Author Topic: So..  (Read 11732 times)

Offline Nightblade42

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: So..
« Reply #220 on: June 10, 2021, 11:35:28 PM »
Honestly, Hurin, no offense meant but I always felt that, all in all, you don't really want to move away from RM2.

You are of course entitled to your opinion, but personally I don't see it that way. You are right that I am more RM2 than RMSS, and that I do try to add an RM2 perspective to the development of RMU. But I do this primarily because I feel the design team is mostly (perhaps exclusively?) RMSS folks, and they tend to default to RMSS. I want RMU to be balanced, taking the best of both RM2 and RMSS (and adding new stuff to help solve old problems or add new elements) so that it can appeal to both camps, and truly be a Rolemaster Unified.
        I also try to add a historical perspective that explains why things are the way they are in previous editions of RM (e.g. why did Instantaneous Actions get changed 75% activity to 0% activity?), so that we can understand the designers' original intent and balance, and appreciate how errors and misunderstandings crept in; and that often involves doing some digging and some archaeology into RM2 and RM1. So, I just wanted to say, that's where I'm coming from.

I am glad you have done this Hurin.  And yes, I admit I am also more fond of the RM2 ruleset than any of the rulesets that have been developed since (including RMU).  Perhaps the name of the new edition is the problem.  I don't see it as truly unifying the RM2/RMC & the RMSS/RMFRP branches of the game.  I really do see it as a third ruleset whose basis is on the RM lineage it was developed from, but there are a lot of completely new things in RMU that (for me) draw it away from that lineage as well.  But, as I said above - ICE needs something new to keep RM afloat in the ever expanding market of tabletop RPGs & the ever dwindling number of new players taking up this hobby.

Odd brainstorm idea that just hit me: maybe ICE & Terry A. should partner with a video game producer & create a Shadow World video game to help promote RMU when it's finally ready to be released.  That would bring in some new blood & even a new revenue stream.

Sorry, about the aside…

At any rate, I'm glad that you tried to keep RMU faithful to RM's roots, Hurin.  I am truly grateful you have championed that for the community.

Nightblade ->--

Offline Thot

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #221 on: June 12, 2021, 10:57:57 AM »
Honestly, at this point I just want them to launch the kickstarter already, or publish the books without it, but in any case, just finally GET ON WITH IT.

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #222 on: June 12, 2021, 06:17:08 PM »

Odd brainstorm idea that just hit me: maybe ICE & Terry A. should partner with a video game producer & create a Shadow World video game to help promote RMU when it's finally ready to be released.  That would bring in some new blood & even a new revenue stream.

The sad irony is that, just as ICE was going bankrupt in the mid 90s, it launched a venture with the videogame Dark Age of Camelot, which used Rolemaster as the basis of its class and spell systems. It was essentially a Rolemaster MMO set in Dark Age Europe. ICE folded before the game came out, so all the RM elements had to be stripped out of it. Some have speculated that, had ICE been able to last a little longer, the revenue from DAoC (which was quite profitable) might have allowed ICE to survive the lean times... but we'll never know for sure.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

Offline Nightblade42

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #223 on: June 12, 2021, 11:33:21 PM »
You're right, we'll never know - unfortunately  :(

Nightblade ->--

Offline OLF, i.e. Olf Le Fol

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #224 on: June 13, 2021, 07:36:21 AM »
Well, we also know about the MERP debacle. Had ICE been able to keep the rights to it until after the first movie came out, it may have been to profit from its success and survive... Who knows?
"Love is only interesting when it brings great unhappiness, unbelievable suffering, crucifying pain, unfathomable sorrow, endless despair and eternal damnation. When insanity and death become the only ways to escape from love, it means the love story has started to reach an interesting point."

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #225 on: June 13, 2021, 10:01:05 AM »
Well, we also know about the MERP debacle. Had ICE been able to keep the rights to it until after the first movie came out, it may have been to profit from its success and survive... Who knows?

Yeah, that would have probably been even more money. ICE lost the Tolkien license in 1999 IIRC, and Fellowship of the Ring came out in 2001... those two short years!
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #226 on: June 13, 2021, 02:28:19 PM »
I have always wondered if Tolkien Enterprises could have requested that that iteration of ICE release the MERP license voluntarily, rather than force them into bankruptcy to accomplish that same thing (or maybe they did and ICE thought they could pull out of the tailspin). At least then they'd have their rights to re-sell, which was their intent with the movies coming out, and ICE may have still been able to survive. Somewhat debatable as they obviously had to be in a poor position for T.E. to be able to do force them into bankruptcy if the first place. Some of that could have been blamed on the UPS strike and paper cost fluctuations too I suppose. Still, who knows, as much as T.E. has a very unfriendly reputation maybe those running ICE at the time ticked them off somehow and T.E. decided to make a point. The relationship between that ICE and it's freelancers was starting to deteriorate at that point also.
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (> = greater than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline Ginger McMurray

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #227 on: June 14, 2021, 08:12:46 AM »
Honestly, at this point I just want them to launch the kickstarter already, or publish the books without it, but in any case, just finally GET ON WITH IT.

I'll echo this. I'd like to have a look at the new rules in whatever the first book ends up being and and see if the entire system is worth buying but it doesn't seem like that will ever happen.
No pre-written adventure survives contact with the GM.