Author Topic: strategic movement rate  (Read 4291 times)

Offline black flag

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
strategic movement rate
« on: October 17, 2007, 04:01:06 PM »
hi to all folks
In the core rule book p 145 there's a table for encounters with travel speed but there're not the distances walked by 4 hours of activity. Can You give me the movement rate? In the table there're the BMr indicated but not the relation with miles (or km for frenchies like me...).
Tank IOU
Troll humour:
"What would You say to a Dwarf with 12 helmets on? Nothin', you just hit him in the stomach instead! Ugh,Ugh"
"Why did the Dwarf cross the road? Because I said if he didn't I'd cut off his feet and stick them up his nose!Ugh,Ugh"
From Titan the Fighting&

Offline Right Wing Wacko

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Patriot, Crusader, and Grognard
Re: strategic movement rate
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2007, 05:06:50 PM »
I just use the RM tables for overland movement...
A military solution isn't the only answer, just one of the better ones.
www.strategypage.com

"Note #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game."- markc

Offline Unwise

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2007, 09:25:25 PM »
I work out all long duration travel by refering to the characters Con stat. I can see no reason why a quick person would casually walk faster and if they did, I can't see why they would travel more distance before getting tired.

Dr_Sage

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2007, 11:05:55 PM »
I personaly use abstract movement rate. Terrain comands that - not how fast you run.

If you really need to keep track of that I can get you the old DnD rules I use from time to time.

Basilcally there is a base X number of miles/kilometers per day divided by a dificulty factor.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2007, 11:10:30 PM by Dr_Sage »

Offline WoeRie

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2007, 12:31:09 AM »
I calculate the miles per hour out of the walk speed of the BMR:
1 round is 2 seconds and there are 3600 seconds an hour, so I multiply the BMR with 1800 and have the result in feet. Dividing this value with 5280 and I have the mph.

To make things easier you can just divide the BMR by 3 and get back roughly the same result.

BMR * 1800 / 5280 = MPH = BMR * 0.340909?

Example BMR Walk:
12? per round *1800
=> 21600? per hour /5280
=> 4.091 mph

OR (easier 12'/3) roughly 4 mph   ;)

So, I use this mph value as a base for walk on a street or open terrain and then start to subtract miles because of rough terrain. You can also use the Co stat and the rule on page 26 to determine how long somebody can walk without a break.

If you use the metric system the calculation from meters per round to kilometers per hour is exactly *1.8 .

Offline Mando

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Conversion HARP - Terre du Milieu
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2007, 02:41:06 AM »
Hi Black Flag, check your PMs.

I can send you a spreadsheet I am using with all movement rates depending on terrain.

It's in french, with metric system.
.:| Fred, aka Mando |:.

Communauté francophone des joueurs de Jeux de Rôles ICE : Iceland

Offline black flag

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2007, 02:53:02 AM »
I calculate the miles per hour out of the walk speed of the BMR:
1 round is 2 seconds and there are 3600 seconds an hour, so I multiply the BMR with 1800 and have the result in feet. Dividing this value with 5280 and I have the mph.

To make things easier you can just divide the BMR by 3 and get back roughly the same result.

BMR * 1800 / 5280 = MPH = BMR * 0.340909?

Example BMR Walk:
12? per round *1800
=> 21600? per hour /5280
=> 4.091 mph

OR (easier 12'/3) roughly 4 mph   ;)

So, I use this mph value as a base for walk on a street or open terrain and then start to subtract miles because of rough terrain. You can also use the Co stat and the rule on page 26 to determine how long somebody can walk without a break.

If you use the metric system the calculation from meters per round to kilometers per hour is exactly *1.8 .

