Author Topic: Influence Skill  (Read 943 times)

Offline Vorng79

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Numenorean
Influence Skill
« on: December 06, 2020, 11:45:14 AM »
During gameplay this is one of the categories of skill that we use with more frequency. We play with an high level party so many times we need to interact with high level NPC.
When my party interact on official level I request Diplomacy/administration  without problems (one the last session my party perform a subsequent/coordinated effort maneuver p.speaking+diplomacy at the court of the king of Bellakar, i really really love the mechanics of the SoHK)

I am always unconfortable with "what skill to use to push/force someone to do what you want" on unofficial situation.
I use leadership if the PC use intimidations
Seduction if the PC is more manipulative in his approach
 but to me don't think this is the way the skills are designed in the RMSS (at least if I read the description in RMSS or SoHK).

....Added...
How you manage the resistance of NPC ? opposite leadership/seduction rolls (with different difficulties) and comparison between the results?
La spada da doi mane sola stimo, ed essa adopro a mia bisogna.

Offline gog

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Influence Skill
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2020, 12:34:02 PM »
I think both these skills work, the Seduction skill description makes in clear that it works in that way to me, while leadership does seem a good proxy for intimidation - but that is the one I stick on more.

Offline Spectre771

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2020, 09:07:15 AM »
In RM2 I let the players use Diplomacy as it relates to knowledge of interacting with others of influence and rank.  For "less-than-comfortable" chat we used Interrogation.  "...a +25 bonus if target is discomforted."  :)

For resistance, we allow the target to add the SD bonus. 
If discretion is the better valor and
cowardice the better part of judgment,
let's all be heroes and run away!

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2020, 09:46:39 AM »
If dishonesty is involved, the target might be able to use Lie Perception to see through it. That doesn't necessarily let them resist temptation (I know this is a bad idea but...), but knowledge that someone is trying to manipulate you should give a good bonus. RMU has a more general Social Awareness skill that would cover other types of social manipulation, but RMSS doesn't. In RMSS, you might allow the target to use their own influence skills to recognize when those skills are being used against them (again, receiving a bonus, but depending on the circumstances that knowledge alone does not automatically result in resistance).

Of course, sometimes that is obvious. E.g. an interrogation. A resistance roll vs fear (based on 3x SD bonus) would be appropriate there. RMFRP Gamemaster Law suggests RRs for all influence attempts and has tables with the results based on different degrees of failure.

In other situations, recognition of the attempt may have consequences without foiling that attempt. E.g. using the administration skill, the target may recognize you are using your political and social influence to achieve something, and acquiesce for exactly that reason. But they may talk about it, and discuss with others why you thought that particular outcome was so important (if it's not obvious). That could have ramifications.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline Spectre771

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2020, 09:45:39 AM »
That reminded me... if a PC wanted to actively lie, I would let them use the Acting Skill  (RM2) vs. Lie Perception.  Higher roll wins.
If discretion is the better valor and
cowardice the better part of judgment,
let's all be heroes and run away!