Author Topic: So..  (Read 28604 times)

Offline MrApollinax

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: So..
« Reply #200 on: November 30, 2018, 07:36:04 AM »
@Nightblade42   PulpMaster!!!  Come on.  It works.  You know it!

@MrApollinax  If we are thinking of the same crowd sourced adventure, it's starting to pick up again..... and if we're not talking about the same project, then there is a crowd sourced adventure that's starting to pick up again. LOL

Pulpmaster...awesome  :o

I think the adventure I'm talking about isn't the same one, sadly.
Author, HARP Garden of Rain.
Tales of the New Kingdoms (blog)

Offline intothatdarkness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #201 on: November 30, 2018, 09:03:44 AM »
@Nightblade42 - Pulps would actually tie in nicely with the modern system I'm developing. Got a whole series of names for the genre specific stuff, too. It's RM engine based, but with some specific changes to combat, skills, and professions (along with some modifications to character creation to make it more viable when not using purchased stats). The main line has a name, and then each addition tacks another two-word name to the core title.
Darn that salt pork!

Offline Nightblade42

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #202 on: November 30, 2018, 08:36:50 PM »
I love Pulpmaster.  ;D

Though, Peter & I have been talking (in a con-current thread regarding the naming of the setting) & I'm currently leaning toward Jeopardy Exile.  Pulpmaster is a LOT of fun, though!  Might have to work that into the by-line.

Nightblade ->--

Offline Nightblade42

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #203 on: November 30, 2018, 08:51:06 PM »
@Nightblade42 - Pulps would actually tie in nicely with the modern system I'm developing. Got a whole series of names for the genre specific stuff, too. It's RM engine based, but with some specific changes to combat, skills, and professions (along with some modifications to character creation to make it more viable when not using purchased stats). The main line has a name, and then each addition tacks another two-word name to the core title.

Sounds very interesting, intothedarkess.  My setting isn't strickly Pulp - the biggest difference is that it doesn't take place on Earth, but on an earth-like planet.  The main country in the setting (called Viilsatakkul) uses Tesla Coil-like towers that transmit electricity throughout the cities.  Every piece of tech (even vehicles) runs on wireless AC power harnessed from these massive towers.  It is also ruled by a Fascist Nationalist Party (similar in many ways to the Nazi Party, though less Expansionistic).  Check out my Name My Setting Please Thread for more information on the setting.

I've been using RMSS's Pulp Adventures; Black Ops; Weapon Law: Firearms as well as parts of RM2's RoCoVI & Dark Space for setting-specific mechanics (Dark Space for some advanced Tech stuff found in one of the neighbouring countries - which might be a bit of a plot hint  ;) ).  I know we've discussed in the past the shortcomings of the Firearms rules in Weapon Law; but for my purposes they seem to work well.  I'm no firearms expert (I'm a Canuk: I've never even fired a gun.  I do own a compound bow and a knife collection, though  :D ), but I'd be interested to see the tweaks you've made to the RMSS Firearms RAW.

Nightblade ->--

Offline intothatdarkness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #204 on: November 30, 2018, 09:55:33 PM »
I've actually redone all the attack tables, basing them on actual ballistic information. I used the SM Mark system to a degree to cut the tables down from the whole book to three or four depending on the weapons used. Crit tables are redone as well.
Darn that salt pork!

Offline Nightblade42

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #205 on: November 30, 2018, 10:12:23 PM »
That would be simpler to fit into a Powered By Rolemaster type setting book like the ones we've been discussing in this thread.

Nightblade ->--

Offline intothatdarkness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #206 on: December 01, 2018, 11:40:36 AM »
That would be simpler to fit into a Powered By Rolemaster type setting book like the ones we've been discussing in this thread.

Nightblade ->--

Exactly. I've been basing the whole thing off RMU's core layout with specific modifications dictated by my experience running non-magic games. That's why the RMU time lag is somewhat annoying for me...I can't finish some aspects until I know what the final look of A&CL will be.
Darn that salt pork!

Offline Nightblade42

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #207 on: December 01, 2018, 09:57:40 PM »
I can understand that.  I think we're all waiting for RMU to be finalized.  It's been a long process - perhaps a little too long.  I hope it has been worth it.

Nightblade ->--

Offline Nightblade42

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #208 on: May 08, 2021, 10:49:53 PM »
So…

Guess the amazing ideas discussed in thsi thread sort of stopped at the brainstorming stage.

Anyone interested in re-igniting the flame & getting some of this off the ground?

Nightblade ->--

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #209 on: May 09, 2021, 05:41:14 PM »
I just reread the whole thread....

