Author Topic: lords of middle earth vol 2 question  (Read 5905 times)

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: lords of middle earth vol 2 question
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2018, 03:22:13 PM »
That being said, 106 St, 102 Ag gives +47 (St/St/Ag = +53/+53/+35) stat bonus, level 100 gives +140 (+3 x 20 +1 x 80) bonus level, for a total of +262 for the stats, level and weapon alone. So Hurin only has three ranks in his weapon?  :Joker2:

Good point. The humans are definitely getting the short end of the fighting stick here.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline Turambar

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Humankind cannot bear very much reality -TS Elliot
    • http://www.multiverse.org/images/albums/AnimGifs/esword1.thumb.gif
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2018, 07:40:17 PM »
+275 OB, with 106 St, 102 Ag and a +75 axe? Ok, mayhap my NPC with +285 OB, with 101 St, 101 Ag and +25 double-axe is slightly powerful. :flame:
That being said, 106 St, 102 Ag gives +47 (St/St/Ag = +53/+53/+35) stat bonus, level 100 gives +140 (+3 x 20 +1 x 80) bonus level, for a total of +262 for the stats, level and weapon alone. So Hurin only has three ranks in his weapon?  :Joker2:
...or, as with my Elendil example above. +140 for level 100, +135 for 140 skill ranks in 'ba' is the 275 OB, and the GM is expected to add in the +47 for stats and +75 for battle ax, resulting in an actual 397 OB.

These books are stacked with stats, and Lotus 1-2-3 wasn't released until '83, Excel until '85. LoME I was published in '85. It wouldn't be shocking to me that shortcuts were taken so they didn't wear there pencil fingers out  ;)

Jason
"Yea, I will drink thy blood gladly, that so I may forget the blood of Beleg my master, and the blood of Brandir slain unjustly. I will slay thee swiftly." - Gurthang

"Farewell, friend. I was a thousand times more evil than thou!" - Stormbringer

Offline OLF, i.e. Olf Le Fol

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2018, 06:35:40 AM »
...or, as with my Elendil example above. +140 for level 100, +135 for 140 skill ranks in 'ba' is the 275 OB, and the GM is expected to add in the +47 for stats and +75 for battle ax, resulting in an actual 397 OB.
Except that, in the case of Angrod, these stat and weapon bonuses seem to have been added? Inconsistency or Elf favorism?
The world was then consumed by darkness, and mankind was devoured alive and cast into hell, led by a jubilant 紗羽. She rejoiced in being able to continue serving the gods, thus perpetuating her travels across worlds to destroy them. She looked at her doll and, remembering their promises, told her: "You see, my dear, we succeeded! We've become legends! We've become villains! We've become witches!" She then laughed with a joyful, childlike laughter, just as she kept doing for all of eternity.

Offline Turambar

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2018, 10:07:09 PM »
I haven't looked through the immortals book recently, but...wouldn't be surprised if they were calculated differently. For the mannish examples, it seems to play out better the way I'm putting forth...so, right or wrong, it seems like the easiest 'fix' if a fix is needed.

Jason
"Yea, I will drink thy blood gladly, that so I may forget the blood of Beleg my master, and the blood of Brandir slain unjustly. I will slay thee swiftly." - Gurthang

Offline Turambar

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2018, 10:15:14 PM »
We had this discussion as well in our gaming group.

We figured that a King, a 60th lvl warrior, just might have tried to bring his other abilities up for the last 30years of his life?
I concur...if a person were to rebuild stats of these legendary heroes, a good start would be to outline level advancement during the various phases of the heroes life, and build the skills accordingly. If a warrior fought in continual wars from 14 to 44, his abilities may be primarily combat-related without any real depth anywhere else. But, if he has multiple time periods spent at peace in which he goes back to the farm...different focus on skills developed. Elected/placed in a bureaucratic position...whole new batch of skills.

Jason

Offline Vorng79

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Numenorean
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2021, 10:12:02 AM »
Yup an old thread……… but so tasty

Facts:    There is a huge different between LOME I&II in terms of character with similar profession and level, not explainable with the mechanics of the games

Comments:
•   Yes I agree that a King /leader not necessarily will have developed his martial skill to the highest level, but the same (indeed perhaps to a greater extent) is true for Elves ( they are so...... philosophic)
•   Elves lives for thousand of years, but most of the Super OB Elves in LOMEI spent a huge part of their lives  in Valinor, where real fight &  battle experience was not existant. I can imagine (and I have done, to develop my background for weapon style in M.E) they spent time in sword play or similar exercise but I can assure that light sparring and heavy sparring change a lot of things related to your progression in combat sport (and I can imagine to a greater extent in a fight where you risk your life)
•   Hurin was the greatest human warrior in Tolkien works and he  have only an OB of 275. One can argue that there was a difference in skill between man and elves, but remember that Turin became the warlord of Nargothrond (commanding other elves) and Hurin slew 70 trolls of Gothmog bodyguard. I think their military skill exceed that of many elves, surpassed only by the most exalted princes of Caliquendi
•   With a 275 BO  both Turin and Hurin are lower than Elves of secondary importance and with a difference of (in some case) more than 200 points to elves of same level. With this difference, in terms of Rolemaster  mechanics they are quite useless, if I figure some scenes of Silmarilon in which they fight side by side with elves (Turin & Beleg, Tuor  in the fall of Gondolin etc..)
•   Earendil (half elves) at 100 LVL got an OB of 440 with longbow.

My conclusion is that the OB of LOME II in case of high level man (>40) are not calculated and reflect an assumption that I don’t find in the Silmarilion up to this extent ( elves>>>>> man in any field; also with weapons).
In comparison OB of LOMEI are quite in agreement with RM mechanics and fit an “optimized fighter” (2rank per level, profession bonus) level for level in many case.
La spada da doi mane sola stimo, ed essa adopro a mia bisogna.

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2021, 10:41:42 AM »
Interesting research!
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle