Author Topic: Shadow World & Game Systems  (Read 5291 times)

Offline windmarkbob

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Advocatus Diaboli
Shadow World & Game Systems
« on: November 22, 2007, 12:47:23 PM »
I was wondering if Terry and Nicholas have considered pooling resources (authors) and turning Shadow World into a viable setting for multiple game systems to improve its marketability as a commercial product?  What would this entail?  What are the most likely problems with attempting something like this?  Modules and sourcebooks with Harp, RM2, RMFRP, and d20 stats combined with Terry's setting; would it, could it work?  I'd love to see the creator of this setting be able to make his labor of love a full time job that puts food on the table and a roof over his head.

Windmarkbob
The Uncouth One

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• GCP
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
Re: Shadow World & Game Systems
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2007, 03:27:15 AM »
I was wondering if Terry and Nicholas have considered pooling resources (authors) and turning Shadow World into a viable setting for multiple game systems to improve its marketability as a commercial product?  What would this entail?  What are the most likely problems with attempting something like this?  Modules and sourcebooks with Harp, RM2, RMFRP, and d20 stats combined with Terry's setting; would it, could it work?  I'd love to see the creator of this setting be able to make his labor of love a full time job that puts food on the table and a roof over his head.

Windmarkbob

There is a d20 version (in 3.5 stats) of the Shadow World Master Atlas in manuscript form with all necessary artwork. It's been bedevilled with problems getting it through the layout phase in that a number of volunteers to do that layout have had to bail on me. There'll be another attempt to get it through to publication before 4th Edition hits the streets.

All work that Terry has done for TGC has had both RMClassic and RMSS/FRP stats. I think there have been attempts through Bazaars and fan efforts to produce HARP conversions of some aspects of Shadow World. Some of the work that I will be doing or have done for Something Wicked and Construct Toolkit may also assist in that arena.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline Koraq

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2007, 11:37:20 AM »
I really hope you can manage to get the SW d20 stuff out. I know that I and many other wont be going down 4th ed road. Skip the layout and just sell the manuscript (proofing done, I guess) as is without any layout if you have to.

Offline Witchking20k

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2007, 03:44:07 PM »
I like the idea of getting SW out for HARP as well.  I know a ton of gamers who love SW and would rather use a lighter version of RM than D20 for it now that they are older and can commit less time to roleplaying
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Offline Hawkwind

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2007, 02:39:25 AM »
While it seems that there will be a number of existing d20 gamers who won't (at least initially) migrate to 4th ed, I suspect on the whole that the majority of them will - sooner rather than later. Under those circumstances is it worth continuing to try and get the 3.5 d20 version of Shadow World out? I suspect that conversion between 3.5 and 4th ed won't be all that difficult, so might it not be a better idea to just delay the whole project until 4th ed comes out? The amount of work that has already been done will hopefully allow a 4th ed version of Shadow World to come out not too long after the release of 4th ed, and you may generate extra sales and interest through having it available before a  lot of other 3rd party providers get their game worlds out.

Hawk

• GCP
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2007, 07:37:24 AM »
We'd like to get the 3.5 version out simply because of the work that has already been invested in it. With regard to 4th edition, I doubt we'll get an early look at the rules before they are published or indeed the Open Gaming Content  prior to its release, so we would still have a scramble to convert over.

I'll have to see how far the Shadow World conversion has progressed for HARP in the Bazaars.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline Witchking20k

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2007, 07:39:28 AM »
I would think that a bit of a revenue bump from a D20 version would allow some more SW development too as D20 players are often used to using modules & in depth sourcebook material.

Offline Hawkwind

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2007, 09:59:34 PM »
We'd like to get the 3.5 version out simply because of the work that has already been invested in it. With regard to 4th edition, I doubt we'll get an early look at the rules before they are published or indeed the Open Gaming Content  prior to its release, so we would still have a scramble to convert over.

My earlier comment was based on the assumption that you wouldn't get an early look at either 4th ed or the OGL, but that the similarities between 3.5 and 4th would allow a relatively easy conversion. Admittedly, my assumption that 3.5 and 4th won't be that different is based solely on information that I have picked up on the net, so it may be totally erroneous  :D Of course, the other factor that I have no knowledge of is how much time you have to devote to this project, which could well have a serious effect on the timeframe.

However, if you release the 3.5 version, and 4th ed turns out to be sufficiently different as to make conversion a non-trivial exercise, I would have thought you then run the risk and having sales pretty much completely dry up as players convert to 4th ed, except of course, for the SW faithful. And as one of them  ;D , I eagerly await the chance to buy any new SW product.

Hawk

Offline Koraq

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2007, 11:08:18 PM »
The D&D diehards will only by stuff from WotC anyway, so waiting for 4th ed is futile. Get it out before it rots. That's what I'd say.

Offline Guillaume

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Kulthean Fanatic
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2007, 11:28:36 AM »
and diehards SW Game Masters will only use it with RM[SS|FRP|2]  ;D ;) ::)
So getting it out is not a bad idea.
514 to see, 416 to lock, 614 to shot...Target downed...Ask the marines to pick up the pieces.

RM, RM2, RMSS, RMFRP, HARP,  MERP, Cyberspace, SM, SM2, SM:P, Star Strike, Armored Assault, SD , SD : The Next Millenium, Bladestorm, Battle of the Five Armies .... Collecting ICE production since the epoch...

Offline windmarkbob

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Advocatus Diaboli
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2007, 01:10:29 PM »

I'll have to see how far the Shadow World conversion has progressed for HARP in the Bazaars.

Best wishes,
Nicholas

3.5 has one foot in the grave as it is with the announcement of 4.0.  Why spend time on a conversion to what is a "dying system", when you can get stuff out in Harp, RMFRP, and RMC (current market base), regardless of how much time has been spent working on it under the assumption there wouldn't be a 4.0 coming out?  Add either a general d20 system or, heck, look at the "Savage World" system or GURPS to add a more mainstream/additional system for the products to be used with.

Just the opinion of an overworked underpaid desk-jockey and phone-monkey.

The Uncouth One

Offline Koraq

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2007, 02:53:00 PM »
Bob,
The thing is there wont be anyone spending time on the conversion, the work is done. The question is if it should be released. I saw yes, so it least some of us can see it, and at least contribute a few bucks for the work.

If it takes much work to release it I say just publish it as it is, without layout and illustrations. Generate some cheers and sell a few copies. Then if someone wants to do a 4th ed conversion, let them.

• GCP
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2007, 03:39:35 AM »
The manuscript exists, the editing is done, the artwork is all available. It needs to receive a proper layout in order to meet the professional standards of our other products. (The HARP SF Beta was a beta, subject to change without notice and a work in progress.)

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell

Offline windmarkbob

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Advocatus Diaboli
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2007, 03:43:07 AM »
Ahhh.  That's great...maybe I shouldda read your earlier reply a little closer.

Thanks
The Uncouth One

Offline Witchking20k

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2007, 07:30:45 AM »
Well, timing the release of a new playable world with the release of 4.0 would be good.......new flavour for a new system.