Author Topic: Navigator Projects?  (Read 5752 times)

Offline munchy

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Munch Companion
Navigator Projects?
« on: October 13, 2007, 04:48:00 PM »
Has there been anything on those projects the different guilds have? What are the researching? What technology are the trying to mate with magic?

Are those projects similar to what happened on Cyradon? Do they also magebreed beings? Is the planar travel and maybe demonic forces involved?

Just would like to know more. Maybe also get a map of Nexus even if it isn't an adventure location.
Get Real, Get Rolemaster!
Be Sharp, Play HARP!

Offline mathhatt

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Navigator Projects?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2007, 02:04:01 AM »
I also have a question about navigators ? Do they have an unlimited supply of compasses ? Are they able to build new ones ? repair damaged ones ?
"The world is changed. I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air. Much that once was, is lost, for none now live who remember it."
-- Galadriel, The Lord of the Rings, The Fellowship of the Ring. --

Offline Mider

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2007, 06:33:29 AM »
With the amount of power and abilities that the compasses generate, I would say that they would have to be created by use of a magic ritual, such as when the person is given the rank in a big ceremony.  If this is the case than the compass would be tied to the person and would explain the feelings of the Navigators toward wayward compasses.

Offline Vince

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2007, 06:20:25 AM »
I always asumed that there were a limited number of compass in the world. And also that the Guild of Navigators can't make more, only attune with the ones they had found. It seems that each guild has found a number of similiar compasses, in different places, because each guild has different ones.

Order of the Iron Crown

(RM2+ Shadow World+ GM)

Offline Lomli

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2007, 10:40:30 PM »
Originally the compasses were tools of the Ess?nce Lords. One of the Original Navigators, S?zur Vranuk, found some compasses while exploring. A certain member of the Loremasters at the time was willing to teach him how to use the device.

There appear to be a limited number of the devices and require extensive training to use.

(click to show/hide)

Offline mathhatt

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2007, 08:42:46 AM »
Do we have any idea as to how many navigators there are ?
"The world is changed. I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air. Much that once was, is lost, for none now live who remember it."
-- Galadriel, The Lord of the Rings, The Fellowship of the Ring. --

Offline Guillaume

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Kulthean Fanatic
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2007, 01:24:42 PM »
I don't think we have any idea of how many navigators are active at a given time.

On the general note, I suspect that the navigators have found a way to create new compasses.
My opinion comes from several details :
- there's a lot of guilds, but for some reason they all work as a corporation.
    Maybe this reason is that it's the best way to keep the secret of
    compass creation a secret.
- It is stated somewhere ( I know, it's heretical : Stormriders ) that once atuned a compass is extremely difficult to use by somebody else. Iarsang explain a lot about compass by what he says and what he doesn't say.
   So we can more or less suspect that, for these reasons, the Guilds don't bother with getting back the compasses of the deads. That means they have to have a mean to create them.... or a huge stockpile of them.
- I don't know where it is found, but I remember seeing a short 'flavour text' that described the discovery of some of the first compasses...
  From what I gather of this discovery and of the various shapes and guilds, there's been several discoveries of several compasses... but no way there's been enough compasses for all the navigators, so they have to have found a way to create them.
- Last, like everything else Kulthean Andraax has probably overseen and driven ( from the back, and hidden ), being who he is, he has probably 'given away' the knowledge of compasses creation ( through devious means, like putting the searchers in the right direction and nudging them back on track if they wandered off ).

514 to see, 416 to lock, 614 to shot...Target downed...Ask the marines to pick up the pieces.

RM, RM2, RMSS, RMFRP, HARP,  MERP, Cyberspace, SM, SM2, SM:P, Star Strike, Armored Assault, SD , SD : The Next Millenium, Bladestorm, Battle of the Five Armies .... Collecting ICE production since the epoch...

Offline Lomli

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2007, 01:26:34 PM »
from most of the Shadow World books I have, SWMA III and IV, and Powers of Light and Dark I see no figures on the numbers of Navigators. So I do not think the actual numbers of Navigators are defined. Just the different groups of navigators are.

Offline munchy

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Munch Companion
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2007, 02:08:43 PM »
I think is most certainly that there is quite an impressive number of Navigators, of different ranks of course, as they operate on the whole hemisphere of Kulthea that is available to most people. This means not only the continents of Emer and Jaiman but also all the others, which also means quite a large population and a lot of customers.
Get Real, Get Rolemaster!
Be Sharp, Play HARP!

