Author Topic: Elor once Dark  (Read 8540 times)

Offline munchy

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Munch Companion
Re: Elor once Dark
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2008, 03:11:32 AM »
Is that VI, got to check that, there is one definitely in RMC I.
Get Real, Get Rolemaster!
Be Sharp, Play HARP!

Offline GM

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Nerdcon
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2008, 06:20:52 AM »
It's on page 47 in RMC VI. I did not know Elor was mentioned in RMC I??
"It is said that the future is always born in pain. The history of war is the history of pain. If we are wise, what is born of that pain matures into the promise of a better world, because we learn that we can no longer afford the mistakes of the past."

G'Kar - Babylon 5

Offline munchy

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Munch Companion
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2008, 06:20:27 PM »
Nah, right, I confused that with the Black Reaver story bit in RMCI. Sorry about that.
Get Real, Get Rolemaster!
Be Sharp, Play HARP!

Offline PiXeL01

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Seeing things from the top of Mt. Fuji
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2008, 12:28:52 PM »
Thinking about overpowered farmers, in a bad campaign once we found a red dragon lairing in a barn ...

But characters like Elor could be understood maybe as a ranch owner or something like that. Though the shock on the players face when they are boomed out of there by a mage who appears to be a farmer? I wanna do that one day :D
PiXeL01 - RM2/RMC Fanboy

I think violence in games only causes violence in real life if the person in question has an insufficient mental capacity to deal with the real world in the first place. But, that's more the fault of poor genetics and poorer parenting than it is the fault of a videogame

Offline Walt

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2008, 12:18:25 PM »
He is high in this august order, and yet one who chooses to wander the world rather than become involved in the bureaucratic heirarchy. He is considered by his peers as one of the wisest yet most unpredictable Loremasters. His title refers to when he allegedly fell to evil for a time. This tale is completely unsubstantiated, however. To some he is known as Elor Duo-deca Dark.

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2008, 06:15:54 PM »
Elor is hardly what I would call an over powered NPC.  High level, yes.  But his skills, spells, stats, abilities and the like are all very reasonable.  In fact, for a 45th level NPC, he is a little weak on they physical side.  But then, he sorta should be.  He is a MYSTIC, not a brutish fighter.  For spying and info gathering mixed with very reasonable offensive spell ability, a Mystic is great, but no knock down the wall Mage or Sorcerer.

Elor has some real personality.  A bit of a caraciture perhaps, but much more fun than another ALL POWERFUL NPC that leaves the players wondering why doesnt this guy just take care of the problem(s)?

lynn
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2008, 12:53:24 AM »
Thinking about overpowered farmers, in a bad campaign once we found a red dragon lairing in a barn ...

Wow. I am assuming that was a giant's barn..... ;D

But characters like Elor could be understood maybe as a ranch owner or something like that. Though the shock on the players face when they are boomed out of there by a mage who appears to be a farmer? I wanna do that one day :D

Personally, I do not like the uber-mage/farmer. It sort of reminds me of Tom Bombadil in LotR - pointless. Not to say there can't be high-level mages as farmers, just don't care for it myself (unless my player's are being particular butt-heads at the time  ;)).
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2008, 03:02:40 PM »
Elor has some real personality.  A bit of a caraciture perhaps, but much more fun than another ALL POWERFUL NPC that leaves the players wondering why doesnt this guy just take care of the problem(s)?

Hmm, who could you be referring to? There are so many.  ;-)

As for Elor, yes I rather like his character. He is based slightly on Pete Fenlon's character (and on Pete) but then most of the NPC personalities in the Shadow World are partly based on real people I know.
Terry K. Amthor
Shadow World Author, Rolemaster & SpaceMaster Co-Designer, ICE co-founder.
Eidolon Studio Art Director

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline Walt

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2008, 01:36:05 AM »
ALL POWERFUL NPC that leaves the players wondering why doesnt this guy just take care of the problem(s)?

You don?t live some thousand years standing in the front line - for this there is canon fodder like player characters.

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2008, 10:18:30 AM »
You don?t live some thousand years standing in the front line - for this there is canon fodder like player characters.

Correct.  And any player I know will also know this, but I have yet to meet ONE that agrees with this line of reasoning when THEY are fodder for the cannon ;)

lynn
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.