Author Topic: Trouble on remote Access of ERA  (Read 1095 times)

Offline Ephraim

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Trouble on remote Access of ERA
« on: November 16, 2019, 08:44:52 PM »
I'm using the latest ERA for Linux (downloaded from DrivethroughRPG). I only have the basic module installed at this point while experimenting with the Linux version. Running CentOS 7.

On the local machine, the server starts up just fine (both with a head and headless). On the local server, I can access the server just fine as well (both on the localhost IP and the public IP). However, when I try to access the server using any remote device, weird things happen. iPad and iPhone (using Safari) just hang on a blank screen. Another Linux box using Chrome will initially hang, then display what you see in the attached Screenshot while still hanging. After about 5 min, the top graphic just disappears and the rest of the screen remains. Any clickthrough on a link just repeats the hanging sequence while eventually getting to the screen, but with horrible formatting.

It's almost like something is being blocked by a firewall, but I've made sure for the tests that firewalld is just turned off.

If you see this message before the mods approve the Screengrab, it is the initial window, but displayed without any sort of formatting and in a rather haphazard way. The top graphic is incomplete, the selection icons are present, but the links show up only as text links.

"netstat -a" on the server shows these connections (cbt is port 7777, 10.0.0.15 is the server, 10.0.0.172 is the client):

tcp        0      0 10.0.0.15:cbt     10.0.0.172:37946        FIN_WAIT2
tcp        0      0 10.0.0.15:cbt     10.0.0.172:37954        FIN_WAIT2
tcp        0  16384 10.0.0.15cbt     10.0.0.172:37948        ESTABLISHED
tcp        0  15928 10.0.0.15:cbt     10.0.0.172:37950        ESTABLISHED
tcp        0      0 10.0.0.15:cbt     10.0.0.172:37952        FIN_WAIT2

Any help is appreciated.

Offline Ephraim

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Trouble on remote Access of ERA
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2019, 10:48:29 AM »
Also, the Raspberry Pi package does not work on the official Raspbian software. (Based on Buster)

Offline Ephraim

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2019, 10:21:17 AM »
Using Chrome's debug tools, I can see that under the "sources", the local display (which works) has "JQuery-3.3.1" listed as a source. On the remote display, that is missing.

I've looked in the settings of Chrome and Javascript is allowed. Also, the same thing appears when using the firefox browser. It appears that JQuery is somehow either being blocked or not served remotely.  I don't know if this is the same problem or not, but I found this link that talks about JQuery being served locally, but not remotely. The only place I could find the word "JQuery" was in "ERA-Server.image"

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/2490991/why-browser-doesnt-recognize-jquery-when-script-src-jquery-js-is-on-a-html

Offline Ephraim

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2019, 11:02:06 AM »
Well, I don't know now. Inspecting the sources shows jQuery is being fetched from this URL:

http://x.x.x.x::7777/files/jQuery-3.3.1/jquery-3.3.1.min.js

On the remote browser, I can still fetch it directly from that URL. However, when the default page of ERA is loaded, it is definitely not loaded even though the URL is in the sources of the page that does load. perhaps the browser is hanging up on something else before it gets to loading that script.

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2019, 09:08:34 PM »
First of all, thanks for all the details. I'm sure with that level of dedication to the analysis we will solve your issue!

Second, there is no need to wait for moderator approval. These sort of complex situations are best followed via the support mail account: era-support.voriigkye@recursor.net
Please send any screenshots, list of steps to reproduce the issue, and if it exists the ERA/Server/ERA-Support.log file.

The only thing I can think of for now to see if anything changes, is to modify the default port from 7777 to something else, like 20111 (to say something reallly high). You can change that in the settings file. For example in ERA/RMFRP/ERA-RMFRP-Settings.conf add the following line:
ServerPort = 20111

Offline Ephraim

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2019, 11:33:40 PM »
I changed the server port to 20111 and I still get the same problems. I've sent you an email with snapshots of the screen. The remote screen has Chrom debug open with several retrieval errors shown. Hope that helps.

Thanks for the response.