Author Topic: Gen Con 2019  (Read 5229 times)

Offline Kirsa

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Gen Con 2019
« on: January 28, 2019, 08:46:58 PM »
Long did I wait in the shining city across the river from the land of the unWISe, CONs, and SIN, to attend the greatest of conventions. As I finally rose to strike, my quarry moved to the south and my lands grew sour, depriving me and mine of the tribute needed to follow the beast. So I bid my time, waiting. Now, many years later as my eyes grow dim and I have strong sons to carry my conquest forward again, I shall ride to the south and east and finally claim a seat at the table that should have been mine oh so long ago. Beware oh Indiana, of the wrath of the Northmen.

So who else is going?

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Gen Con 2019
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2019, 09:53:24 PM »
I am able to go this year-- just waiting to see who else is coming!
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline Majyk

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2019, 11:49:41 PM »
One day...when mine own eyes grow further dim...

Offline Siltoneous

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2019, 08:30:00 AM »
I'll be there.  Not my first gaming convention, but this will be my first GenCon though.  Expect to be a bit stunned and overwhelmed the first day or so. =D
"All right, move on! Nothing to see here! Please disperse!" Frank Drebin, Police Squad

Offline Kirsa

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2019, 09:11:53 PM »
Expect to be a bit stunned and overwhelmed the first day or so. =D

Ain't that the truth? Wow. I remember seeing the last printed guide to it thinking it was almost beyond comprehension, I can't even imagine it now. This is my first Con too. Go big or go home I guess :)

Offline Old Man

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Campaign Nook
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2019, 01:53:40 PM »
The Mrs. and I will be there and this year I promise to mine a minute or two to drop by the booth before the last day ... :)

Old Man
** Yes, some of ROCO IV and VII is my fault. **

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2019, 06:02:50 PM »
By the way, never having been, I'm not sure about hotels. Are there any ones that are especially good, or ones to avoid?
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2019, 07:36:24 PM »
I feel like I should go when we release RMU. :)
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2019, 07:47:52 PM »
I feel like I should go when we release RMU. :)

So, this year then?

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2019, 08:29:10 PM »
I appreciate your optimism.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2019, 09:25:08 PM »

I did originally have a smiley after my last comment, but somehow it got erased. :) I know the game's not going to be ready for Gencon, but I am excited that we are getting close to the singularity.

If you do find out anything about the RM presence at Gencon, and can let us know, please do when you can. As I noted, I am going, and would be happy to GM some RMU games, if you are looking for people to do it.

Offline Siltoneous

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2019, 11:22:11 AM »
LOL... Optimistic?  pshaw.... heck, we have complete and utter faith in you and the cape you wear to work each day.  Matter of fact, I have a reliable witness who saw you heading into work https://imgur.com/a/ViaLQps today.
"All right, move on! Nothing to see here! Please disperse!" Frank Drebin, Police Squad

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2019, 06:56:47 PM »
By the way, never having been, I'm not sure about hotels. Are there any ones that are especially good, or ones to avoid?
Pretty much anything within walking distance is my opinion. You're either going to play the housing lottery with GenCon or you're going to pay $$$ outside the block.
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2019, 08:16:12 PM »
Thanks for the lowdown Cory!

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2019, 07:30:15 PM »
Unless you are on a serious budget it is incredibly, I mean INCREDIBLY, convenient to be within walking distance.  Airport hotels are super cheap but you spend a lot of time on shuttles (or you'll have to pay for a car AND try to find parking - not easy), it's not a simple matter to take a quick break or nap between events, you can't pop over to your hotel to drop stuff off, etc.  I just pay the extra cash to reserve outside the housing block.

Last time I went I was up from 8am until 2am on Saturday. If I could have paid someone to carry me the two blocks to my hotel I totally would have.

Make sure you ask for a mini-fridge. Some places, even if they say they have them, you won't get one unless you ask.
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline Kirsa

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2019, 01:50:36 PM »
We ended up so bad in the Lottery that it was ugly for the group of us going (10 people). It actually became cheaper to rent a house for the duration. One of our ten is not a gamer and is going just to go and will actually act as our driver, so we have our own shuttle service :D

Offline Wolfhound

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +10/-10
  • nothin' ta see here...
    • World of Ærnth/Channel Cities
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2019, 11:26:51 AM »
The Mrs. and I will be there and this year I promise to mine a minute or two to drop by the booth before the last day ... :)

Old Man

Yeah, I don't remember seeing you there last year, but do most years prior.  You at least stopped by one of the game sessions I ran before ICE had a booth the last two years.  Unfortunately I won't be making it this year (only the 2nd time in about 7 years that I've not made it) due to finances being a little too tight for that big of an expense.  I will be at GaryCon in Lake Geneva Wisconsin this year though (a little over a week from now) as it is a whole lot cheaper for hotels and while nowhere near as big, a couple of friends live only a couple of hours away (although I will still be sharing a hotel room with one of those friends about a mile from the convention). 

Hopefully next year things are looking better and Rolemaster Unified will be released and the booth can be well-staffed and swamped with fans.  If so I will try to run multiple sessions next year. 
Wolfhound (aka Aaron Smalley)
World of Aernth/Channel Cities setting: www.ChannelCities.com
City of Archendurn & Dun Cru author (for RM/HARP)
Cur. projects: RMU Creature Law 1 & 2, No Quarter Under the Crown (campaign module for RMU)

Offline Old Man

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Campaign Nook
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2019, 08:18:38 PM »

Yeah, I had the worst time finding the booth last year - kept walking by it - so only arrived when we had a short window. This year we're staying in town Sunday night to give us more flexibility so we'll be by earlier.

Old Man
** Yes, some of ROCO IV and VII is my fault. **

Offline dranthor

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2019, 06:16:00 PM »
Am curious will any one be running any of the HARP systems,  Am also interested in any of the systems now out there. But have not had the chance to o a HARP game so would love that. Anyone planning to run at GENCON this year???

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2019, 03:41:59 PM »
Folks, I am searching in the Gen Con Event Finder and I do not see any ICE events: no Rolemaster, Spacemaster, HARP, not even any MERP. This will be my first time attending: am I missing something? Are there just not any events planned? Or am I too early?

I reiterate my offer to run some RMU games at Gen Con, as I think it is important to show the flag there, especially if this is the year the game comes out. (Don't worry-- I will keep my well known opinions about certain aspects of RMU to myself when I GM. I do overall very much like how RMU has turned out!). But I am certainly happy if someone else is going to run some ICE games.