Author Topic: Poisons and the Poison Purification 3rd level spell  (Read 1892 times)

Offline sluagh

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Poisons and the Poison Purification 3rd level spell
« on: August 24, 2018, 06:02:32 PM »
Hi,
In this spell description states that "Neutralises any 1 poison in the system of 1 target". Does it mean that this spell could neutralise any one poison not depending of level?
i.e. Can this spell cast by a 3Th level cleric automatically heal a 4 level muscle poison or a 5 level nerve poison?
Thanks.

Offline Sable Wyvern

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Poisons and the Poison Purification 3rd level spell
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2018, 08:41:44 PM »
It will automatically prevent any one poison from doing any further damage. The level of the poison is irrelevant.

Offline Majyk

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2018, 12:54:13 AM »
Correct, but we(read as: I) always liked contested dispelling power rolls vs “Dispel (insert Poison/Magic/Disease/Curse here)” on the RR table.
For every level differential between the two(3rd lvl poison Purification vs lvl of Poison), give the poison a +5/-5 bonus to resist being cleansed.

This allows for more suspense in a game and really makes players/NPCs sweat vs auto cure-alls for any and every pollutant you pit against the PCs.

The best part is not revealing the end result until the Player’s next turn where they hold their breath hoping the malady is gone...until you dole out more damage from the affliction and grin at the angst and extra impetus that is added to the existing condition continuing on...
 ;)
Enjoy!

Offline sluagh

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2018, 04:04:45 AM »
In other words, the power of the spell (or the praise) is as powerful as who cast it. This is what I was thinking, but the rules didn't say nothing about.
To me, it seems too powerful hat a level 3 caster can remove any poison, this lets poison nearly useless.
I make the mistake of translating a d&d module to RM at it was plenty of magic potions and I tried to adapt these potions to RM spells, but now, I realise that this is not the way RM works, in dungeons there are more magic items to compensate the lack of spells a caster can cast in a a Journey. Also, I like the flavour of make herbalism more relevant when dealing with poisons.

Thanks

Offline Sable Wyvern

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2018, 08:21:18 AM »
In other words, the power of the spell (or the praise) is as powerful as who cast it. This is what I was thinking, but the rules didn't say nothing about.

As written, the spell neutralises any poison, and the caster's level makes no difference.

Treating it as a contested RR is a (perfectly valid) house rule.

Offline Peter R

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +480/-480
    • Rolemaster Blog
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2018, 08:23:42 AM »
Be careful with the amount of scrolls in D&D modules. As almost any essence user can create runes they can reuse the rune paper from the D&D scrolls to build up a great amount of power.
Rolemasterblog http://www.rolemasterblog.com
Twitter https://twitter.com/RolemasterBlog
Facebook https://www.facebook.com/rolemasterblog/

Spectre771 A couple of weeks ago, I disemboweled one of my PCs with a...

Offline Aspire2Hope

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Rediscovering the Joys of MERP
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2020, 06:20:59 AM »
I'm not starting a new topic for something on the same spell.
Hive mind - I'm turning my mind to this spell list (Purifications) in Spell Law (RM2).  lvl3 neutralises the poison so it does no further damage BUT lvl 15 Unpoison removes poison.
Now for disease the disease is still there but limited to the infected area and damage is not cured at level 1. So I would leave penalties in place unless using Undisease (lvl 14) that makes sense.
Are other GMs applying the same logic to poison?

Offline gog

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2020, 07:37:56 AM »
Hive mind - I'm turning my mind to this spell list (Purifications) in Spell Law (RM2).  lvl3 neutralises the poison so it does no further damage BUT lvl 15 Unpoison removes poison.
Now for disease the disease is still there but limited to the infected area and damage is not cured at level 1. So I would leave penalties in place unless using Undisease (lvl 14) that makes sense.

That makes sense and how I'd work it.

Also the fact that the poison with the rank 3 spell is only neutralised and not removed, this has got me thinking about a plan. With the poison, add a second compound that does nothing initially, till it encounters the first poison in a neutralised form. The compound and the neutralised poison then form a new poison, that takes effect a couple of hours later (long enough for the channeller to have gone away). This seems a workable response if the purification list is used lots. It also means the rank15 Unpoison is the way to stop this effecting some one.

Offline Aspire2Hope

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Rediscovering the Joys of MERP
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2020, 08:45:49 AM »

That makes sense and how I'd work it.

Also the fact that the poison with the rank 3 spell is only neutralised and not removed, this has got me thinking about a plan. With the poison, add a second compound that does nothing initially, till it encounters the first poison in a neutralised form. The compound and the neutralised poison then form a new poison, that takes effect a couple of hours later (long enough for the channeller to have gone away). This seems a workable response if the purification list is used lots. It also means the rank15 Unpoison is the way to stop this effecting some one.

Now you are just being mean to the poor players :)

Offline gog

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2020, 11:53:47 AM »
Now you are just being mean to the poor players :)

No, no. Being mean to the poor players, is when there are 4 inert compounds, that react in order with each casting in turn, meaning they need to cast it 5 times in all. All of them of course with different periods of activation and effect.

It is only a way to encourage them to not become dependant on the magic solution.