Author Topic: So..  (Read 28614 times)

Offline HorusArisen

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
So..
« on: June 13, 2018, 03:44:38 AM »
What’s happening with Rolemaster?

I was expecting the new edition about 10 years ago (slight exaggeration).

Will we see this old girl resurrected soon? Or is she destined to be an archived classic?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: So..
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2018, 10:47:06 AM »
The directors briefings in the last few months have been talking about the 'Rolemaster Singularity', when the text of the core books is ready to advance to the next stage of the publication process. It sounds like Nicholas is expecting that soon -- he is saying things like, 'it didn't happen this month', which suggests it is not too far away. You can see this in the director's briefings in the 'ICE News and Discussion' section of this forum.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline Ralfsi

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2018, 12:46:42 PM »
The directors briefings in the last few months have been talking about the 'Rolemaster Singularity', when the text of the core books is ready to advance to the next stage of the publication process. It sounds like Nicholas is expecting that soon -- he is saying things like, 'it didn't happen this month', which suggests it is not too far away. You can see this in the director's briefings in the 'ICE News and Discussion' section of this forum.
As in the may Briefing they stated that the singularity did not happen. And the July Briefing there was only silence, is this the hope we are looking for that it could happen soon? .. Oh how i can dream

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2018, 12:59:53 PM »
As in the may Briefing they stated that the singularity did not happen. And the July Briefing there was only silence, is this the hope we are looking for that it could happen soon? .. Oh how i can dream

Yes, I noticed that they did not mention RMU in the more recent briefing too, but from all we've heard, JDale and the rest of the team are still hard at work on it. I didn't want to keep nagging them, especially since I've been asking for some clarifications and updates to be made to the action economy rules, and that would take time. But I do think it is fair to say that the rules as a whole are in a very advanced stage, and I think we are approaching the end of the development process, at least as far as the text of the rules is concerned.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

Offline Ralfsi

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2018, 02:33:23 PM »

Yes, I noticed that they did not mention RMU in the more recent briefing too, but from all we've heard, JDale and the rest of the team are still hard at work on it. I didn't want to keep nagging them, especially since I've been asking for some clarifications and updates to be made to the action economy rules, and that would take time. But I do think it is fair to say that the rules as a whole are in a very advanced stage, and I think we are approaching the end of the development process, at least as far as the text of the rules is concerned.

and here i am, nagging on you..
Btw, do you know how it will be with the books, is there a way to reserve a copy (all of them).
i've only played RMU beta for <2 years and love to lead a group.
 *also planning on sitting down and writing a "character creation" program with ability print and easy damage tables.. but that will be a future thing*

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2018, 04:16:13 PM »
There are already a fair number of character creators for RMU; check the downloads sections of these boards. I've used the ones by Shorn and JessicaEwers, and they are both good.

I can't answer your other questions about reserving copies; I have no connection to the development team and am just a humble forum member like yourself.

Welcome to the boards though!

Offline HorusArisen

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2018, 12:03:37 PM »
Thanks for the response. Disappointing that there’s no firm schedule. I have fond memories of Merp and RM.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Jenkyna

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2018, 07:55:58 PM »
I'm guessing that ERA will have an RMU module added to it at some point after the "Singularity."

Offline HorusArisen

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2018, 05:55:46 AM »
What’s the singularity?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Witchking20k

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2018, 06:04:19 AM »
The point when all the chaos collides and creates a single new truth.
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Offline Jenkyna

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2018, 10:37:18 AM »
What’s the singularity?

Hurin mentioned it here. http://www.ironcrown.com/ICEforums/index.php?topic=18630.msg223799#msg223799

It's how they are describing their big milestone in their prep for the next edition of Rolemaster.

The point when all the chaos collides and creates a single new truth.

That's certainly one way to put it. :P

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2018, 07:55:40 PM »
I'm guessing that ERA will have an RMU module added to it at some point after the "Singularity."

Of course!
You'll get all races, professions, attack and critical tables, talents, flaws, complete spell lists with descriptions, and some specific steps for RMU character creation!

Offline Ralfsi

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2018, 09:47:34 AM »
And now about 5 months later and the Singularity has not (as far as i know) happend. Does anyone know the progression?
I see they mentioned the Creature law had some work.

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2018, 10:24:02 AM »
I think they are still trying to slay the giant dragon that is Creature Law.

Offline Dr Jim

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2018, 05:11:19 PM »
How much does it differ from RM2? It sounds like a major overhaul.

James
The owls are not what they seem

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2018, 05:35:27 PM »
Yes, it is a major overhaul. On the plus side, that is an opportunity to fix some of the things that were broken about RM2 (e.g. AT 1 being so good). But yes, this is a major overhaul.

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2018, 11:17:33 PM »
How much does it differ from RM2? It sounds like a major overhaul.
James
RM2 and RMSS have differences, but are close enough you can usually easily convert things.
RMSS and RMFRP are almost exactly the same.
RMC is a throwback to RM2 with some minor changes.
RMU, upcoming, is more a departure than any other.  It's not done, so one can't say too much, but converting things won't be near as easy from what I've seen, sometimes even in hidden ways you may not catch.
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline Dr Jim

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2018, 07:16:59 PM »
Thanks. I started gaming with MERP & RM2 in the late 80's and ended up bypassing RMSS & RMFRP as they didn't really seem to offer anything above RM2 (and to be honest I just love RM2). It will be interesting to see how the system develops with RMU though.
James
The owls are not what they seem

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2018, 07:50:36 PM »
It's fairly split on popularity from what I can tell.  A new RM dividing the existing fan base isn't a surprise though.  I don't see it being much more or less successful than the move from RM2 to RMSS or RMSS to RMFRP.  A portion of the existing customer base is essentially lost each time.  Those who are lost may want bits and pieces of the new one, but they'll never fully buy into it.

I think it's all going to hinge on how well you've customized your own RM, if you see value in switching and if you like the changes.
Personally I don't like most of the major changes myself and, unfortunately, enough fundamental mechanics have been altered as to make back-converting things problematic.
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline Nightblade42

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2018, 09:47:30 PM »
I agree with Cory on this.  There's pieces of RMU that I like & might adapt to my already frankestein-like RM2 (which uses bits of RMSS) system I use.  But fundamentally, I'm stuck in the RM2 mechanics that I fell in love with back in Junior High School.  But I'm still following the RMU development discussions.  There's lots of great ideas being suggested/tested.  Until RMU is officially done & published, the entire project seems to be in a constant state of flux.

Nightblade ->--