, as an Arnak Priest can be.

They have not other way to live, it's like a parasite , he needs that mind to live. Maybe while in possesion of a body he wants no damage to others. But his actions are very near of the dark elves dyaris.... Maybe they are affected by the host  ???

Don't think so. I believe their true motiviations are power hungry, but maybe they are not completely evil.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2008, 08:11:15 PM by Vince »

Order of the Iron Crown

(RM2+ Shadow World+ GM)

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2008, 04:44:50 PM »
No, they may not be evil per se, but they are definately bad - coming from a resident of Kulthea point of view. I would call something bad if it possessed my friend Jay's mind and in so doing destroyed his. Power hungry is bad also. It denotes wanting power for powers sake, no moral/just reason, just wants power. Bad doggie. No treat.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2008, 06:28:01 PM »
Heh, as for my "official ruling" voice, well, you wanted something to advance Kaitaine in the timeline (Vroomfogle are you reading?) but of course do as you please.

As for the bdiless creatures, you make them sound like the Stargate Goua'ould (sp?) But I assure you they were not based on them. Though they were inspired by something else. They are not really 'evil' as such, but they do require a host 'mother' to create a new body... Their mindset is quite alien however.
Terry K. Amthor
Shadow World Author, Rolemaster & SpaceMaster Co-Designer, ICE co-founder.
Eidolon Studio Art Director

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline vroomfogle

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2008, 07:56:30 PM »
I am most certainly am reading.  Do you have a more exact date for that?

Offline dutch206

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2008, 02:14:42 PM »
(Vroom, IIRC, the deadline for the decision of Kaitaine was the last day of 6053 TEI.)

The leaders of the Alliance may be mental parasites, but look at the evidence.  Are they abusing or exploiting their citizens?  The influx of financial aid and soldiers is likely to save the city of Kaitaine from oblivion.

Offline Vince

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2008, 02:07:32 PM »
(Vroom, IIRC, the deadline for the decision of Kaitaine was the last day of 6053 TEI.)

The leaders of the Alliance may be mental parasites, but look at the evidence.  Are they abusing or exploiting their citizens?  The influx of financial aid and soldiers is likely to save the city of Kaitaine from oblivion.

Well, i haven't read that anywhere, only some The guilds begins to rebuild the city undaunted, but not direct relation with the Alliance. And they don't accept a "No thank you" for answer...

And Terry, sure they make a new baby, a new life form totally for them, like a Father, but meanwhile they took absolut control of the mother, so it's at least disgusting for human point of view :-P  ...

Order of the Iron Crown

(RM2+ Shadow World+ GM)

Offline DonMoody

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2008, 03:50:43 PM »
They're parasitic; i.e. require a host.

And in this case (unlike many parasites*), they essentially kill the host, which is quite problematic for the host.

DonMoody

* Yes, many parasites weaken the host and the host's lifespan is often shortened because of complications of this 'weakening'.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2008, 04:00:29 AM »
They're parasitic; i.e. require a host.

And in this case (unlike many parasites*), they essentially kill the host, which is quite problematic for the host.

DonMoody

* Yes, many parasites weaken the host and the host's lifespan is often shortened because of complications of this 'weakening'.

Many parasites keep thier host alive because they will perish without a host. In nature thier are quite a few parasites that have benifical properties that they provide to the host so they are not all bad. Some are but quite a few are not.

But then again this is your world do what you want to with it. Give them the ability to suck people dry of mana, and then teleport up to 100' from thier next meal. Also the residue they leave behind in the person prevents them from holding mana for 1-7 day in fact specific groups harvist the residue that can be made into a potent poison that has the same effect if it enters the blood stream in large does's. [I have been RPGing for the last 2 days and my mind is in that paranoid state after experiencing too many GM traps.]
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2008, 10:50:08 AM »

And the Nazi's cut crime down to - all except the crimes they did. The Thalan DESTROY the mind of thier host....DESTROY it!!! That cannot be thought of as a good thing! Not even a sort of not-so-bad thing. I don't care that they have an ordered society and what not -  they are bad guys. Period.

Let Kaitaine fall into the sea.....better than having your mind destroyed, your sisters mind destroyed, your father, mother, childs minds destroyed! DESTROYED!

If you hate orcs and such for raiding and killing - you have to hate these guys to. The person is just as dead - no matter that their corpse is walking around with something else in it.

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2008, 07:50:31 PM »

And the Nazi's cut crime down to - all except the crimes they did. The Thalan DESTROY the mind of thier host....DESTROY it!!! That cannot be thought of as a good thing! Not even a sort of not-so-bad thing. I don't care that they have an ordered society and what not -  they are bad guys. Period.

Let Kaitaine fall into the sea.....better than having your mind destroyed, your sisters mind destroyed, your father, mother, childs minds destroyed! DESTROYED!

If you hate orcs and such for raiding and killing - you have to hate these guys to. The person is just as dead - no matter that their corpse is walking around with something else in it.

And that's why I hate vampires, and was not a great Vampire the Middle Ages or Masquerade GM.

lynn
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2008, 09:11:07 PM »
If vampirism is a demonic possession type-thing (like in Buffy) and not a viral/genetic alteration thing (like in Moonlight, I think?), then it is the same thing, so yes, BAD. You don't want it to happen to anyone and would/should fight them whenever possible.

Offline Arioch

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Blood & Souls for Arioch!
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2008, 07:12:08 AM »

Well, "Destroy" is such a indelicate word... let's say that we... ehm they change the mind of their "host" (another not very pleasant word, I would say "friend")! Actually, someone could even see this change as an improvement, a new wonderful way to see the world!

;) ;D
I suppose a magician might, he admitted, but a gentleman never could.

Offline fac

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Shadow World's aficionado
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2008, 07:35:35 AM »
I can't agree with the position of some of you regarding evil thalan, I understand that they don't destroy the mind of the host. IMHO, they are pure mental energy that can interact with a woman to get her pregnant and be their own father.

I would think more than they are jealous of the people with body and they want one, maybe they pay a price leaving the bodiless existence so they can be killed.

In the timeline of the Atlas, near the end I read:
Agyra: One of the Inner Circle of the Alliance is assassinated by a prist of the Silver Dawn.

Although it's not clear if it's one of the Brotherhood or maybe a high rank Jenaar, I find more interesting that the thalan pays the price of the true inmortality to be "real", that turns them into a less pure evil being but more human.

You must feel the thought and think the feeling

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2008, 07:59:55 AM »
I could care less WHAT causes vampirism.  It is the fact that ALL VAMPIRES FEED ON HUMANITY that paint a big "must destroy" sign on them ;)

lynn
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline DonMoody

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2008, 01:06:17 PM »
Semantics.

Word it however you like, the Alliance takes over people.

From the PoV of 'the ones that get taken over', it is not a good thing.

DonMoody