Author Topic: Roll20 for RM, tips, tricks, and suggestions  (Read 3447 times)

Offline ImaginosMusic

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Pikes Peak or Bust!!!
Re: Roll20 for RM, tips, tricks, and suggestions
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2020, 01:23:00 PM »
I made some comments about Astral that I don't want to repeat: http://www.ironcrown.com/ICEforums/index.php?topic=19809.msg233682#msg233682

I'm using Roll20 for rolling, and Zoom for voice/video.

I have played a few sessions over Astral. I found it to have a great interface. Easy to use and easy on the eye. It fell short during play though.

I use the comm tools in Roll20 with voice only. We have very few problems with a group of seven. I have had more issues with voice on discord than on Roll20. I have never used video.

Offline KeithT

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2020, 02:03:27 PM »
Thank you for your comments

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2020, 09:39:26 PM »
I use the comm tools in Roll20 with voice only. We have very few problems with a group of seven. I have had more issues with voice on discord than on Roll20. I have never used video.
The groups I have played with always go with Roll20, but with Discord for audio. I don't think it is an improvement. When we play with just Roll20 - only using the audio component and no video, like ImaginosMusic, we will have a few drop-outs (where someone can't hear someone else) but they are generally cleared up by reconnecting. That only takes a few seconds, usually. On Discord there have been several times where a person will be dropped and cannot reconnect at all. It is texting for them for the rest of the game. So, my - admittedly limited - experience is to just use one platform, don't cross the streams (so to speak  ;D).

I have no experience at all with Astral. (I am wondering if you are talking about using Astral Space to communicate through. I mean, what is wrong with the Ethereal Plane? Not good enough for you, huh?!?!?  ;) )
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2020, 11:06:13 PM »
We tried using Roll20 for everything, but found the audio to be poor. We switched to Discord just for audio and saw significant improvement. Not sure why our experience was the opposite of RandalThor's.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline ImaginosMusic

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Pikes Peak or Bust!!!
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2020, 11:45:39 PM »
I have no experience at all with Astral. (I am wondering if you are talking about using Astral Space to communicate through. I mean, what is wrong with the Ethereal Plane? Not good enough for you, huh?!?!?  ;) )

Being more specific, I was meaning the Astral VTT online app. If someone comes up with an Ehtereal Plane VTT, I'll give it a try! :-)~

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2020, 01:10:38 AM »
We tried using Roll20 for everything, but found the audio to be poor. We switched to Discord just for audio and saw significant improvement. Not sure why our experience was the opposite of RandalThor's.

Audio quality seems to vary between the different services depending on where you are. Our work colleagues in Europe keep using Skype, for example, even though it's uniformly terrible for us in the US. I would not be surprised to hear that Discord or Roll20 works better in some areas than others.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2020, 08:37:57 PM »
Audio quality seems to vary between the different services depending on where you are. Our work colleagues in Europe keep using Skype, for example, even though it's uniformly terrible for us in the US. I would not be surprised to hear that Discord or Roll20 works better in some areas than others.
I guess that shouldn't be surprising. For my games we have people on both US coasts, as well as in the middle. In one, we had someone from Brazil, but work got in the way and he had to drop out. If I remember correctly the guy who keeps getting kicked out of Discord in on the West Coast. Is that a known bad area for Discord?
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2020, 12:13:32 AM »
Discord is based in San Francisco, so I'd be surprised if they are bad across the entire US west coast. My personal use is in New England though. It's pretty stable out here.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline rdanhenry

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • This sentence is false.
« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2020, 04:10:42 AM »
When was the last time you tried the built-in audio for Roll20? They have worked to improve it over time.
Rolemaster: When you absolutely, positively need to have a chance of tripping over an imaginary dead turtle.

Offline Witchking20k

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2020, 04:26:23 AM »
I've never had any real issues with roll20. Some nights we turn off video if it seems a little "laggy". That's been it over 3+ years.
I think a nice presence for SW might be a token set and map pack fro roll20.
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2020, 09:22:13 AM »
When was the last time you tried the built-in audio for Roll20? They have worked to improve it over time.

We tried when we first shifted our games to Roll20 -- so around March of this year.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline Onirim

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • DeviantArt Galery
« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2020, 01:03:19 AM »
The audio quality on Discord is 64 kb by default, 96 kb max on free server.
The audio quality on Roll20 is based on WebRTC, and technically can go up to 512 kb, but I suspect he goes up to 128 or 256.
I'm very disappointed by Discord audio BTW ^^
RM2/SM2 french gamemaster