Author Topic: Foundry VTT  (Read 6453 times)

Offline Caom

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Foundry VTT
« on: April 19, 2021, 12:32:20 PM »
Hello there community,
I was wondering if anyone is using Foundry for rolemaster unified? Or a different rolemaster version?
I could not find a working system for it or even a character sheet. I tried building a basic one via the sandbox module but I am hitting some walls cause I am bad at coding.
I appreciate any feedback

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Foundry VTT
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2021, 12:54:07 PM »
I was just looking at the same thing yesterday. I don't believe there is any RM support though. Fantasy Grounds seems to be the VTT that has the most RM support; Roll20 comes a fair bit behind (especially if you are playing RM2 or RMU).

'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline Caom

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2021, 01:21:18 PM »
If there is nothing I can use I will probably stick to my own version and just need to get away from the goal to  automate everything, need to keep it simple but I will already hear my players say: why is x automated but not y  :-\

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2021, 02:23:19 PM »
I have been constantly pushing for more VTT tools for RM, as I feel these are crucial to the survival of the system, but of course budgets and time are limited.

Note that the Electronic Roleplaying Assistant will do much of the work for you too, if you need it to.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

Offline Twistor

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2021, 07:15:55 AM »
I'd love official support for Foundry VTT.

I did a simple character sheet using Foundry's Sandbox system when I ran a one-shot some month ago. It was just the skills that I used in that adventure, so it was manageable (considering I technically used RMFRP), but as far as I know, character sheet done on Sandbox is not exactly expansive - you can't add rows for new skills unless you define those rows as empty skill rows upfront. With some tweaking, it might be able to handle table look-ups, as I've seen it done for Against the Darkmaster (a game with similarities to MERP), which admittedly is somewhat simpler/smaller in scope.

If I'd develop the Sandbox sheet further, or particularly if there was an (un)official sheet for RM, eventually I'd like it to be compatible with ERA, to be able to import characters, as FoundryVTT doesn't exactly feel that great as a program for developing characters.
"This here is my invention. A small orb with a tornado trapped inside of it. Magnificent, like a ship in a bottle but with dynamics and power fluctuating inside. Here, you may take a closer look. Just don't drop it or we will all die."
- Vir'alaar the Air Elementalist

Offline J.r.

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2021, 03:26:52 AM »
I created something along the lines of RMC in foundry last summer up to a point where I would have to test and bugfix it for real. Then Light and vision was implemented in Fantasy Grounds and one of my main drivers was gone. It seems, however, that it should be easy enough if there is official support and provision of material. For dabbling, I would recommend spacemandev and cedric hauteville as resources on youtube.

Offline Camel1918

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2022, 02:39:54 AM »
Sorry late to the conversation again.

I've been using Foundry and the server assist "The Forge" for a while now. I've been working with a creator that has a D100 generic system (GRPGA). He has several different games using his system but they are all independent works. He has a Discord server call "Black Night Limited". He is very good to get right back to you and is willing to work with you on adding things for the game you use. He has worked on some generic things for me but I haven't talked to him in a little bit. Here is an invite for the Discord:   https://discord.gg/rV9NdgCS

I would really like to see something even simple get going on Foundry as I love the VTT. We have been using it for a couple of years after switching from Roll20. Can't afford Fantasy Grounds. I will not pay that.

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2022, 11:05:51 AM »
I created something along the lines of RMC in foundry last summer up to a point where I would have to test and bugfix it for real. Then Light and vision was implemented in Fantasy Grounds and one of my main drivers was gone. It seems, however, that it should be easy enough if there is official support and provision of material. For dabbling, I would recommend spacemandev and cedric hauteville as resources on youtube.
I would be very interested in giving it a test run, if you would like.
Sorry late to the conversation again.

I've been using Foundry and the server assist "The Forge" for a while now. I've been working with a creator that has a D100 generic system (GRPGA). He has several different games using his system but they are all independent works. He has a Discord server call "Black Night Limited". He is very good to get right back to you and is willing to work with you on adding things for the game you use. He has worked on some generic things for me but I haven't talked to him in a little bit. Here is an invite for the Discord:   https://discord.gg/rV9NdgCS

I would really like to see something even simple get going on Foundry as I love the VTT. We have been using it for a couple of years after switching from Roll20. Can't afford Fantasy Grounds. I will not pay that.
I have worked with James a bit when he was developing it for Against the Darkmaster. The module has definite possibilities, he just needs reasons to develop it for specific rulesets.

Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline UtatlanICE

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2022, 12:06:39 PM »
I've just started messing around with two different customizable systems within Foundry VTT.  The first is the "Sandbox System Builder" already mentioned, and the second is called "Custom System Builder".  They each seem to have their pros and cons in terms of learning curve versus utility for Rolemaster campaigns.  I am by no means fluent in either, as I only began messing around with Foundry in the last several weeks. 