Offline Lomli

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2007, 02:24:26 PM »
I would think the actual number of Navigators with compasses would be rather small as compared to the overall numbers we are considering for the total numbers of Navigators. Remember the lower ranks of navigators do not have compasses.

Also considering the cost of hiring a navigator for travel I cannot imaging the numbers being overly large. I can envision 100-200 total navigators for all of the western half of Kulthea. I just cannot think numbers nearing 1000 would be practical considering the standard prices.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2007, 02:30:08 PM by Lomli »

Offline Guillaume

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Kulthean Fanatic
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2007, 12:42:59 PM »
seems I have to disagree with these numbers.

For me the number of Navigators is somewhere at least 10 000, and maybe more. 
Let me explain how I get that idea.

There's going to be a few spoilers about the working of the Navigators and some informations some GM might want to keep unknown to their players below...
(click to show/hide)
514 to see, 416 to lock, 614 to shot...Target downed...Ask the marines to pick up the pieces.

RM, RM2, RMSS, RMFRP, HARP,  MERP, Cyberspace, SM, SM2, SM:P, Star Strike, Armored Assault, SD , SD : The Next Millenium, Bladestorm, Battle of the Five Armies .... Collecting ICE production since the epoch...

Offline Lomli

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2007, 03:56:53 PM »
seems I have to disagree with these numbers.

For me the number of Navigators is somewhere at least 10 000, and maybe more. 
Let me explain how I get that idea.

There's going to be a few spoilers about the working of the Navigators and some informations some GM might want to keep unknown to their players below...
(click to show/hide)

Guillaume, you bring up some good points, but I view those with actual compasses to be more in the 100-200 range. Most of your number would more than likely be navigators of lessor ability. The large number you envision would seem to make the compass seem as an "everyday" item. I have always viewed the compass to be much more rare than the thousands of Navigators you elude too. I do suppose the lessor Navigators could have look alike compasses or compasses of much lesser power designed to mimic the real devices. I guess the beauty of this is we can never really know how many "real" First Era compasses are out there. The Navigators are sure not going to tell us anything about them.    ;)

Offline egdcltd

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +70/-70
    • Azukail Games
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2007, 06:11:17 PM »
Each full Navigator would probably have lots of support staff and lesser Navigators. Similar to how medieval knights were. Each knight would have several squires, a string of men-at-arms, plus camp followers and professionals of required trades. So, one Navigator with a compass could easily have several dozen other "Navigators", even if some of them are actually cooks (after all, they still need to eat).
I made some things! Azukail Games

Offline Lomli

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2007, 07:24:19 PM »
Each full Navigator would probably have lots of support staff and lesser Navigators. Similar to how medieval knights were. Each knight would have several squires, a string of men-at-arms, plus camp followers and professionals of required trades. So, one Navigator with a compass could easily have several dozen other "Navigators", even if some of them are actually cooks (after all, they still need to eat).

Well the Navigators are a bunch of guilds and these guilds all belong to a council which the heads of the guilds chair. I could definitely see the differing ranks of Navigators. Each with varying level of skill. Yet, the level of the Navigator is assigned based on the difficulty of the mission at hand. Also each guild has a specifically assigned area to cover and if the fare changes boundary there is a hand off. This of course does not incur another charge.

Anyway the patron of the Navigator services will never know the ability level of the Navigator guiding him on his journey.

Still we have to remember spell users (especially high level ones) are rare.

Well keep in mind that spell users are relatively rare (not as rare as on, say, Middle-earth, but uncommon). PC groups are usually disproportionally stacked with spell users. And yes, remember flow barriers...

TKA
http://www.ironcrown.com/ICEforums/index.php?topic=2137.0

We also need to remember the prices for travel via navigator are note cheap.
The base prices are listed below:

Price given for a standart unit of 1 person or 100 lbs cargo:
-1gp per mile over the land,1gp per 10 mile over the sea
-an additional flat rate of 100gp per Jump(as deemed necessary by the navigator) is charged,with surcharge of 10gp per mile per Jump travel over 50 miles.
http://www.ironcrown.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6385&SearchTerms=Navigator,cost

This of course is the base rate and can be adjusted as needs require.