Author Topic: Map Scales  (Read 4608 times)

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
Map Scales
« on: December 08, 2007, 12:53:00 PM »
I know someone has brought something about this up before, but I feel like maybe it's time to do something more definitive about it. After taking a series of measurements on the Hemisphere map, the Jaiman map (from Jaiman and the Emer Map (from the Emer boxed set), it seems to me that: the Hemisphere map and the Emer map scales are about right, and also match the statistic of Kulthea being about 27,000 miles in circumference, 8,600 miles in diameter. However, the Jaiman scale is off, starting with Peter Ledger's map back in Jaiman. Like, way off. Like instead of that scale being 0, 250, 500, it should be 0, 375, 750!  THe Emer and Jaiman maps are about on the same scale with each other, but the actual scales are way off. It's been so long, I don't remember what we gave Peter L. for a scale... but all this time for areas of Jaiman, I've been referring to the Jaiman map.

Have you all noticed about the same situation?

Oh, and off topic, I just noticed that my title here has changed! Much more grandiose now! :D

Terry
Terry K. Amthor
Shadow World Author, Rolemaster & SpaceMaster Co-Designer, ICE co-founder.
Eidolon Studio Art Director

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Map Scales
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2007, 03:42:22 PM »
Gggrrrr......&#@$%#^&#%@$%&@!!

As I wrote out my original responce, my IE decided it didn't like my post so it closed down on me! Damn microsoft an their content editing programs  >:( - it wasn't that bad of a post..........

Well, I said something to the affect that in game I would play it off as the fact that different explorers and such made the maps. As for you guys who did them: Hell, I didn't even notice as the only time I see Jamain and Emer (and/or any other landmasses) together is on the main Kulthea map.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline munchy

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Munch Companion
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2007, 04:55:46 PM »
I know it is a bit of work but given those new scales, just to make sure we al (i.e. me) understand what the new scale is, could you give distances of Lethys-Haalktaine, and Haalkitaine to other major cities or places on the map, Terry?
Get Real, Get Rolemaster!
Be Sharp, Play HARP!

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2007, 06:45:41 PM »
Well by my estimated measurements, Jaiman is 50% bigger that indicated on the maps. (wow) So taking my little ruler and saying that the scale on the back of "Haalkitaine" is 150 miles rather than 100, it looks like a journey by the Old Highway from Lethys to Haalkitaine is about 450 miles (where it would have been 300).

Going back to the old Tanara map, this scale looks correct. I think Ledger somehow got wrong information when he did his map, and I unfortunately based the Haalkitaine region map on the same scale.

Jaiman just got bigger! Is it big enough for Sulthon, Jerrin, Kier, the Iron Wind and Lorgalis? Probably not...
Terry K. Amthor
Shadow World Author, Rolemaster & SpaceMaster Co-Designer, ICE co-founder.
Eidolon Studio Art Director

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline Vince

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2007, 01:48:59 PM »
W Jaiman is 50% bigger that indicated on the maps. (wow)

WOW. This change a LOT!. A lot more encounters, days travelling, and places that you don't reach with normal Teleport ranges.

Order of the Iron Crown

(RM2+ Shadow World+ GM)

Offline Stormwatch

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2008, 02:50:05 PM »
Terry:  Thanks for the message; I hadn't received the earlier warning to which you alluded.

It was obvious that sources contradicted each other; which was correct, was my question.

So, if you go back to Sky Giants of the  Brass Stair, can I assume that the scale of Wuliris given in that book is also way off and adjust accordingly?
"Bring me my Broadsword, and clear understanding
Bring me my cross of gold, as a talisman."

Offline Hawkwind

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2008, 08:31:18 PM »
I have no doubt that my players will use this as an excuse to explain why they haven't always been able to find the things they're looking for  ;D

Hawk

Offline munchy

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Munch Companion
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2010, 06:54:36 AM »
Been browsing through the forums on this matter, nice to find this thread. Had the feeling that all was a bit crammed on Jaiman and am relieved to find that it in fact was wrong. I would, however, even go further and basing realm sizes on a European map of today and maybe several points in the past (Francs, Holy Roman Empire and whatnot) and make Jaiman even a bit bigger than that. Not necessarily to have more encounters when travelling but to make Navigators more needed and to give city (states) more opportunity to cause some mischief. Lethys, if it wanted to, would not have a real chance to edge out a small temporary realm if Haalkitaine was within two weeks normal march on the well-maintained roads.
From top to bottom, north to south I would say it should be about 600 miles, close to a thousand kilometers, always nice to have round and large numbers.
This would give room for all those duchies and cities, all those traders, farms and especially some unexplored areas within the realms.
Just my two cents.
Get Real, Get Rolemaster!
Be Sharp, Play HARP!