Author Topic: Langeshar, North Western Jaiman  (Read 1589 times)

Offline AAdos23

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Langeshar, North Western Jaiman
« on: December 23, 2019, 10:18:22 AM »
Hi, newbie to the forum! Anybody point me in the direction of information about the town of Langeshar, on the northern Jaiman coast. I have every Shadow World source book and all the novels, but not read the novels yet. Any help greatly appreciated...

Offline Thot

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Langeshar, North Western Jaiman
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2019, 10:32:36 AM »
The book that might of interest is obviously "The Land Of Xaar and Northern Saralis", but that book doesn't offer many details. So, you are free to fill it in any way you see fit! :)

Offline AAdos23

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2019, 12:02:49 PM »
Yes, I'm currently using the Xa'ar source book for a writing project and couldn't find any info on Langeshar. I thought perhaps I'd missed it, or there is something small written elsewhere. And I purchased the novels but haven't had a chance to read them yet, so don't know if it's mentioned there. Thank you for the reply

Offline Spectre771

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2019, 03:00:59 PM »
Perhaps Terry K. Amthor has a couple of ideas he could throw your way. :)

Terry!  Get in here! :D
If discretion is the better valor and
cowardice the better part of judgment,
let's all be heroes and run away!

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2019, 12:49:53 PM »
Yes, I'm currently using the Xa'ar source book for a writing project and couldn't find any info on Langeshar. I thought perhaps I'd missed it, or there is something small written elsewhere. And I purchased the novels but haven't had a chance to read them yet, so don't know if it's mentioned there. Thank you for the reply

Not to be snotty but only my novel is canon; the others were done without my knowledge or permission. Please treat them as you wish.

I don't remember the area you mention, but I wrote that book decades ago. Please feel free to do what you wish!  :)

TKA
Terry K. Amthor
Shadow World Author, Rolemaster & SpaceMaster Co-Designer, ICE co-founder.
Eidolon Studio Art Director

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline AAdos23

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2020, 04:25:20 AM »
Hi Terry,

I sent you a PM recently. I have purchased all of your work, both hard copy and digital over the last 25 years. I am aware, and always have been, that Stormrider, and the Hamill books are not Canon. And fully aware that non-canon writings must be, at the very least, frustrating to you as the creator and owner of Shadow World, and any infringement of copyright infuriating. In the Xa'ar source book, some miles to the west of Kelfour's Landing is a town called Langeshar. Logically, it would seem a reasonable port of call for ships from the Mur Fostisyr. However, I can't find any reference to Langeshar apart from that on the map of Xa'ar and Northern Saralis. I thought perhaps it may have been mentioned in the Shadowstone Chronicles or Loremaster Legacy, which I have purchased but not yet had time to read. My use of 'novels' rather than 'novel' was an error. Apologies for any confusion caused...

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2020, 07:12:22 AM »
Hi Terry,

I sent you a PM recently. I have purchased all of your work, both hard copy and digital over the last 25 years. I am aware, and always have been, that Stormrider, and the Hamill books are not Canon. And fully aware that non-canon writings must be, at the very least, frustrating to you as the creator and owner of Shadow World, and any infringement of copyright infuriating. In the Xa'ar source book, some miles to the west of Kelfour's Landing is a town called Langeshar. Logically, it would seem a reasonable port of call for ships from the Mur Fostisyr. However, I can't find any reference to Langeshar apart from that on the map of Xa'ar and Northern Saralis. I thought perhaps it may have been mentioned in the Shadowstone Chronicles or Loremaster Legacy, which I have purchased but not yet had time to read. My use of 'novels' rather than 'novel' was an error. Apologies for any confusion caused...

No problem. I will have a look but it may take time.
Terry K. Amthor
Shadow World Author, Rolemaster & SpaceMaster Co-Designer, ICE co-founder.
Eidolon Studio Art Director

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline Jenkyna

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2020, 10:22:52 AM »
I thought perhaps it may have been mentioned in the Shadowstone Chronicles or Loremaster Legacy, which I have purchased but not yet had time to read.

I don't recall it being mentioned in Loremaster Legacy. I am a bit confused by the mention of Shadowstone Chronicles OR Loremaster Legacy, because Loremaster Legacy is book 1 of the Shadowstone Chronicles series. Book 2 isn't out yet.

(click to show/hide)

Not to be snotty but only my novel is canon; the others were done without my knowledge or permission. Please treat them as you wish.

You don't sound snotty. I think it's pretty normal for the creator of a work to decide what is and isn't canon within the scope of that work.

ICE seems to face some pretty unique challenges owing to to copyright for a lot of their material not being owned by ICE anymore. I'm probably not expressing this well, but what I mean is all the books you guys can't republish because the rights reverted to the original writers. Not sure how much of that applies to ShadowWorld, but I do notice that only a few of the original modules are on DriveThruRPG. That must make the job of updating ShadowWorld for the modern age a lot harder.

I am a bit curious about the history here. Were the other books something ICE commissioned after you left in 1992? Never read them, but I do think the 1995 Curse of Kabis module was really way off in terms of Canon.

My overall feeling is that ICE didn't really know what to do with ShadowWorld after you left.

Offline AAdos23

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2020, 09:26:51 PM »
Thanks Terry. Appreciate it, even if it's just to say you have no interest...