Author Topic: Treasure Companion - only spells up to level 10 can be imbedded?  (Read 1181 times)

Offline Thot

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Treasure Companion - only spells up to level 10 can be imbedded?
« on: November 28, 2019, 02:00:36 PM »
Am I missing something here? The spell in TC lists seem to indicate that it is completely impossible to imbed any spells into a magic item that are higher than level 10?

Which is weird, because there is the enchantment for Very High Intelligence, which would allow an item to cast imbedded spells of higher level...

Edit: Yes, okay, there is the one spell at level 50 that allows to imbed any spell of any level... still this seems like a weird jump?

Offline Thot

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Treasure Companion - only spells up to level 10 can be imbedded?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2019, 02:18:35 PM »
Even the "Own Realm Imbedding" Spell at level 50 seems to only allow for basically items that can be used once, and once only.

Isn't there something missing there?

Offline Thot

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2019, 11:25:23 PM »
Okay, you could make a rod, wand or staff with that 50th level spell for any type of spell imbedding, but you couldn't charge it. Also, you couldn't make a continuous or daily item.

Guess I'll have to make up lots of similar spells of higher level on my own?

Offline Thot

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2019, 11:47:24 PM »
The three spells to build the higher level spells upon would be:

20. Imbed X
25. Daily X
30. Constant (up to tenth level)

Say we make the relation between enchantement spells and their source spells linear from there on, that would mean an "Imbed N" spell would have twice the maximum level (so "imbed 13" would have level 26, and "Imbed 39" would have level 78). "Daily N" would then be 2.5 times the level of N (so a 13th level daily would require a 33rd level enchantment spell, and a 39th level daily would require a 98th level ebchantment spell), and a "Constant N" would require three times as high levels for the enchantment as the spell to be imbedded (so 39th level for a 13th level spell to be embedded, and 117th level for a 39th level to be embedded). Clean and simple.

Depending on how the distribution of levels is in your game world, that allows conclusions about just how rare such items must be. And of course, what the price of such items would be, as per TC.

Offline terefang

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2019, 02:26:29 AM »
quote from spell law:

MAKING “ARTIFACTS”
Certain magic items which could not be made using the rules included in Spell Law
can be classified as “Artifacts.” Requirements for making an artifact could be:
special ceremonies, special groups of individuals, special sites, special equip-
ment, special material, sacrifices, etc.

for advanced item creation i would refer you to the Alchemy Companion.
I'd swallow cthulhu whole, with sushi and soy-sauce.

Currently: [BME] [FitD]
Legacy: [d6] [Genesys] [ArsMagicka] [MERP] [HARP] [Ubiquity] [d20] [WoD] [SR] [WHFRP] [WOIN/O.L.D.] [RM2/C]

Offline Thot

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2019, 03:16:38 AM »
... which, unfortunatly, doesn't seem to be available at drivethroughrpg.com.  :-\

Offline brole

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2019, 06:53:42 AM »
... which, unfortunatly, doesn't seem to be available at drivethroughrpg.com.  :-\

From Alchemy Companion
90-Daily True (F) As Lord Daily, except 1st to 50th level spells can be imbedded: .....

If you don't like going beyond level 50 you could require research be done first and then for example:
Require that level 25 Daily True be cast for every 5 levels beyond 10 of the spell being imbedded.
Also require participants performing a magic ritual each day in addition to the other usual required spells.

(I must admit I've only created items using RAW in SL containing spells only up to level 10.)
e crits all round

Offline Ecthelion

• ICE Forum Moderator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Character Gallery
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2019, 09:26:31 AM »
Am I missing something here? The spell in TC lists seem to indicate that it is completely impossible to imbed any spells into a magic item that are higher than level 10?

Which is weird, because there is the enchantment for Very High Intelligence, which would allow an item to cast imbedded spells of higher level...

Edit: Yes, okay, there is the one spell at level 50 that allows to imbed any spell of any level... still this seems like a weird jump?
Treasure Companion has a section on Divine Magic on pg. 114-118 that contains some lists with spells of up to level 180. On these lists are spells that allow imbedding spells higher than level 10. So the gods or extremely high level alchemists might create such items without resorting to e.g. ritual magic.

Offline Thot

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2019, 10:27:04 AM »
Found them! So I WAS missing something. Awesome, thanks! :D