God bows to math ;)
Troll humour:
"What would You say to a Dwarf with 12 helmets on? Nothin', you just hit him in the stomach instead! Ugh,Ugh"
"Why did the Dwarf cross the road? Because I said if he didn't I'd cut off his feet and stick them up his nose!Ugh,Ugh"
From Titan the Fighting&

Offline janpmueller

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2007, 06:37:39 AM »
God bows to math ;)
I find this especially remarkable because it's miles! I always found feet and miles not very mathematical (sorry). But then again, it's based on body measures, so any god would surely approve  ;D

For the metric system, this means that a BMR in meters (I use BMR/3 for that) would be *equal* to the traveling speed in miles per hour. Handy. (Maybe I'll rule to use meters and miles (where 1 mile is 1600 meters). That would be little calculating...)
"What's in the box?" - "Pain."

Offline choc

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2007, 07:22:10 AM »
BMR / 1.8 ~ km/h (or BMR * 11 / 20 or BMR * 0,55) (BMR in ft)

Normal (human) hiking speed per hour is 5-6km/h. This fits with 9'' or 10'' BMR, pace 1x and 95-100% to 110-120%.

Offline black flag

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2007, 08:16:49 AM »
Tanx a lot for Your answers.
Mando send to me by PM a table w/ excel for the KM by 8 hours of intense walking (poor feet :D) based from HARP rule book.
Belarus bless the HARP players! ;)
Troll humour:
From Titan the Fighting&

Dr_Sage

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2007, 02:51:35 PM »
Dear WoeRie ,

your math is perfect, but that numbers are unrealistic. That would work for forced marchs over plain modern streets.

Even on modern streets you can try this: mesure the distance moved with a car from A to B. Then look on a map (or Google Earth) the distance from A to B. You will realise that even the most straightforward avenue has curves and basicaly is indirect route.

And 4 miles per hour is extremely high speed for walking by foot.

Adding the 2 conditions above to the poor medieval conditions and you will see why travels were mesured in weeks in medieval times.  ;)

Just my 2 cents.

Offline WoeRie

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2007, 03:04:46 PM »
Hm, I never checked this with real life numbers, it seems you are right.
However come on, we are talking about heroes, not office workers ;D

Dr_Sage

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2007, 03:11:04 PM »
Hm, I never checked this with real life numbers, it seems you are right.
However come on, we are talking about heroes, not office workers ;D

Hahahahah good point, but even so.

Thats why I don?t bother much about his. Any number would be inacurate.

Offline jurasketu

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2007, 06:09:07 PM »
Well. It depends. Unarmored, unburdened "hero" athletes can manage to run 100+ kilometers in a single day. The marathon record is just over 2 hours - that's 13 miles per hour! But that's not easy. And trooping along with a 75-lb pack (I love mixing English with Metric) is not quite the same. BUT - a soldier carrying a pack should still be able go 40 miles (65km) a day. But you know what? Making camp, cooking food - FINDING water - really takes time out of the day - so the practical limit over a long haul is more like 30-35 miles ( 45 - 55 km) per day. With a horse or wagon to haul supplies, you can manage more like 60 - 80 km per day in good terrain. Rain, snow, heat and cold can limit the advance rates substantially.

My military gaming handbook (Numbers, Predictions and War by Trevor N Dupuy) gives historical sustained advance rates for infantry against no resistance in favorable weather and terrain as 24 km per day and cavalry as 40 km per day. Due to obvious logistical limitations, armies move slower than just adventurers. So, I think double those rates 48 km per day on foot and 80 km per day with horses seems perfectly reasonable as maximum practical rates. Typically, though, poor terrain, the need to make camp, bad weather, etc causes me to limit my adventurerers to somewhere between 20 and 40 km per day to avoid wearing out the horses, themselves, wagons, and give plenty of time to scout a suitable place to make camp and so forth. If they are using a guarded road with inns, then they should get maximum rates instead. Magic (create water, create food) can make certain limitations go away and allow maximum speed as well. I  do allow adventurers to "push" the limits but I raise the risk of equipment problems, injuries and illnesses and making wrong turns and getting lost. NOTE: I always reserve a portion of "random" encounters to be mundane equipment problems, taking the wrong path, having an accident, etc.

Robin
It is better to be lucky than good, but it is *best* to be both.

When in fear, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!