Author Topic: An AID to spell users, casting higher level spells  (Read 2843 times)

Offline Dark Schneider

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • El único, genial e inimitable Dark Schneider.
An AID to spell users, casting higher level spells
« on: September 13, 2007, 07:40:13 AM »
- We have that non-spell users can achieve high skill bonus rapidly for their main skills, with talents aid, 2 ranks per level, etc. We have special rules for 'combat styles' that allow to improve combat too.

- In our side, we aid to semi-spell suers too by removing the SCSM for 'armor wear' if your bonus in 'trascend armor' is >= than penalty, in other words, if penalty for armor to SCSM is <=0.

Then I am thinking about apply the same than with armor but to level difference (caster/spell). So if your bonus in a spell list is >= than the penalty for casting a spell higher level than caster, use automatic casting instead a SCSM roll.

Because I think that if a character develops the list in many ranks, and develops too 'magical language' and 'spell mastery', and has talents to add spell list bonus, I think is good to reward him with no SCSM (that have more failure %) and accelerates the game with less rolls.

Viewing the spell casting table, we can see that a difference of 5 levels is reasonable, and then is more and more difficult.

Could we use this rule for 'spell time prepare' too?. Maybe with these type of rules spell caster like more to increase their spell lists bonuses, I see it very interesting because we increase very much importance to one skill that IMO should be fundamental to spell users, but with the current rules (too restrictive) I am sure that is not very important in our games, because spell users usually want to evade the SCSM and never (or almost never) try to cast higher level spells or in less time, still having a decent spell list bonus skill.

This shouldn't be applied for other modifiers, as 'no voice', 'no free hand', etc. that you can consider (and surely all of us too) that are preventive for spell casting, for example if you need voice to cast a spell, and you can't use it, the you must roll a SCSM, although you have your spell list bonus greater than the penalty.
But there are other factors that I don't see them as preventive for spell casting, I see them simply as 'more difficult' for spell casting (as level difference, armor wearing and maybe preparing time).

As summary you can see that we usually reward to characters that develop/specialize certain skills that we think are fundamental, and spell users can be added to this group now with these rules.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2007, 07:44:17 AM by Dark Schneider »

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
Re: An AID to spell users, casting higher level spells
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2007, 07:56:46 AM »
Easiest work around would be enchanted items with bonuses to SCSM, like a wand, a staff, a medallion, etc.

lynn
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline Dark Schneider

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • El único, genial e inimitable Dark Schneider.
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2007, 06:35:06 AM »
enchanted items with bonuses to SCSM, like a wand, a staff

That gives me the idea of modify the bonus for those items. We have that for 0-1-1-0,5-0 skills the bonus is +2 per I for 'general' alchemy spells.

Then, the idea is modify the bonus as: wand +3, rod +4 and staff +5 per I.

In the other hand I always thought that for spell list the bonus should be +1 per rank, the same bonus than for BAR, as SCSM can have much penalty.

Offline Cernid Win

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2007, 03:28:58 PM »
in the old books of RM2 (i think) (german version)  were items listed where you could cast spells like x level higher, but only for the casting and not for effects and durations etc.
also you can get items for bonus on spell lists and even the entire realm like +20 for every essence spell
a GM could make it harder to get by only having a few and powerfull ppl making such intems

EDIT: it was in the ICE 1500 Rolemaster companion 1 Pg 56
for a list: lv * 50 gold
for one type (attack defense etc): lv * 200 gold
for all spell lists: lv * 500 gold
so casting 15th level spells while being lv 10 but count as level 15 costs you 2500 gold plus the item
« Last Edit: September 14, 2007, 03:43:29 PM by Cernid Win »