Author Topic: Lore  (Read 2106 times)

Offline Ginger McMurray

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Lore
« on: November 20, 2019, 11:15:50 AM »
Back in the day our GM had a chart for Lore skills which described what you knew with each rank. For example, 4 ranks of demon lore might tell you about Type I and II demons, but you'd need 15 to know the abilities of demons beyond the pale. I have no idea if those were from a book or if he made them himself.

Does anyone know if these came from a companion or other rule book? Unfortunately hard copies aren't exactly searchable, especially the ones I haven't bought yet.
No pre-written adventure survives contact with the GM.

Offline Jengada

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Lore
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2019, 11:42:02 AM »
Back in the day our GM had a chart for Lore skills which described what you knew with each rank. For example, 4 ranks of demon lore might tell you about Type I and II demons, but you'd need 15 to know the abilities of demons beyond the pale. I have no idea if those were from a book or if he made them himself.

Does anyone know if these came from a companion or other rule book? Unfortunately hard copies aren't exactly searchable, especially the ones I haven't bought yet.
Does the fact you had to post this mean you failed your RM Lore skill roll? :)
We ask the hard questions here, because they keep us too busy to worry about the hard questions in the real world, and we can go with the answers we like the best.

Offline Ginger McMurray

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2019, 11:45:52 AM »

It turns out it means that Lore won't work for it. They were home brew. He's sending me a spreadsheet so it's all good. :D

Offline Spectre771

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2019, 11:48:58 AM »

It turns out it means that Lore won't work for it. They were home brew. He's sending me a spreadsheet so it's all good. :D

Nope!!

Open-ended up.  176+ Absolute success  :D
If discretion is the better valor and
cowardice the better part of judgment,
let's all be heroes and run away!

Offline Thot

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2019, 11:50:29 AM »

Offline netbat

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2019, 07:26:24 PM »
It is not RM2/RMC, but SoHK lists what difficulty a demon lore static maneuver would be based on demon type and also gives limits on what kind of rolls are possible based on your knowledge level(derived from number of skill ranks).
There is no frigate like a book to take us lands away -
                                                   Emily Dickenson

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2019, 12:42:09 AM »
Nice tip Netbat! I might use that myself.

Thanks for that.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline Ginger McMurray

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2019, 09:16:20 AM »
It is not RM2/RMC, but SoHK lists what difficulty a demon lore static maneuver would be based on demon type and also gives limits on what kind of rolls are possible based on your knowledge level(derived from number of skill ranks).

SoHK?

Offline Majyk

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2019, 09:40:21 AM »

School of Hard Knocks(RMFRP but still great for charts on skill use.

For our part, I used to link Lores(Herbs/Poisons) to whatever their difficulty numbers were in their chart codes.

If a chart code had a number(1-9), then a PC needed to have that many ranks in that lore Skill to know the herb or poison without a roll.
If higher, I’d then allow a roll(101+/111+) to ID it using the corresponding Difficult mod according to the chart code number(1=Routine, 2=Easy, etc.).

For Creature Lores, it was similar but ramped up based on Type/Class(Demon/Undead) or Lvl(for Dragons/Faerie):
For every Type/Class of creature(from I-VI) I’d have thresholds of Type/Class*2 for number of ranks needed to know a creature name without a roll of any kind.

Lvl-wise and for Ability/Weakness knowledge, I’d swing it a bit but would halve, third, or quarter a creature’s Lvl(Lvl Lore Result) for number of ranks to ID it.
I’d then let the skill roll on the resulting Lvl Lore Result([size=78%]1=Routine, 2=Easy, etc.) allow learning actual info.[/size]

SoHK?

Offline rdanhenry

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • This sentence is false.
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2019, 10:34:48 PM »
Rolemaster Companion II had a Lore Table that was a similar idea, but it was just in general terms for all lores and generally assumed 10 ranks pretty much covered the subject, unless you wanted to real dig into specialized sublore. Whether the assumption was a Dark Ages Europe style of setting where lore was that limited or whether it was done with the assumption that you'd do well to get a PC to put 10 ranks into lore by high level because DP were mainly for combat skills, I don't know. It seems like the GM was customizing in a lot more detail. This is the sort of thing that is best defined in a world-specific way. After all, the most powerful entities might be the best known due to the attention they grab, or they might be obscure due to rarely appearing (demon lords) or few surviving to report any details (powerful undead, particularly destructive dragons) or their ability to confound study (faerie queens). Any number of other factors might apply. And while a rank-based approach is usually best if there is time to research or recollect, lore used under pressure will usually deserve a maneuver roll like any other skill, so total skill bonus will still come into play.
Rolemaster: When you absolutely, positively need to have a chance of tripping over an imaginary dead turtle.

Offline Prince Finnion

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2020, 01:54:42 PM »

Can you share the spreadsheet? I'm always looking for more resources for the game.