Author Topic: Players Roll for Everything  (Read 871 times)

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Players Roll for Everything
« on: January 22, 2020, 10:16:52 PM »
OK, so I have volunteered for a local gaming charity event. If I get picked to run a game, I am thinking about doing a HARP game. (Finger's crossed.) In order to make things really easy on myself, I am thinking about having the player's roll for everything, even when getting attacked. Not like they use their attackers OB, but like they roll a defense roll using their DB.

Example: Groff, the fighter, is getting attacked by an orc. The player rolls the dice and adds their DB (including any OB they added). Now, my problem here is: what are rolling against? Do I say that the attacker rolled a specific number which is added to their OB and use that as a target number? In that way, the resulting number is looked up on the appropriate attack table to determine the results. Does that sound workable? If so, what is the number I should use? The average of a d100 is 51, should I use that? Or is 55 or even 60 more appropriate?

Also, is there another way to do it that is easy?
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline Radimon

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Players Roll for Everything
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2020, 01:22:10 AM »
Personally, I would say use either 50+OB or 101 (minimum result for a success), whichever is higher.
Murphy's Law says 'Whatever can go wrong, will go wrong.'

I think Murphy was an incurable optimist.

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Players Roll for Everything
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2020, 08:27:46 AM »
Personally, I would say use either 50+OB or 101 (minimum result for a success), whichever is higher.
Something like that is where I am leaning, but I just want to make it quick and with the way HARP does this (where different amounts of OB is taken off for DB on a round-by-round basis) means it is fluid. That could be problematic. I guess I could just pre-build in set numbers, determine the numbers at: 100% OB, 75% OB / 25% DB, 50% / 50% OB/DB, 25% OB / 75% DB, and 100% DB. A bit of work ahead of time, but could save time in-game. What do you all think?
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.