Author Topic: New SW Adventure  (Read 2796 times)

Offline pantsorama

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: New SW Adventure
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2020, 07:50:00 AM »
I liked it, but it was more for a campaign.  What I wanted was an adventure to run at cons.  That's not your fault, and is not a reflection on the quality of the adventure, but....  I would love to see an adventure module that can be run in a 5 hour session that shows off RMU and Shadow World.

Also a pony.  :-)

Hmm, I designed these to be independent. What could I have done to make them more separate but with ties to SW?

(Sorry, no pony!)

I think a very tight - go here, do this scenario with a map etc. is what the market is looking for. Maybe use the 5 room dungeon format? But, introduce a single unique element with each adventure? Like, maybe have a short low-level adventure based on surviving a flow storm?

Yes.  On the continuum of completely open world to running on rails, Con modules need to go more to the latter.  Not that one is globally right and one is globally wrong, just different tools for different jobs.  If I am running for a con I need a couple of key NPCs in certain places with clear direction on how to interact with them.  This can still be rooted in the SW mythos, just that the NPC would be say handing out say a quest to further the Loremaster's goals, or a clear villain who for example follows the Unlife. 

When I say this module seemed more for campaigns you module did things like outline a village and how it fits in with the larger world.  That's great for PCs that are wandering through SW in pursuit of grander goals, but it doesn't work for a one-and-done scenario that Cons require.

Offline Twistor

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: New SW Adventure
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2020, 05:48:24 AM »
Having finally read it, I really liked the premise. However, I too would include this as a part of an on-going campaign, where players had to (or more like found it more convenient to) use a Jinteni portal to reach their destination.

For a one-shot, I'd need to have on hand or create a set of characters. I would have to make some decisions about their knowledge (or alternatively have them roll lore checks) about e.g. whether they realize the nature of the Construct or know how to operate the Portal.

I did vote for "Decent" because of my one-shot-critique. That said, it's an interesting adventure in Shadow World, and I'd like to see more.
"This here is my invention. A small orb with a tornado trapped inside of it. Magnificent, like a ship in a bottle but with dynamics and power fluctuating inside. Here, you may take a closer look. Just don't drop it or we will all die."
- Vir'alaar the Air Elementalist