Author Topic: Which system do you use for Shadow World?  (Read 8690 times)

Offline vroomfogle

• OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Which system do you use for Shadow World?
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2007, 08:57:22 AM »
True pastaav, the multi-profession issue in Shadow World isn't really supported by the rules.  However, I've found that all it tends to mean is that the NPC has access to base lists from more then 1 profession.   This can be handled pretty easily with some creative house rules or even better.....this should be quite possible with the upcoming Gift Companion.

Offline Steve C

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2007, 09:22:59 AM »
Unfortunately I suspect we are probably losing something in the translation from Swedish to English in this particuler thread, as it leaves one even more confused as to what and where Pastaav is coming from on this  ???

I am curious, pastaav, why you are not interested in buying anything for SW?

Since I will not GM it, I use my own game world now.

Actually I might consider it when I am done with my education and have a job. To support the development of RM materials is a good cause. Yet I would use the books for concepts and not actually run the adventures so what system is used would not matter.

There are a number of SW aspects that makes stats from SW books hard to translate well to other settings. From the top of my head...SW magic items powerlevel, SW lost technology, NPCs with multiple professions, adventure design effected by having navigators around and similar.

Offline TomOBedlam

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2007, 04:55:43 PM »
Unfortunately I suspect we are probably losing something in the translation from Swedish to English in this particuler thread, as it leaves one even more confused as to what and where Pastaav is coming from on this  ???

I have to ask - Are you trying to belittle him by claiming that your English is far superior to his? In this "particuler" thread? Or do you really not get what he is trying to say? If the latter, I would say the issue is more with you than with any linguistic faults of Pastaav.
"I thoroughly disapprove of duels. If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand and lead him to a quiet place and kill him."

Offline pastaav

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Swedish gaming club
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2007, 04:24:53 AM »

If you have a question you are free to ask and I will do my best to answer it.

Yet rewriting the whole post to makes it clearer seem a bit pointless. I assume you caught most of what I meant to say since the others seem to have understood it.
/Pa Staav

Offline smug

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2007, 12:50:37 PM »
Pastaav hates freedom! Man the barricades!

Offline Steve C

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2007, 02:24:24 PM »
<Sigh, shakes head in disbelief at peoples over sensitivety>

No I am not belittling Pastaav (please don't make such a politically correct assumption), the thread simply started out as a simple question of which system do people use when playing Shadow World based adventures - Pastaav's reply seemed to go off on a totally different direction, appearing to talk about ulterior motives for the original question and implying that he wouldn't touch Shadow World with a barge pole (paraphrasing somewhat  ;) ) all of which sounded as though either the question had been misunderstood or the answer was coming over wrong.

Pastaav's English is far better than 90% of English peoples 'second' languages (most certainly including myself, my French/Italian/Spanish & Welsh barely get me by at the best of times)  ;D

I have to ask - Are you trying to belittle him by claiming that your English is far superior to his? In this "particuler" thread? Or do you really not get what he is trying to say? If the latter, I would say the issue is more with you than with any linguistic faults of Pastaav.

Chaman

« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2007, 12:00:04 AM »
And the translation of the modules and core might have casued confusion as well.

There are a number of SW aspects that makes stats from SW books hard to translate well to other settings. From the top of my head...SW magic items powerlevel, SW lost technology, NPCs with multiple professions, adventure design effected by having navigators around and similar.

Conversion between systems can always be a problem. I concider Shadow World a high-magic setting, which means items can be very powerful, also, TKA didn't write all the modules and some may bend the rules more then others. Lost technology can be an issue as many systems don't have a SF companion set, fortunately Privateers is compatible with RMSS/FRP. Don't want to break out a SF book? Equate the item to a magical one (any sufficiently advanced technology is indestinguishable from magic - Arthur C Clarke). Navigators, if you find them to be too accomodating, raise the prices, require use of an obolisk or add charges for summoning one to the wilds, reduce the rewards given through an adventure, have the Navigator bargain for one of the characters favorite items that you find unbalancing; they are not modern retailers, think of them more like used car sales men or someone working on commission and they may be your best friend.

I have a problem with the Norek module: the party inherits 3 trading companies and a bar from an NPC. But it was only a problem until I realized a few things:

His trading companies were sucessful because he was selling the travel times of other traders to a bandit group, and this group was allowing most of his caravans pass through unmolested.
But, the adventure before they inherit the trading companies, they take out the bandits. So now the companies won't be as sucessful as they once were and may even fold since they have lost the benefit of the bandits.
Once all the income has balanced against debt (purchase of goods, loss to spoilage or damage, upkeep, taxes, bribes, and so on) the group might earn a gold a piece or two every month (Kulthean month). Plus, if the city finds out that the NPC was helping the bandits attack traders the business may be seized by the city; unless a healthy fee is paid (your choice).

OK, back to the post: RMSS, I'm converting my modules, placing notes as needed for maintaining game balance so I don't forget if I don't run it again for 5 or more years

Oops, almost forgot to address the multiple profession issue: my impression was that one of the professions was from the companions (RMC1 - RMC7) while the other was the core profession that the RMCx profession was based on. This allowed those that didn't want to include an RMCx profession were not forced to use it by a module.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2007, 12:13:47 AM by Chaman »

Offline thomaslindmark

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2007, 03:59:12 AM »
I used RM2 since beginning of the 90?s as GM. We had a break in gaming a couple of year from the beginning of year 2000. When I started this campaign I now running I looked to do some migrating of RM2 and RMSS because I like the old system. So I used RM2 as base and made some house rules based in RMSS (I believe it is about 5 pages with special character making rules  ;D). I will look at RMC to my next campaign, if I have time to do some new in the future. Five year now and still running this campaign.

Offline Carnus

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2007, 05:12:03 PM »
I bought the Atlas the other day and plan to run the setting using the RMC rules set.