Ok, to sum up where we are. A&CL is in the art-buying stage, maybe Spell Law is too. Treasure Law has completed editing. Creature Law is close to being ready for editing. I even just submitted the completed Character Companion for editing, so, bonus book! We have another person on board to do layout instead of just overloading Terry. So things are looking good for a release.

There are a ton of ideas in this thread. Quick start, intro modules/starter sets, mini settings, great! ICE is now at a place where we can look at proposals for RMU products, and I'm now the RMU line editor so you don't have to compete for Nicholas' limited time and attention. If it looks like there is something worth pursuing, we can do NDAs and get you drafts of the rules, so you are working with the final rules and not just the beta. I can also have conversations now about ideas that haven't yet made it to the stage of being a full proposal if you want early feedback.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #210 on: May 10, 2021, 09:00:36 AM »
You might want to sticky that post JDale for anyone who is wondering where RMU is at, as well as those interested in contributing.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline Nightblade42

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #211 on: May 10, 2021, 08:21:32 PM »
That's great news jDale - & congrats on the Line Editor position.  That's awesome!  8)

So how would ICE feel about the idea discussed in this thread: i.e. the "Powered by RMU" line of settings?  And is Shadow World the official RMU setting?

Nightblade ->--

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #212 on: May 10, 2021, 10:58:04 PM »
I could see something intended as a streamlined ruleset that serves as a quick entry point to Rolemaster. E.g. Run Out The Guns or RMX. That seems useful. Of course, in some ways RMU is already more simplified than RMX! E.g. we got rid of the base spell attack table, the RR table, and simplified the moving maneuver table quite a bit. And we already have goal-based XP. But for example an RMU-X might only have the simple rounds version of combat, and maybe you could collapse most of the skills down to whole categories (perhaps picking one specialization, looking at the list actually I think that would work pretty well for a fast-moving easy-setup game).

A campaign path, either on its own or combined with something like the above, also seems promising.

Something that is a complete and fully fledged game based on RMU, not streamlined or simplified, but with enough changes that it merits packaging those core rules in it all over again, is essentially a larger project like Spacemaster. There's going to be a lot of repeated content, if you already have RMU you're essentially buying the core rules twice, and it will have to be either a really big product or have multiple books of its own. I think this is too early for something like that -- not that there could never be a place for it, but we need some material to support RMU first. At this stage, I think it would be better to have a setting/campaign book that works with A&CL, even if it doesn't necessarily work with, say, Spell Law (e.g. a historical setting with no magic). Best if it has material that can be used both in its own setting and adapted into other settings, which could be professions, spell lists, talents, creatures, etc. A lot of RM is about making your own things, but pieces that can be mixed and matched are pretty useful for that.

We'd also be interested in companions of various sorts as appeared in previous editions of course.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #213 on: May 11, 2021, 09:33:51 AM »
But for example an RMU-X might only have the simple rounds version of combat...

I think that has a lot of merit. Offering only the Simple Round makes it possible to simplify several other things (e.g. it allows you to cut out the movement chart and just charge AP to move).

and maybe you could collapse most of the skills down to whole categories (perhaps picking one specialization, looking at the list actually I think that would work pretty well for a fast-moving easy-setup game).

Possibly, though it might turn off RM2 players, who might think that you just buy categories in RMU. Introducing different mechanics is a bit different than cutting out charts.

It might be better just to cut out the skill resolution charts, and have simple success at 101+. That would make this the most 'chartless' version of RM yet, which might have a lot of marketing appeal.

We'd also be interested in companions of various sorts as appeared in previous editions of course.

Hmmm... that made me think of offering an 'Old School' companion oriented towards enabling RM2 players to play a version of RMU modified to be more like RM2. This would include my individual skill costs mod, most of the classes I've made (which are revamped versions of RM2 classes such as Warrior Mage, Armsmaster, etc.), and hope to make (Necromancer, Archmage), most of the revised spell lists I and Eladan have made (Bard, Druid, Ranger, Astrologer, Mystic, etc.). We might also be able to remake versions of the various races that appeared in the RM2 Companions.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

Offline Nightblade42

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #214 on: May 11, 2021, 01:04:35 PM »
That's a good starting point, jDale.  I agree, something you can play "out of the box" using A&CL would be best - without modifications, or at least minimal ones to fit the setting (i.e. no iron weapons/armour in Ancient Greece).  Perhaps a new version of some of the Campaign Classics series (Robin Hood, Mythic Greece, Mythic Egypt, &c…).  I think it was Spectre that was talking about developing a Celtic/Druid setting - which would be very interesting.

And yes Hurin, a RM2 - RMU companion would be a great project, IMHO.

