Author Topic: SpaceMaster in "Dune-Style" Universe  (Read 2650 times)

Offline SAURON

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
SpaceMaster in "Dune-Style" Universe
« on: February 27, 2019, 07:28:47 PM »
I've previously ran a SM campaign using a Galactic Imperium setting based on the Dune movie (minus the specific Dune characters and story lines). Basically a universe full of political intrigue and subterfuge, supplemented by various factions all jockeying for enrichment and power, and a corrupt imperial court. Too bad all my play group disbanded and moved out of the area.

Offline MisterK

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: SpaceMaster in "Dune-Style" Universe
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2019, 07:24:46 AM »
I've always thought that the Space Master original setting was heavily influenced by Dune for political aspects, with the structure of the Imperium and the Great Houses, the vassal houses, the League of Merchants, the Truthsybils of the GCH, the religious power of the Dia Khovaria... Even the original cover of Future Law had a "far future fantasy" vibe.
To be honest, this is definitely not where Dune is at its most innovative, either - but having a sci-fi setting with quasi-medieval political trappings obviously has some kind of appeal for readers and gamers :)

Offline Jenkyna

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: SpaceMaster in "Dune-Style" Universe
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2019, 09:10:00 PM »
According to Terry Spacemasters Imperium was based on Dune.

I think the idea of galactic monarchy is pretty common in sci-fi. You have it in the writings of Asimov, Niven, George Lucas, and Frank Herbert to name a few. It's also the basis for Traveller's Third Imperium setting as well as the Warhammer 40k human space setting.

If we get out of the solar system, and scientifically that is a very big if, I fully expect someday someone will declare themselves 'Emperor of Known Space' at gunpoint.