Author Topic: Request: When RMU finally comes out…  (Read 2209 times)

Offline Thot

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Request: When RMU finally comes out…
« on: June 04, 2021, 12:15:55 PM »
... then one thing I would really love to have would be a way to import the attack and critical tables into a spreadsheet easily, so that I can create a simple tool that just allows me to enter a die roll result and look up the full attack result with hits and criticals in one glance.

Offline Ginger McMurray

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Request: When RMU finally comes out…
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2021, 12:26:33 PM »
I assume ERA will get an update.
No pre-written adventure survives contact with the GM.

Offline Thot

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2021, 12:32:39 PM »
Yeah, but ERA requires me to also enter all the stats, which is annoying. I just want the simple "look up these two tables" tool.

Offline Ralfsi

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2021, 12:53:33 PM »
Well, if you get the PDF also it would be quite easy to just copy the text to a PDF, you have to do some work for it but it would be possible

Offline Thot

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2021, 01:00:42 PM »
Have you tried that with the RM2, RMC or RMFRP PDF's? Because no, "easy" is something else entirely. Especially when the format of the attack tables switches in between weapons and natural attacks (like bites, claws, beaks etc.).

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2021, 01:05:37 PM »
Was this something that the Combat Minion does? Sadly, I think that Merkir is no longer able to maintain it, but if someone else was...
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline Thot

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2021, 01:26:14 PM »
No, the Combat Minion tries to be more and thus is less, because you have to add the character stats as well there. With these tools, it is "go full tool or go bust", there is no option to simply have this one task of "looking up attack roll and corresponding crit result" be automated without all the rat's tail of additional digital bookkeeping.

Offline gog

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2021, 01:44:49 PM »
One difference with the pdf files for RMU compared to others, is that they may be made from the original files - thus a better pdf, rather than reclaimed text. Thus the issues may not be there.

Offline Thot

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2021, 03:55:28 PM »
Oh that would be great!

Offline Ginger McMurray

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2021, 01:39:07 PM »
Yeah, but ERA requires me to also enter all the stats, which is annoying. I just want the simple "look up these two tables" tool.

You could create one dummy creature with 0 OB and DB,  load two copies of it into the combat page, and have them always attack each other, changing the numbers as needed to match the actual OBs, DBs, etc. Just remember to cancel the attack before applying damage so you don't inadvertently add wound modifiers (assuming RMU even has those).

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2021, 10:07:32 AM »
Indeed you can add NPCs to the ERA adventuring module, configure their attacks with whatever OB you want, then use them to access the tables. If you don't want damage modifier to affect, you could give them thousands of hit points.
Then you can save that adventure and use it as a template for whenever you need it.

Offline Thot

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2021, 10:22:32 AM »
[...]
You could create one dummy creature with 0 OB and DB,  load two copies of it into the combat page, and have them always attack each other, changing the numbers as needed to match the actual OBs, DBs, etc. Just remember to cancel the attack before applying damage so you don't inadvertently add wound modifiers (assuming RMU even has those).
Or I could just request the option to have a much, much simpler tool without all the hassle. ;)

Offline Ginger McMurray

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2021, 08:10:34 AM »
You could, but my suggestions works now while the other has to wait until Voriig has time. :)

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2021, 10:21:54 AM »
I think it's clear that ICE would not want someone to distribute, say, an Excel sheet that contains all the tables. But I could imagine for example a smartphone app that just does table lookups for every table, if someone wanted to write one.

Personally, I think additionally being able to track conditions (injury penalties, stun, bleeding, etc) and initiative is super helpful.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline Thot

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2021, 02:32:32 PM »
I think it's clear that ICE would not want someone to distribute, say, an Excel sheet that contains all the tables. But I could imagine for example a smartphone app that just does table lookups for every table, if someone wanted to write one.

A smartphone app or something like it would of course be best, provided it is maintained and still usable 20 years later.

Personally, I think additionally being able to track conditions (injury penalties, stun, bleeding, etc) and initiative is super helpful.

I believe the option is nice, but being almost coerced into it as there's no other option to automate attacks and crits is rather detrimental to the infended effect.

I mean, just having a RoleMaster Combat Minion or ERA mode where I can cut all that away would serve my purpose.

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2021, 06:55:13 PM »
Again, someone has to write it. How much long term dedication that person has to the app would be up to them. I can kind of hack together a Windows app but I don't do mobile development.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline Merkir

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Long lost GM
    • Information Technology
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2021, 10:00:58 PM »
I mean, just having a RoleMaster Combat Minion or ERA mode where I can cut all that away would serve my purpose.

Just clarifying, no data entry required at all for Combat Minion. You have to make three clicks first - click one of the default pre-made PCs, then one of the pre-made NPCs, then click Attack button. After that you can choose any weapon table and type in a roll, or type in any crit roll from any crit table directly. All of them have 1 or 2 letter codes listed so you can type in any crit roll very easily as many times as you like, on the same popup.

The caveat is that you need to buy the RM2/RMC/RMSS/RMFRP tables, and RMU is not planned.

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2021, 11:51:49 PM »
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline Thot

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2021, 02:53:46 AM »
[...]and RMU is not planned.

Which brings us back to my original request. :D

Offline Camel1918

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2021, 03:03:15 PM »
Speaking of  Merkir's, Combat Minion, and I know this is off the topic but it would be a sin and a shame to let it fall by the way side. Surely someone can pick it up and go with it. I use it to run my games. ERA does not meet my needs as I just want to enter a number and be able to change the crit or the attack. ERA is too much. Please some one has to save the Combat Minion!!!