Author Topic: Blood Talents  (Read 1014 times)

Offline Athelstaine

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Blood Talents
« on: October 27, 2019, 12:56:45 AM »
I have a question about the Blood Talents from the College of Magics supplement [GC HARP 1004]

It states on page 48
The Development Point cost for a Blood Magic Talent is equivalent to twice the Power Point cost of the equivalent spell...
The character should develop the Use Blood Magic Ability skill to make effective use of the talent....

So lets say I want have Elemental Bolt (Fire) which would cost 10 DP, since it is 5 normally. So my question is, does the 10 DP cost also apply to increasing the skill, which I assume would be under the Mystical category.

To reiterate: 10 DP to gain access to the talent. Then to develop the talent would it be 10 DP or 2/4 DP depending if the category is favored or not

The reason I am asking, I am converting over the Dragonborn race from 5e and they have access to innate breath weapons.
May i serve in Valhalla, better than i did in life.

Offline Radimon

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Blood Talents
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2019, 01:31:58 AM »
You have to pay points to get access to it, and then you have to pay for the skill to use it. Think of it like the Arcane Power talent (p. 54 of the core rulebook), except it only grants access to a single  spell. If it requires an attack or can be resisted, you still need to develop the skill necessary to learn what you pick, just like you would with your chosen spell (there's a list on p. 49 of College of Magic). Keep in mind: as written, this talent doesn't allow for upcasting, like a spell does. That means you're permanently stuck with the baseline version.
Murphy's Law says 'Whatever can go wrong, will go wrong.'

I think Murphy was an incurable optimist.