Author Topic: Base attack spells with multiple targets.  (Read 1419 times)

Offline tupper

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Base attack spells with multiple targets.
« on: November 03, 2019, 05:58:51 PM »
When casting a base attack spell with multiple targets (such as "Sleep V"), the caster (I've always assumed) makes one base attack roll and then each target makes a resistance roll modified by the success of that BAR.

How would you adjudicate things if the targets had heterogeneous armour?  For example, with the Sleep V spell (an essence spell) some targets had metal armour and others were unarmoured or had leather armour.  Would you roll the base attack roll using the column for the worst (metal) armour?

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Base attack spells with multiple targets.
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2019, 09:50:18 PM »
I just keep the same BAR for each target, and just apply it to the column that is appropriate for each target.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline tupper

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2019, 12:34:41 AM »
That makes sense. What do you do if you get a fumble versus one target and a successful casting against another? Do you treat that as a botched spell, and neither attack goes off?

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2019, 08:56:56 AM »
Yes, that is the one case where the system doesn't work so well. I would probably do it as you suggest.

Note that RMU has solved this problem by disentangling mods to the defender's role (for things like armor) from the Spell Casting Roll itself. 
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline Peter R

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +480/-480
    • Rolemaster Blog
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2019, 04:49:16 AM »
We have always used the BAR table armour columns to be the caster's armour not the targets.
Rolemasterblog http://www.rolemasterblog.com
Twitter https://twitter.com/RolemasterBlog
Facebook https://www.facebook.com/rolemasterblog/

Spectre771 A couple of weeks ago, I disemboweled one of my PCs with a...

Offline Majyk

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2019, 07:21:00 AM »
Takes longer, but Spell Users rarely get spells off as it is!

Go with individual BAR rolls with individual Armour/Shield columns for each foe.
If wanting to save time, you could divvy up the foes into two groups Leather/Metal and use the same BARs for all members of each group.

It’s risky, though, as a really (un)lucky roll nerfs your encounter for either side.
That said, IT’S RM, babee!

Offline Ecthelion

• ICE Forum Moderator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Character Gallery
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2019, 09:42:49 AM »
We have always used the BAR table armour columns to be the caster's armour not the targets.
In RMFRP the BAR table explicitly has the title "target's armor" above the different armor / helmet variants for each realm. In RM2 this title is not listed in the Base Spell Attack table, but I am quite sure that somewhere hidden in the Spell Law book the information is given that it's the target's armor that is meant.

Offline Aspire2Hope

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Rediscovering the Joys of MERP
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2019, 03:02:35 PM »
RM2 Spell Law 8.313 Base Attack table section - very clear it is the target's armour (shield and something depending on realm). There was never a rule about individual BAR for each target. It just says the BAR reflects the effectiveness of the spell by the caster. Always took that to mean that in the rare cases of a F and a +45 the F was the prime effect for subsequent rounds but the rest of the effects -  RRs needed were applied. This would look something like a Manga hero unleashing a superpower and knocking out all but the most powerful opponent and then standing dazed for the oncoming attack.