Author Topic: Changes to RM2/RM Classic Armor: Cloth Armor, Armor by the piece & Helm mods  (Read 1322 times)

Offline C.Tozer

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • youtube.com/@ofhorrorsandheroes
    • Of Horrors & Heroes
Hi all

I’ve been tinkering with some rules to enhance/add some more flavour to the Rolemaster amor rules for a while now and I’d really like your opinion/thoughts/criticism.

Please see the iink to a Dropbox file at the bottom of this post. If it doesn't work for you plesae let me know and I'll send you a copy of the file.

Yep I’m very aware that RMU is going to be coming out which will shake up how all of the armor types are currently used. At this stage, though of course still TBC, I plan to stick to RM2/RM Classic as so much of existing collection and house rules etc is based on that system. Time will tell I guess.

NOTE – the page numbers at the bottom of each page aren’t arcuate. Go by the page number of the document instead. 
With the attached rules (see the link here) I’m trying to come up with a bunch of solutions/enhancements including;

• •   how to bring cloth armor into the game (gambesons and arming doublets etc)
    •   how to include other historical armor types (such as scale mail, brigandine & lamellar armor)
    •   how to make helmets more realistic

I’d like some advice/guidance/criticism on the following things if you have some time please in relation to the draft document attached:

• 1.    What to you think of the penalties/thoughts around using Armor Types (AT) 3 and 4 for cloth armor? Are the penalties too high or low or about right? (see pages 7 – 8 and 37 – 39)
    Yes as mentioned in the text and in the original RM rules AT 3 & 4 are not meant to be used for humanoid armor. Rather they were designed to be for animals/creatures only. My draft rules attempt to over come that and with the penalties balance things up. Do I do a decent/bad/okay job of this?

2.   Also what do you think of the penalites for helmets/helms? The idea here is that there should be an increase in DB/protection for wearing a helm that fully protects your head but there should be a negative for perception. (see pages 65 - 69). Do I get it right? A little bit right or totally screw it up?

3.   Lastly what do you think of the “amor by the piece” rules and wearing more than two types of armor (pages 69 – 78). Again do I get it right? A little bit right or totally screw it up?

I’d be super appreciative of your thoughts or criticism. Look forward to any thoughts you may have.

For anyone interested I can send through a full copy of these amended RM rules who may be interested. Please PM me and let me know.

Thanks and look forward to any thoughts you may have

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rjlqstv2agmq3tt/Tozer%20Rolemaster%20Home%20Rules%20-%20Amor%20-%20Oct%202020%201.0.pdf?dl=0
**Interested in some Rolemaster Actual Play Sessions to watch - check out https://www.youtube.com/@ofhorrorsandheroes ***

Offline brole

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
I suggest, as these are house rules, to not put them as a 93 page book with illustrations!
This is too much for house rules to hand to players.

Do you have a version that is just the rule alterations and tables? - without descriptions, pictures and historical perspectives?
e crits all round

Offline Ginger McMurray

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
My brain would melt and I would probably decide not to even try and play your game if you handed me a 93 page book covering house rules for armor. RM already has a perceived level of unwieldy complexity that can scare many players. This magnifies that 100-fold.
No pre-written adventure survives contact with the GM.

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Sorry, I got nothing. I'm all-in on RMU, which I think is a much better set of core rules for representing more armor types and piecemeal armor.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline C.Tozer

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Of Horrors & Heroes
Nope sorry - I like to do things "to completion" (aka potenitally overkill) and don't have a slimed down version.

Sure take your point that a vast amount of this could be cut down (historical stuff) etc for the game ... I guess I found it interesting and thought my players might too.

I suggest, as these are house rules, to not put them as a 93 page book with illustrations!

Do you have a version that is just the rule alterations and tables? - without descriptions, pictures and historical perspectives?
**Interested in some Rolemaster Actual Play Sessions to watch - check out https://www.youtube.com/@ofhorrorsandheroes ***

Offline C.Tozer

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Of Horrors & Heroes
Fair enough

Sorry, I got nothing. I'm all-in on RMU, which I think is a much better set of core rules for representing more armor types and piecemeal armor.

Offline Jengada

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
I think all of the DMs in the group get that "I thought they'd find it interesting, too" sentiment. "But wait til you hear the backstory!!!" :) At the same time, the "nope you lost me with 93 pages just to figure out my armor" is very real, too.
I would suggest you make an executive summary page, max 2 pages, that will allow players to make choices quickly, while making the rest available for the nerd-divers in your group.
Said as a total nerd-diver...

Nope sorry - I like to do things "to completion" (aka potenitally overkill) and don't have a slimed down version.

Sure take your point that a vast amount of this could be cut down (historical stuff) etc for the game ... I guess I found it interesting and thought my players might too.

We ask the hard questions here, because they keep us too busy to worry about the hard questions in the real world, and we can go with the answers we like the best.

Offline C.Tozer

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Of Horrors & Heroes
Yeah totally fair point.  :) Will have a play and try to shorten and critically write a summary.

I guess the main thing I'd like feedback on are a few, relatively short pages; penalties/thoughts around using Armor Types (AT) 3 and 4 for cloth armor (see pages 7 – 8 and 37 – 39) and what do you think of the penalites for helmets/helms?  (see pages 65 - 69).

Ignore the rest.

I'd be really keen to hear your thoughts.

I think all of the DMs in the group get that "I thought they'd find it interesting, too" sentiment. "But wait til you hear the backstory!!!" :) At the same time, the "nope you lost me with 93 pages just to figure out my armor" is very real, too.
I would suggest you make an executive summary page, max 2 pages, that will allow players to make choices quickly, while making the rest available for the nerd-divers in your group.
Said as a total nerd-diver...