Author Topic: Haalkitaine Errata/corrections  (Read 3988 times)

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
Haalkitaine Errata/corrections
« on: November 07, 2019, 11:17:54 PM »
Please post any errata or corrections you find here. We'll fix errors, and periodically post a free PDF update at Drivethru. Thanks!
Terry K. Amthor
Shadow World Author, Rolemaster & SpaceMaster Co-Designer, ICE co-founder.
Eidolon Studio Art Director

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline terefang

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Haalkitaine Errata/corrections
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2019, 04:40:00 AM »
bookmarks (pdf annotations) dont work

xpdf shows the following errors:

Syntax Error: failed to look up (p5)
Syntax Warning: Bad named destination value
I'd swallow cthulhu whole, with sushi and soy-sauce.

Currently: [BME] [FitD]
Legacy: [d6] [Genesys] [ArsMagicka] [MERP] [HARP] [Ubiquity] [d20] [WoD] [SR] [WHFRP] [WOIN/O.L.D.] [RM2/C]

Offline terefang

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2019, 05:04:55 AM »
after analyzing a little bit...

seams your multiple load/save has discarded the Names dictionary from the PDF Catalog entry hence missing all named destinations of the bookmarks/annotations (in pdf speek)

Legacy: [d6] [Genesys] [ArsMagicka] [MERP] [HARP] [Ubiquity] [d20] [WoD] [SR] [WHFRP] [WOIN/O.L.D.] [RM2/C]

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2019, 06:33:17 AM »
after analyzing a little bit...

seams your multiple load/save has discarded the Names dictionary from the PDF Catalog entry hence missing all named destinations of the bookmarks/annotations (in pdf speek)

THose bookmarks are generated by Acrobat. I normally wait until we have a round of errata and then I rebuild the PDF and manually create the Bookmarks (which is tedious, believe me).
Terry K. Amthor

-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline Jenkyna

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2019, 08:15:41 AM »
Thank for posting this. How long do we have before any corrections need to be ready for the print edition?

Offline Jenkyna

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2019, 10:28:26 AM »
I found what might be a contradictory piece of text.

On Page 17 in the paragraph on The Gryphon. The device is refered to as a Lords of Essænce Orb. However on Page 25 in the 4980 paragraph the text refers to the device as Taranian.

I realize the difference may be intentional, Zener could be wrong, the Taranian's could have discovered a Lords of Essænce Orb and then the Zorians rediscovered it, etc...  I thought I would point it out in case this is an unintended conflict between the new and old works.

Regardless of which it is I'd probably go with Lords of Essænce in my own game, just because who else would leave a thermonuclear weapon lying around where primitives could poke at it with their sharp sticks? XD

Offline terefang

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2019, 12:20:36 PM »
page 248 -- some stray text "scale" in the upper right
page 249 -- stray "!!!" in the upper left

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2019, 03:21:49 AM »
Thank for posting this. How long do we have before any corrections need to be ready for the print edition?

We are doing a small run for Dragonmeet in the UK at the end of the month (I just uploaded the files, with latest corrections), but for general availability we like to wait a couple of weeks after the release of the PDF to integrate errata, then release the print editions.
Terry K. Amthor

-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2019, 03:46:58 AM »
There is a PDF file of the Haalkitaine city map. This is included in the book, but the map was designed at 17" x 22" and I intended to attach it to the book download, but that apparently is not practical. So I am attaching it here. as a free download. You can take it to your local printer, or even UPS or other store that has a large-format printer and they should be able to print out the file. I'd be interested to hear how that goes!

Terry K. Amthor

-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline terefang

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2019, 08:22:06 AM »
There is a PDF file of the Haalkitaine city map. This is included in the book, but the map was designed at 17" x 22" and I intended to attach it to the book download, but that apparently is not practical. So I am attaching it here. as a free download. You can take it to your local printer, or even UPS or other store that has a large-format printer and they should be able to print out the file. I'd be interested to hear how that goes!

this is the same map as the drivethrurpg download

Offline Jenkyna

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2019, 08:31:40 AM »

We are doing a small run for Dragonmeet in the UK at the end of the month (I just uploaded the files, with latest corrections), but for general availability we like to wait a couple of weeks after the release of the PDF to integrate errata, then release the print editions.

Ok, I have some more I will get written up today. The major one I noticed is on Page 45 in the left column bottom most paragraph. The text reads "the youngest daughter of the duke of ? ? ? has been having numerous embroidery parties". The ? ? ? is a placeholder that maybe didn't get filled in?

I had to add spaces between the question marks or they get turned into an emoji.

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2019, 11:10:31 AM »

this is the same map as the drivethrurpg download

I am not aware that the map is available through Drivethru
Terry K. Amthor

-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2019, 11:42:53 AM »
So, Haalkitaine is done, time for a nap. Just kidding! Working on Emer IV, an adventure, and some very special new Arnak evil Spell Lists.
Terry K. Amthor

-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline Jenkyna

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2019, 02:35:17 PM »
Page 24: the year c. 3500 isn't boldface.

Page 25: In the 5899 - 5905 section there is another one of those subscript 9s in the number 5905 at the end of the paragraph.

