Author Topic: Was ICE the creator of the Critical Hit?  (Read 2400 times)

Offline Bruce

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +553/-553
Was ICE the creator of the Critical Hit?
« on: June 22, 2018, 01:52:34 PM »
I ask this for a few reasons. I have an ICE shirt that states that very thing. But ICE wasn't formed until 1980 and there have been some I've talked to that say Dave Arneson had critical hit tables in his Blackmoor setting. But no one has been able to find those tables. So is this a question of when it was actually published or what?

Can someone official verify that statement?

I just found a link to an article on this: https://playingattheworld.blogspot.com/2013/09/the-first-critical-hits.html
When you game, game like you mean it! Game Hard!

Offline Jenkyna

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Was ICE the creator of the Critical Hit?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2018, 06:46:51 PM »
Still debatable though. Terry was playing Rolemaster in 1976 in Pete' Fenlon's original game. Terry might know when the game actually began using critical hits, but you could also try posting the question on the Rolemaster FB group. Coleman Charlton lurks there, and does answer historical questions from time to time.

Terry's post on Pete's game: http://www.ironcrown.com/ICEforums/index.php?topic=10647.msg220815#msg220815

Offline Bruce

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +553/-553
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2018, 05:25:48 PM »
The stuff with the Blackmoor setting is dated 1975. Someone posted a link to the tables from the Blackmoor setting and they are much like an RM table except they are only one table. I'll pop over to the FB and see if I can get Coleman to answer that question. If not I will ask him at Gencon if he is there.
When you game, game like you mean it! Game Hard!

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• Shadow World Dev
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2018, 10:09:42 AM »
Still debatable though. Terry was playing Rolemaster in 1976 in Pete' Fenlon's original game. Terry might know when the game actually began using critical hits, but you could also try posting the question on the Rolemaster FB group. Coleman Charlton lurks there, and does answer historical questions from time to time.

Terry's post on Pete's game: http://www.ironcrown.com/ICEforums/index.php?topic=10647.msg220815#msg220815

In 1976 when I was 1st year in college and RPG were new to me, I was first laying a game, it was basically D&D but Pete and Coleman were experimenting with complex tables for attack, and Pete made up the fanciful crits. But that is only my vague memory. I also remember the attack tables were on computer cards!
Terry K. Amthor
Shadow World Author, Rolemaster & SpaceMaster Co-Designer, ICE co-founder.
Eidolon Studio Art Director

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline Jenkyna

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2018, 10:31:08 AM »
In 1976 when I was 1st year in college and RPG were new to me, I was first laying a game, it was basically D&D but Pete and Coleman were experimenting with complex tables for attack, and Pete made up the fanciful crits. But that is only my vague memory. I also remember the attack tables were on computer cards!
Were they working on that before or after 76? Totally cool if you don't know. We're just curious about the games origins.

Offline JakeM.

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Formerly an Angelic elven warrior, now a dad.
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2018, 02:22:37 PM »
Terry was playing Rolemaster in 1976 in Pete' Fenlon's original game. 

Pete Fenlon. Isn't he one of the characters in the knights of the round table comic?
Dibs on that broadsword!