I would also love to see some official Rolemaster 2/Classic support on the Foundry VTT system.  It really does deserve its own professional system support in Foundry, the way D&D5e gets supported.  If I figure anything out with one or the other of the available customizable systems, I will let people know! 

Offline Cynicide

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2022, 08:01:40 AM »
Hi everyone,

New here, I've always had a soft spot for Rolemaster from when I played it and MERP as a teenager. While I mostly play other games these days I've wanted to implement RMSS in Foundry for a while now so a little while ago I decided to start developing a basic system. I thought I'd post my progress here.

I've set a form fillable character sheet with very minimal automation as my first milestone. My initial goals here are threefold:

1. Support Iron Crown by only supplying a working character sheet. No IP or anything that appears in the source books.
2. Only provide a minimum of automation in the sheet and leave a lot of the math up to the player. With this aim I hope to reduce the development time so I can get something out quickly.
3. Provide a basic dice roller and maybe track initiative. I have not scoped the difficulty of these features.

At the moment the sheet allows you to form fill most things from T-6.1 in RMSS. It will auto calculate the Stat Bonuses for Stats and will calculate Resistance Rolls.

You can create Skills and Skill Categories and the Total Bonus in both cases is auto calculated. There is currently no relationship between skills and skill categories. This is something I am working on.

I'm working from a boilerplate foundry project and modifying the CSS and Javascript to provide features. These are not my preferred programming languages so progress is a little slow.

Anyway here are some screenshots: https://imgur.com/a/5fGRs8i

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2022, 10:50:20 AM »
Looks like a good start!

From what I remember, Fantasy Grounds has some good support, and I know that there is an RMSS character sheet in Roll20. I'm not sure if those might be any help to you -- whether for general ideas or specific ways to handle things -- but they might be worth a look.

Offline UtatlanICE

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2022, 10:59:23 AM »
An example from in Foundry from the Sandbox system.

Offline UtatlanICE

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2022, 11:01:33 AM »
And a different one, in the Custom System Builder in Foundry, showing just the Skills Tab.  Hoping to get it to auto-fill the various stat bonuses, level bonuses, etc.

Offline Cynicide

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2022, 08:01:34 PM »
Just a few more screenshots as development continues:

Automatic calculation of the Stat Bonus field is in for Skill Categories. When you build a Skill Category you can flag certain stats as being applicable and the sheet will calculate the Stat Bonus and auto populate the field in the character sheet.

Here is the Skill Category sheet where you can configure a skill category, the plan is to ship the module with all the skill categories on the character sheet. Anything in the books is off limits.

Localization. The system is being built to support FoundryVTT localization. Almost every bit of text in the sheet is held in a localization file. To localize the sheet to a new language all you'd need to do is provide a new localization file for the appropriate language. Here's what it looks like on the back end:

Skill Favorites. Skills tagged as a favorite will populate a section on the front page of the character sheet. Once this is working the way I want I will extend the functionality to items.

Offline ImaginosMusic

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Pikes Peak or Bust!!!
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2022, 08:41:05 PM »
Looks like some good work. Thank you for your time!

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2022, 11:06:16 PM »
Yes, thanks!

Offline Cynicide

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2022, 05:53:01 AM »
Back with a little bit more progress. Things slowed down as I worked out a method for keeping everything in the character sheet up to date as values were tweaked in Skills, Skill Categories and Stats. During this time Foundry VTT v10 was released so I had to port my existing work to the new version.

The most work has taken place around Skills. When a skill is added to your character sheet it understands what Skill Categories you have and allows you to select one to auto populate the Category Bonus field. As with Skill Categories the Total Bonus will be auto calculated. In addition to this a Designation field has been added to allow you to select whether the skill is Everyman, Restricted, Occupational or None. This has no mathematical effect and is just for record keeping.

I'm not 100% sure if I understand the effect that the Skill/Skill Category Rank Bonus Progression has on the bonus value yet. But I'm looking into how it affects the Rank Bonus. Since this field isn't automatically calculated then it might not be an issue and might just be a nice to have cosmetic addition to the sheet. New Ranks and Skill Favorite checkboxes both now work.

Work has begun on a character inventory there is no functionality other than allowing you to add/delete/edit items your character owns and specify their stats.

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2022, 02:47:29 PM »
So far it is looking good. Are you letting others play with it as you develop?
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline ImaginosMusic

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Pikes Peak or Bust!!!
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2022, 09:30:13 PM »
This is some very good work. Can you give some insight as to what the learning curve in Foundry is like?

Offline Cynicide

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2022, 11:36:30 PM »
So far it is looking good. Are you letting others play with it as you develop?

Yes, very shortly. I just need to write some documentation to go with it.