Page 28: The year 1300 isn't boldface.

Page 30: The year 5998 isn't boldface.

Page 34. Another one of those runic symbol characters in place of a G in the word Spring.

Page 35: Same g in spring as 34.

Other examples of the word spring are showing a normal G, like in Spring 6054 page 40. I've opened the document on a Mac, on an iPad and on PC and the runic character on Pages 20, 34, and 35 is present on all three systems. If you copy and paste it into another file you get a normal g. Hopefully you see this character and the subscript numerals on your own masters, but if not I could PM you a screenshot so you can see what I am referring to.

Page 40: Under Fall 6054: to their former greatness, even finding their legendary dragon. I'm wondering if maybe there is a word missing from the part after the comma?

Page 41: the word "at" right after 2•40 - 2•50 isn't capitalized. On the same page 3•45 isn't boldface.

Page 51: In the House Servants section the instead would seem to contradict the thought to the left of the semi-colon.

Page 51: In section 3.0 the text they are in the oppressive city. I'm wondering if the word oppressive is something other than intended?

At the very start of the second column on Page 51 you have Orhan is half full. right after a semi-colon at the end of the first column on 51. I think there is a word missing from that sentence.

I want to say on these last few I'm really not trying to nitpick your work here. I've always liked your writing. I just want to point out stuff that might not be what you intended before the print copies are made. Hopefully I'm not coming off as disrespectful of your work, because that's definitely not intended. 

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2019, 08:57:47 PM »
Jenkyna,

Not at all disrespectful; I appreciate the feedback and corrections. I will note that the 'g' in Spring is an alternate character of the Galahad typeface that I employed in a few instances, apparently with mixed success.  :-[
Terry K. Amthor

-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline Jenkyna

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2019, 09:44:01 PM »
I will note that the 'g' in Spring is an alternate character of the Galahad typeface that I employed in a few instances, apparently with mixed success.  :-[

Oh, I didn't mean it was bad. I was more worried that something might have gone wrong with a font, or when the .pdf was generated. If it's intentional it's totally fine as is. I read it as a g at the start, and it wasn't until I looked at it more closely that I realized it was a bit different.

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2019, 04:03:37 AM »
I will note that the 'g' in Spring is an alternate character of the Galahad typeface that I employed in a few instances, apparently with mixed success.  :-[

Oh, I didn't mean it was bad. I was more worried that something might have gone wrong with a font, or when the .pdf was generated. If it's intentional it's totally fine as is. I read it as a g at the start, and it wasn't until I looked at it more closely that I realized it was a bit different.

It's like the large screened out first word in the chapter introduction text where I try to get all designerish and stylistic. My editor thought it was some kind of error. Oh, well!  :-)
Terry K. Amthor

-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline MisterK

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2019, 08:47:56 AM »
The apparent inconsistency in the name of the wife of Duke Elrad is still there:
[chronology, p31; "6029: Birth of Kalen Avanir, son of Duke Elrad and Irisa Avanir]
[chronology, p43; "Winter 6057 1.1 [The Duke of Prevan's Enven wife Isil becomes pregnant" and
 chronology, p45; "Fall 6057 Isil gives birth, it is a girl]
 Dukes and Courtesy Titles, p68 "When Isil Aliouné married the Duke of Prevan (...)"
 The Dukes / Kaytha, p72 "+ Her Grace Isil Irellion Avanir, the Duchess of Prevan]

It looks like Isil is indeed the Duchess of Prevan and Elrad's wive. The chronology p31 seems incorrect (mistake between Isil and Irisa, which is also mentioned in Chronology p30 "5970: [birth of Erlin twins Irisa and Irina on the isle of Veriadar, off the SE coast of Urulan] and p31 "6031: During a solar eclipse and conjunction, Irina of Veriadar (now living in Prevan under the care of her sister) awakens (...)]"
The only problem is that the above fits with Irisa being Elrad's wife and the fact that Jad Hurok (Irina's son) is good friends with - and the squire of - Kalen Avanir. Furthermore, the text p65 indicates that Jad is indeed Kalen's cousin.

Isil = Irisa ? It would solve everything. You just need to choose which name is the correct one and search/replace the other :)

Unless Irisa died between 6029 and 6057 and Elrad remarried... once again with an elf ? I know Elrad does not want to play the political games of the court (and thus would likely marry whoever he wants, consequences be damned), but I was not under the impression that elves were that welcome in Rhakhaan.

Offline Jenkyna

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2019, 09:16:39 AM »
Unless Irisa died between 6029 and 6057 and Elrad remarried... once again with an elf ? I know Elrad does not want to play the political games of the court (and thus would likely marry whoever he wants, consequences be damned), but I was not under the impression that elves were that welcome in Rhakhaan.

Kalen's mother is still alive per other parts of the text, so that wouldn't be the case.

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2019, 11:11:54 AM »

Kalen's mother is still alive per other parts of the text, so that wouldn't be the case.

She is still alive and healthy. Let's talk about those mysterious bracelets that Kalen and Jad have...
Terry K. Amthor

-- Clarke's First Law.