Author Topic: Lay Healer prosthetics and artificial flesh  (Read 1179 times)

Offline Jengada

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Lay Healer prosthetics and artificial flesh
« on: September 28, 2020, 11:23:33 AM »
I have a character who is getting an arm made by a lay H
healer. The limb will likely be metal, and we were looking at the Artificial Flesh spell. The question arose, does it heal? Bleed? How does it maintain, if the lay healer isn't around to fix it. We all had this image of a metal arm with scraps and shreds of fake skin falling off of it. That seems pretty shabby for a 10th level spell.
I'm interested in what others have done.
Also, do you assume the prosthetics from a lay healer couple seamlessly to the body, or have some sort of harness? The latter is something you could get from a nonmagical craftsman, so seems, again, to be kind of shabby for what you'd get from a spell caster whose expertise is this kind of thing.
We ask the hard questions here, because they keep us too busy to worry about the hard questions in the real world, and we can go with the answers we like the best.

Offline Ginger McMurray

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Lay Healer prosthetics and artificial flesh
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2020, 11:28:13 AM »
I'd definitely let the skin heal, unless the character wants the cyberpunk vibe.

Definitely no harness. These are magical items.

How do they plan on animating it? Permanence is expensive, and maybe not even possible. a daily item for Animate (8 hours) could be useful.
No pre-written adventure survives contact with the GM.

Offline Jengada

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2020, 01:53:19 PM »
She's getting a ring of Animate (8 h), yep. We're discussing options like compartments or a built in dog-whistle (she has a hunting dog). Also wondering if the shoulder coupling should be wood, or something besides metal since the party does high-mountain (snow, cold) adventures.
We ask the hard questions here, because they keep us too busy to worry about the hard questions in the real world, and we can go with the answers we like the best.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2020, 07:45:50 PM »
Sorry cannot get to book info right now but...

In General RM Spell List Analysis Strategy:
1) In general when I have questions I look at spells above and below the spell in question on the list. If you are using a product like MERP that has reduced lists then it can be hard to deduce what to do if you have spells of 1-10 ranks vs Spell Law's 1-50 ranks and possibly RoCo 1's 50 and above spells to look at.
2) In general, (I know this is the RM2 section) but RM2 red book SL and picture SL for RM2 had areas that needed to be improved on (like a lot of books). In general back in the 90's people I knew that played RM2 used RMSS Spell Law for spell descriptions as it was an improvement over the RM2 versions.
3) I do not remember RMC SL well enough to comment on it but I would assume, it would be more complete then the older versions.

From memory about stuff:
1) The rank of spells involved can tell me a lot about the spells intent when also comparing it to other magical enchanting spells/rituals/options and enchanting spell lists from other professions.
[size=78%]2) In general again, lower level spells have to be [/size]manually[size=78%] [/size]repaired[size=78%] with the same material and if there is a lower level flesh option that probably needs to be cast again to fix the flesh.[/size]
[size=78%]Roll Play Options:[/size]
[size=78%]1) Yes magical healing would fix the flesh of the lower rank spell but not normal healing.[/size]
[size=78%]2) has to buy ointment/potion to apply to limb to fix the synthetic flesh [/size]
[size=78%]3) More advanced magic item [/size]options[size=78%] for RPing, arm has mouth that eats dead creatures to regrow and repair, arm talks and is sentient (can get PC in trouble in various ways), arm has [/size]components[size=78%] that cna be upgraded in various ways as determined by the GM (ie special rings on each digit, [/size]bracelet[size=78%], special [/size]tattoo (special ink and or metal that wraps into tattoo effect), sockets for gems, etc)[size=78%] [/size]

[size=78%]Hope the helps,[/size]
[size=78%]MDC [/size]
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Ginger McMurray

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2020, 09:52:58 PM »
Something went monumentally wrong with your formatting.
No pre-written adventure survives contact with the GM.

Offline brole

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2020, 06:36:00 AM »
I have a character who is getting an arm made by a lay H
healer. The limb will likely be metal, and we were looking at the Artificial Flesh spell. The question arose, does it heal? Bleed? How does it maintain, if the lay healer isn't around to fix it. We all had this image of a metal arm with scraps and shreds of fake skin falling off of it. That seems pretty shabby for a 10th level spell.
I interpret the spell as the flesh would not heal on its own, and would not bleed because it is "semi-realistic" skin.
I'd allow healing spells to repair it.

I'm interested in what others have done.
Also, do you assume the prosthetics from a lay healer couple seamlessly to the body, or have some sort of harness? The latter is something you could get from a nonmagical craftsman, so seems, again, to be kind of shabby for what you'd get from a spell caster whose expertise is this kind of thing.
I think being a prosthetic it would require a harness.
However if the Joining spells from Blood, Muscle and Bone Law were available I think that would allow the prosthetic to be attached seamlessly.
(Using Nerve Law as well could give the prosthetic sense of touch, and possibly remove the need for animation - creating a fully functioning replica arm).

I'd go with full healing and bleeding and seamless connection for the artificial limb if the above mentioned Joining spells were used along with Artificial Flesh True and a really high crafting skill.

e crits all round

Offline brole

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2020, 08:16:30 AM »
(Using Nerve Law .... possibly remove the need for animation - creating a fully functioning replica arm).
Actually on second thoughts that bit I retract.
e crits all round

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2020, 05:09:35 PM »
 ;D We have just met and already you are talking about my formatting! ;D

Sorry for the bad joke I could not resist.

Yes formatting issues, I run some security software that is having trouble with the ICE Forums as well as it seems quite often I sit down to post and then I am constantly interrupted and natural disasters spring up around me (that is a huge stretch as you can imagine, I hope).
Generally I can catch them and go back and reedit stuff, but I have also had issues with the time limit for posting and I get very tired of losing posts and having to re type stuff.
In the past I have started writing stuff in a text program and then copy and pasting it into the forums  as this tends to solve a lot of issues.

Sorry for my formatting. ;D
[size=78%]MDC [/size]

Note: I left the above formatting as for some reason it was inserted into my post after simply adding an emoji.
It was not on purpose.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.