Author Topic: Rediscovering Shadow World  (Read 6406 times)

Offline Maldroth

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Rediscovering Shadow World
« on: September 19, 2007, 09:21:51 PM »
Hello all with finding out about the RMC I'm starting to look into Shadow World again. When I was introduced to RM it was in a SW campaign and I barely remember it. My question is for a new GM of RM what would you guys recomend as an important book to get for Shadow World to get a grasp and feel for the world and then to present to players to help them get that same feeling of why SW seemed cool.

Offline mathhatt

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Rediscovering Shadow World
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2007, 04:17:50 AM »
I guess I would recommend the Master Atlas (either 3rd or 4th ed.) ;) However you should write something for your players because a lot of secrets are in this book and you wouldn't want your players to read them...
I think there are some detailed descriptions (in english, mine is in french) available online that you could give them to read.
"The world is changed. I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air. Much that once was, is lost, for none now live who remember it."
-- Galadriel, The Lord of the Rings, The Fellowship of the Ring. --

Offline vroomfogle

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2007, 09:06:08 AM »
Hi Maldroth!   

One thing to do, before buying anything is to check out my website:
http://www.vroomfogle.com

In the top right there is a section labeled "Player Guides" - this is good overview information about Shadow World and is intended to be for Players.     So you and your players can give that a read first and get an idea of the flavor of the world.

Then, as mathhatt suggested, I would get the Master Atlas (I suggest 3rd edition if you can still buy it), then depending on your budget pick up Eidolon, Emer I, Emer II, and/or Jaiman.   If you like city adventures then Eidolon is a great way to go.   If you want to recapture some of that nostalgia of your early Shadow World years then get Jaiman which is probably what you adventured in before.

Once you become a SW scholar and read all the books then you can sign up at my other website Nomikos (you'll need to show proof of ownership of an atlas), which has a wealth of information....but be forewarned it could be overwhelming to someone new to it!
http://nomikos.vroomfogle.com

Good Luck and welcome back to Kulthea!

And don't hesitate to post any questions or thoughts here, there are plenty of us SW aficionado's to answer them.

Offline Guillaume

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Kulthean Fanatic
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2007, 01:09:10 PM »
I guess I would recommend the Master Atlas (either 3rd or 4th ed.) ;) However you should write something for your players because a lot of secrets are in this book and you wouldn't want your players to read them...
I think there are some detailed descriptions (in english, mine is in french) available online that you could give them to read.

IIRC, I wrote a "Everything you wanted to know about Shadow World without asking for it" with players in mind.
It's laying somewhere in the Vault as a PDF file. There's everything your players need to know about Shadow World in it. I probably have it in French too, but that one is not in the Vault.

As for the books recommandations : Master Atlas ( 3rd or 4th ), Haalkitaine and the Emer books are must haves. Next you have Eidolon and Jaiman, but they are older and more difficult to find. After it's up to you.
514 to see, 416 to lock, 614 to shot...Target downed...Ask the marines to pick up the pieces.

RM, RM2, RMSS, RMFRP, HARP,  MERP, Cyberspace, SM, SM2, SM:P, Star Strike, Armored Assault, SD , SD : The Next Millenium, Bladestorm, Battle of the Five Armies .... Collecting ICE production since the epoch...

Offline Maldroth

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2007, 01:33:47 PM »
Is there a big difference in the 3rd or 4th edition Atlas? Sounds like I should start there and then expand.

Offline mathhatt

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2007, 05:21:16 AM »
Is there a big difference in the 3rd or 4th edition Atlas? Sounds like I should start there and then expand.

I think there are some minor differences, but you'll have a fair overview of the setting with either the third or the fourth ed.
For example, in the 4th (last one) you have some additionnal details about a region of Emer (but you'll find the same info in the Emer books, with a lot more), in order to quick-start a campaign in this place. Also, the 4th ed. has RMFRP stats, the 3rd one has RM2 stats.
"The world is changed. I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air. Much that once was, is lost, for none now live who remember it."

