Author Topic: Best "D&D" like Modules to run adventures  (Read 1556 times)

Offline alloowishus

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Best "D&D" like Modules to run adventures
« on: March 02, 2021, 08:21:14 PM »
I love the RM system, it is much more realistic and detailed than other systems. One thing I don't like however are their adventure modules. That is one thing that D&D does right, it is very clear what are the target levels of the adventurers, it seperates descriptions between what should be read to players and what should be read by the GM. There is a simple plot to follow usually interesting lairs to explore.

RM modules however are closer to reading a fantasy novel, there is oodles and oodles of background stories and histories but when it comes to actual map layouts and interesting rooms/dungeons it is pretty scarce. And when they do, they are usually rediculously difficult and treasure rooms with 20,000 gp in them.

I think MERP modules do a pretty good job, but not always. My favourite is the one that comes with the rules. Simple yet interesting.

So any suggestions on some good RM modules? Has anyone tried converting D&D modules to RM?

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Best "D&D" like Modules to run adventures
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2021, 08:47:35 PM »
The Shadow World Tales of the Loremasters were collections of adventures. They might be your best bet.

There was also The Grand Campaign. I dont think it was ever officially published, but I think I have a copy; it plays very much like a DnD module.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline Ginger McMurray

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2021, 09:12:58 PM »
I've both played in and run a converted Temple of Elemental Evil.

Also look into Echoes of Heaven. You can find it on Amazon. I haven't ran it yet but it gets great reviews and looks absolutely amazing.

My next campaign will be on the opposite end of the spectrum from my current one. I'll be running Castle Greyhawk. No, not Greyhawk Ruins... Castle... Yes, that one. LOL
No pre-written adventure survives contact with the GM.

Offline Spectre771

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2021, 05:36:59 AM »
I've been playing RM since the late 80's and I've not run into the difficulties you seem to be having.  The best option to help with your search are the Shadow World Companions (IMO).  There are some fantastic adventures in each book.  I've taken single adventures from several books now and used them as a one-off for a quickie session with a few friends or I've injected adventures into long running campaigns. I've even based two different gaming groups in Gryphonburg with the Green Gryphon Inn as a home base.  I've never used a single Companion to run through the entire campaign as written in a module.  There are two that I would love to run however, but I would either have to tweak some details or just run it as a campaign completely isolated from my existing game world.  There's no rule that states you have to do any of these things, other then to just have fun doing it.  It's a buffet, my friend!  Take the bits you like and pass over the ones you don't. :D

As for the micro details such as "read this part to the adventurers" and "don't read this part to the adventurers" well, those little bits exist in the Shadow World books too, just not in excess and as a GM, you should be able to have a little more freedom than saying to your party only what is written on the piece of paper.

I've played Temple of Elemental Evil and I always thought it would be perfect for RM and Elemental Companion.  I don't have the actual module, but I would gladly spend a day or two converting it.

As for the PC levels needed for the adventures in question, they can usually be determined by looking at the level and numbers of baddies the party faces.  RM also makes it very easy to add or to remove baddies or to increase or decrease the levels.

Where I differ in preference is in where you enjoy the way modules are written in D&D. I don't like the restrictiveness and lack of freedom of those modules, but that's just preference and play style.  D&D modules always felt to boxed in with no room for straying off the path.  I play from time to time only because I enjoy hanging out with the friends who play D&D, but the modules are definitely not why I play D&D.  Like you, I love the realism of RM and I love the freedom for creativity when I'M GMing and when I'm playing.
If discretion is the better valor and
cowardice the better part of judgment,
let's all be heroes and run away!

Offline Grinnen Baeritt

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2021, 06:40:18 AM »
The best D&D scenario to run as a Rolemaster "convert" would have to be, IMHO, the old AD&D Module "Sinister secret of Saltmarsh".... the reasons are quite a few. Firstly it's one of the best starting scenarios designed for ANY system, I've adapted it for about 3-4 different systems... very low-powered, with a good mix of combat, investigative and social encounters.  Secondly, the maps are good, simple but NOT dungeon-like (basically set around a "haunted house").  The "Low-powered" bit is the important bit here, converting from D&D to Rolemaster directly will result in a LOT of dead characters even at low level.... try running the "Caves of Chaos" and you will see what I mean.  ;) 

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2021, 08:40:01 AM »
I've been playing RM since the late 80's and I've not run into the difficulties you seem to be having. 

I understand where you're coming from, but I actually agree with the OP. While D&D modules are more 'on the rails' than Rolemaster material and you don't want to take that too far, I do often wish Rolemaster adventures had more specific guidelines than the general 'The Task... The Reward' paragraphs that we normally get. I really like the boxed texts in D&D adventures; they are especially helpful for GMs who struggle with finding the right words or who get a little stagefright. GMing is not easy, so a little more help and hand-holding can be a good thing, IMHO.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

Offline Ginger McMurray

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2021, 09:06:49 AM »
I would gladly spend a day or two converting it.

Unless it's your full time job and you work overtime it'll definitely take more than a day or two. Most of the monsters have counterparts in RM but their power levels may be much higher or lower. Also, there are tons of spellcasters to stat out.

I've been doing it one piece at a time as the players move forward. I got tired of that and wanted the game to move faster so I shrunk all of the nodes down to home brewed "five room dungeons."

Offline B Hanson

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Rolemasterblog
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2021, 09:35:58 AM »
If you like the older D&D tourney style modules, you should check out "Legends of Shadow World"--it was modelled on those original series like Against the Giants and Slavers. This one however, is for 50th lvl characters--PC stats included.

They are downloadable here on the forums in the Misc SW Material or over at the Rolemasterblog here: https://www.rolemasterblog.com/legends-of-shadow-world-chapters-1-5/

I was trying to get it down to a single session, but after 7 test runs with my group it takes 2-3 including the usual goofing around.
www.RolemasterBlog.com
Other stuff I've written: https://tinyurl.com/yxrjjmzg
Files Uploaded: https://tinyurl.com/y47cfcrc

Offline Spectre771

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2021, 04:40:00 AM »
The best D&D scenario to run as a Rolemaster "convert" would have to be, IMHO, the old AD&D Module "Sinister secret of Saltmarsh"....

I will definitely ask the couple of guys I work with this weekend as they've been D&D players forever.  I'm sure one of them has the module.  I'd love to read up about it.
If discretion is the better valor and
cowardice the better part of judgment,
let's all be heroes and run away!

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2021, 08:41:23 AM »
The best D&D scenario to run as a Rolemaster "convert" would have to be, IMHO, the old AD&D Module "Sinister secret of Saltmarsh"....

I will definitely ask the couple of guys I work with this weekend as they've been D&D players forever.  I'm sure one of them has the module.  I'd love to read up about it.

Coindicentally, I am currently playing it... from the player side... in D&D 5e. It has been fun so far.

One additional perk is that you could use Sea Law for it if you stat-ed it out for Rolemaster. There's a bit of sailing and (I assume later down the road) naval combat.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2021, 12:17:44 PM »
IMHO, the version of the D&D module can have a huge impact on conversion. I myself end to prefer the style of D&D 1st-3rd vs 4th and 5th.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Ginger McMurray

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2021, 09:28:17 AM »

I have no idea where to look but I know that TSR released a ton of their stuff for free when they went out of business / were bought by WotC. I'm 90% sure this was one of the free pdfs you could get.

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2021, 10:29:04 AM »
Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh had been adapted for 5e and released as 'Ghosts of Saltmarsh'. I don't know how faithful it is to the original modules, but you can even buy the module for Virtual Table Tops (Roll20) at least.