Nightblade ->--

Offline Mordenkainen

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #215 on: June 10, 2021, 02:46:11 AM »
It's been a long, sad process to see the new edition not released over a period of...10 years. Yes, a full decade. A book doesn't take 10 years to write. A system of several books, with a team working on it: same thing. It doesn't take 10 years unless there are long months and years when the "writers" don't so much as crack open their Windows Explorer "Rolemaster" folders. And we haven't been told the truth about that. If you follow the monthly updates, as I stopped doing half a decade ago, it was always "process X is next up in the queue". But that wasn't really the case, was it? Otherwise we would have seen something since the playtest files in 2015.
Look, the team owes us nothing, I guess. But I wish there was honesty and transparency. You, the RMU team, all have lives and day jobs and RMU is priority #76 and never had a chance. That's life.
But over 10 years, a lot happens. RM is effectively a fossil. It was clinging on a decade ago, now, it's dust.

Offline OLF, i.e. Olf Le Fol

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #216 on: June 10, 2021, 07:08:14 AM »
And yes Hurin, a RM2 - RMU companion would be a great project, IMHO.
I don't know... We all want different things about RMU, that's for sure, but what I absolutely do not is a clone of RM2 (because I already have RM2) or an "improved" version of RM2 (because, over the past thirty-five years, I made enough house rules that I consider my version of RM2 to be the "best" improved version of RM2 possible for me).
I want something that feels like a RM product, yet is different enough from all previous versions that I'd be willing to buy it. Honestly, Hurin, no offense meant but I always felt that, all in all, you don't really want to move away from RM2. Following your advice, I'd say that (most) RM2 players and GM would then just think that RMU is so much RM2 that it's not worth moving to it. IMO, it's better to focus on how different it is (i.e., what changed) rather than how much it's still just the same (by trying to make it look like RM2).
The world was then consumed by darkness, and mankind was devoured alive and cast into hell, led by a jubilant 紗羽. She rejoiced in being able to continue serving the gods, thus perpetuating her travels across worlds to destroy them. She looked at her doll and, remembering their promises, told her: "You see, my dear, we succeeded! We've become legends! We've become villains! We've become witches!" She then laughed with a joyful, childlike laughter, just as she kept doing for all of eternity.

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #217 on: June 10, 2021, 09:06:25 AM »
Honestly, Hurin, no offense meant but I always felt that, all in all, you don't really want to move away from RM2.

You are of course entitled to your opinion, but personally I don't see it that way. You are right that I am more RM2 than RMSS, and that I do try to add an RM2 perspective to the development of RMU. But I do this primarily because I feel the design team is mostly (perhaps exclusively?) RMSS folks, and they tend to default to RMSS. I want RMU to be balanced, taking the best of both RM2 and RMSS (and adding new stuff to help solve old problems or add new elements) so that it can appeal to both camps, and truly be a Rolemaster Unified.
        I also try to add a historical perspective that explains why things are the way they are in previous editions of RM (e.g. why did Instantaneous Actions get changed 75% activity to 0% activity?), so that we can understand the designers' original intent and balance, and appreciate how errors and misunderstandings crept in; and that often involves doing some digging and some archaeology into RM2 and RM1. So, I just wanted to say, that's where I'm coming from.

Offline Malim

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #218 on: June 10, 2021, 12:39:37 PM »
For all the trouble we sometimes have with RM2. Now doing house rules etc to fix it.
From what ive seen of RMU its a RM/GURPS/5e morph. Ill rather play the systems by them self.
But I still exited to see where it ends, and hope for the best.
Sir Elor Blacke knight of Helyssa, Kytari Fighter lvl 25 (RM2)
Malim Naruum, Yinka Lord Bashkor lvl 27  (RM2)

Offline Nightblade42

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #219 on: June 10, 2021, 11:07:52 PM »
I have to agree, Malim.  I totally understand that from a business perspective ICE needs something new & needs to invest its resources into the new edition.  And I also believe that ICE needs to go back to what worked so well for them in the early years: a great campaign setting with lots of adventures & campaign support.  Yes, they no longer have a liscence for Middle Earth, but Shadow World is an amazing setting & there's already a lot of products published for it that would only need an RMU update to make them playable with the new edition.  Yes, there's a community of long time players who have their favourite editions & their own sets of house rules (my RM2 based RM2/SM2/RMSS with a few RMUisms bastard of a frankenstein ruleset I use, for example).  And you'll probably never truly convert us all.  But to get "new blood" into the game, you need to find something that will draw in new players/GMs while giving us old hands some new ideas to add to our own convoluted house-ruled games. 

I firmly believe this is the best course for ICE & RMU.  But that's my opinion & I don't call the shots at ICE.  But if I can help with creating content to help promote RMU to keep this game we all love alive, then I am willing to do that.  And I'm sure there are many other members of this great community who would do the same.

My 2¢'s (which are Canadian cents, so really my 1.65 US¢'s ;) ).

Nightblade ->--