Offline Arioch

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Blood & Souls for Arioch!
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2007, 08:15:07 PM »
Also, the 4th ed. has RMFRP stats, the 3rd one has RM2 stats.

IIRC the 4th edition has both RM2 and RMFRP stats (at least for races)...
I suppose a magician might, he admitted, but a gentleman never could.

Offline mathhatt

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2007, 10:34:15 AM »
Also, the 4th ed. has RMFRP stats, the 3rd one has RM2 stats.

IIRC the 4th edition has both RM2 and RMFRP stats (at least for races)...

Yes you are absolutely right.

Offline Nejira

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2007, 11:28:49 AM »
Hmmm Shadowworld. My first RM character was born there, he didnt live for very long though. In the second session he got killed by two werewolves. Yep, that was my first real experience with RM:P

Anyways Maldroth inspired me to go seek out tomes of knowledge myself of this strange world. In that regard I do have an question. Is the 4th ed. Atlas the current one or is there a 5th ed?

And last but not least, wow Vroomfogle. Thats some website you got there.
"I'd Rather Be a Rising Ape Than a Fallen Angel"

Offline vroomfogle

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2007, 11:32:51 AM »
And last but not least, wow Vroomfogle. Thats some website you got there.

Thanks - I hope you will get some use out of it.    My players use the Player Guides quite a bit for reference.   

There's quite a few more things that I need to update....

Offline Nejira

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2007, 11:18:46 AM »
I just returned from an quest. I ventured into the dark lands of the attic where dust and darkness reigns. After many a battle against disorientation and the notorious ratmen, I came at least to the temple of buried treasure (my boxes of old rpgs and comics). And behold an copy of Shadowworld Atlas 2nd edition!

Been studying it, and I must confess its a bit confusing (no offence meant Terry :) ). Is the later editions more detailed than the 2nd?

Offline vroomfogle

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2007, 11:21:55 AM »
I think that 3rd edition is the best, it's lots better then the 2nd edition.   4th edition is similar to 3rd except it doesn't have internal color maps, some sections were cut (though can be downloaded from the ICE vault).    4th edition *does* have RMFRP stats whereas 3rd edition does not AND it does have a very nice fold out map of hte Bay of Izar region.

Offline Nejira

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2007, 11:32:05 AM »
Been browsing the stores here and it seems I can get my hands on a copy of 4th edition (its on the website anyway). Havnt seen any 3rd tho, so looks like its time for a new quest  ;D

Offline egdcltd

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +70/-70
    • Azukail Games
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2007, 04:20:08 PM »
You can always get the 3rd edition pdf from here.
I made some things! Azukail Games

Offline Nejira

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2007, 08:11:10 AM »
Never been a big fan of pdf products. I like my books the old fashion way ;)

But since we are on the topic. Was there printed hardcopies of the Jaiman, Emer I & II, Eidolon, and Haalkitaine pdfs found in the vault or are they only availible as pdfs?

Offline vroomfogle

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2007, 09:45:43 AM »
There were printed copies of all of those.    Jaiman was from long ago and one of the first SW sourcebooks.    Eidolon was also produced at ICE during that time.   Emer I, II and Haalkitaine (and Atlas 3rd edition) were all written when Terry Amthor was doing his own thing at Eidolon Studio.   They were printed and sold through his website, but since ICE has assumed the product line again.     They never offered printed versions of these books, only pdfs.

I suspect that it will be very difficult to get your hand on printed copies of those.  Your best bet might be having the pdf printed and bound.  I've been considering that myself for some pdfs.

Offline egdcltd

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +70/-70
    • Azukail Games
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2007, 10:34:50 AM »
I'm not keen on pdfs either, so I printed them out and had them bound at Staples. The binding was pretty cheap, but the printing used a fair bit of ink.
I made some things! Azukail Games

Offline Maldroth

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2007, 03:18:07 PM »
Well I've seen the 4th ed Atlas listed in the ICE store for $35 and that sounds like a print version since they are also offering a $20 PDF version of the 4th ed Atlas as well.

Any perticular reason to get the 3rd over the 4th?