Author Topic: RMSR - Questions about armor  (Read 2717 times)

RLogue

RMSR - Questions about armor
« on: November 24, 2007, 04:58:34 PM »
I am starting a new RM campaign and I have a few questions about armor.  It's been a great while since I last opened my RM books and the memories of how things worked is groggy.  (And please, if you know book and page references (RMSR), put that in your answers.  It helps a lot more to know where to find the words.)

For example... +10 AT 20 Plate.

Is the bonus strictly for DB only, or does it also apply to Movement Maneuver penalties?  If it applies to MM penalties, does it reduce the Minimum MM penalty?  Does the +10 bonus also apply to the Transcend Armor skill?

Is it one thing, or another?  "Okay Bob, I'm giving you a set of +10 armor.  Would you like that to be a DB bonus, a Plate Armor skill bonus, or a Transcend Armor skill bonus?"

Or should Bob be correcting me?  "Uh, no, Rich.  By the rules, the +10 applies to all those things."

Are there different answers to my questions above depending on whether the bonus is magic or non-magic?

Also, what is a helmet's bonus for?  If, for example, Bob has a +10 Helmet.  Is that +10 DB?  Seems odd to me to give the whole person +10 DB bonus from an item that only protects one area.  Is it +10 for something else?

One last thing this trip.  I seem to recall a chart or rules somewhere for mixing/matching armors and determing the AT and DB.  For instance, wearing a metal breastplate with leather greaves.  Where was that, or am I confusing other RPG systems again?

Thanks for your wonderful help!
Rich

Offline Ecthelion

• ICE Forum Moderator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Character Gallery
Re: RMSR - Questions about armor
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2007, 05:46:15 PM »
The listed armor bonuses do only apply to the DB. Treasure Companion introduces rules for armor that is made lighter (up to -15% from the armor penalties) and/or superior (reducing all armor penalties by 10) which reduces the MM penalties, Qu penalty and missile penalty. According to those rules, magical armor is always superior made and light, while non-magical armor can be crafted that way.

A helmet bonus AFAIK also adds to the DB. As I have similar reservations against helmets granting a (significant) additional DB bonus, we simply don't hand out such items. Only bonus armor and shields normally add to the DB in our group.

HARP has rules for armor by the piece, where you could have a metal breastplate and leather greaves or other combinations.

Offline Dax

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2007, 04:00:40 PM »
And the upcoming Combat Companion will introduce Armor by the Pieces
to Rolemaster (Classic).

You find a preview here: Arms Law Problems (Reply # 161)
R.I.P.    rpgrm.com

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2007, 10:24:00 PM »
 For armor by the piece, I use a simple rule helmets provide 1/2 thier bonus to DB and other items provide a max 1/3 the bonus to DB. But thier might be some cases it adds more, ie a person hiding behind a magical cloak.
 This prevents items from over shadowing the actual armor, ie I have a +10 glove, +10 socks, +10 boots, +10 cup holder [on armor], +10 helm, +10 armor padding ect.

MDC

Modify:
 This is a house rule and not a set rule.

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.