Author Topic: RM2 —> RMU Conversions  (Read 2524 times)

Offline Eladan

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: RM2 —> RMU Conversions
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2021, 07:29:12 PM »
I agree. My original concept title for this class was the "Caller" (Final Fantasy reference) and I think the idea fills a particular niche that doesn't really exist in RMU and is underrepresented in RM2. I'm glad you seem to have a similar leaning toward the Caller/Summoner interpretation.

I think a key balancing mechanic could be the requirement of a physical component for certain summoning circles. If that's too limiting, maybe a physical sample could be used to even bypass some of the circle mechanics (i.e. if you have sample from a manticore, you don't need to draw the circle, but it consumes the sample; one sample per specimen). Just a thought... I think there's some fun to be had designing this class. My fingers itch already.
"And it may be that Eru has set in me a fire greater than thou knowest."

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2021, 07:49:15 PM »
Yes, I like the concept. I also like the Concentration mechanic as a limiting factor. RMU gives very concrete rules for how Concentration works. It also makes for a fun tactical challenge, whether the summoner is a party member or a bad guy: the summoned creature is strong, but it costs the summoner half his activity for the turn, and if you can hit the summoner hard enough, the control breaks. That adds not just balance, but some dramatic tension!
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2021, 09:28:00 PM »
I think you should be careful not to make it too narrow. A focus is good, but if the character really only does one thing, that doesn't give them a whole lot of utility -- unless you build it in explicitly. Are there creatures, for example, that you would use more for battlefield control rather than attacking/defending? For construction? For some other functions?
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2021, 02:37:48 PM »
Note: I am horrible with names so the info below might be wrong.
If I remember correctly (IIRC), I think rdanhenry was doing the same thing you are, that is working/was working on the mystic(spellstrike) and summoner (bunker MMO version). 
IIRC the first discussion was way back in 2014 (or around there) and then again in 2016.

So you may want to contact him and see what he has done.
I also did a search a while ago for spellstrike and did not have a lot of luck and RMU and Mystic brought up too many pages for me to go through. But you may want to look at them and ask what others are doing.

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.