Author Topic: [Privateers] Why Use Rapid Fire?  (Read 1806 times)

Offline LonePaladin

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
[Privateers] Why Use Rapid Fire?
« on: January 10, 2014, 04:15:19 AM »
One of the players in my online Privateers game pointed out an oddity: the rules on rapid fire are really vague, and I can't find any sort of benefit for the life of me.

To be specific, you have the following options for attacks with a firearm or energy weapon:
  • Single Shot (30-60% activity): Expends one unit of power, does normal damage and criticals.
  • Extended/Double Shot (50-90% activity): Expends two shots from semi-automatics, three from continuous-fire; make one normal attack, then a second at –15 (–30 for firearms).
  • Tracking/Spread Burst (30-60%): Spray an area, expending 5 shots (10 for continuous fire); make an attack at half your OB, but with a +30 bonus, and reduce criticals by one level.
  • Continuous Fire/Aimed Burst (50-90%): Expends 5 shots (10 for continuous fire); make an attack at –10 (–20 for firearms), but use Raking or Burst criticals.
Now, the next section in both the core book and Blaster Law get a little confusing.

First, they mention Rapid Fire. As far as I can tell in the description, all this maneuver does is empty a weapon. No attack rolls are made. A successful skill check just drains a power cell or empties a clip. Where's the benefit in this?

The next thing they have is "Aimed Rapid Fire". First, you have to spend a full round (100%) doing nothing but aiming. After that, you make a Rapid Fire maneuver; success lets you get a single Continuous Fire or Aimed Burst attack, otherwise it's a Single Shot. As far as I can tell, you still empty your weapon's ammo. Who would bother with this? An Aimed Burst just uses 5 shots and is a single attack. This one takes two full rounds, and every bit of ammo, and you might blow it and just get a single anyway.

These options for the Rapid Fire skill seem pretty useless. It doesn't help that the actual skill description just says to refer to the options in the combat chapter.

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
Re: [Privateers] Why Use Rapid Fire?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2014, 09:07:23 AM »
Yep.  We don't use it.  Maybe to represent untrained combatants forced to use firearms as it doesn't confer an OB penalty?  Also, how do you empty a weapon with say 2000 rnds of ammo (or 20000)? 

Defendi?
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline Thom @ ICE

• Aurigas Staff
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Thom@ironcrown.com
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2014, 09:19:30 AM »
Also, how do you empty a weapon with say 2000 rnds of ammo (or 20000)? 

You pull the trigger and hold it....  ;D
Email -    Thom@ironcrown.com

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2014, 10:55:35 AM »
Where did I put that nuclear hand grenade  :o

BTW, for RM players that have never seen the nuclear hand grenade attack table, you're missing out.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline Defendi

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Final Redoubt Press
    • Final Redoubt Press
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2014, 11:48:06 AM »
I believe I inherited that from Weapons Law: Firearms.  I'll have to research it a bit to see if I can clarify.
The Echoes of Heaven:  Available for HARP and Rolemaster.  www.FinalRedoubt.com

Offline Defendi

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Final Redoubt Press
    • Final Redoubt Press
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2014, 04:34:54 PM »
Ah, yes. The aimed rapid fire action allows you to do burst with a weapon that isn't fully automatic.  Rapid fire really only has RP applications.

Offline LonePaladin

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2014, 10:07:18 PM »
Just to clarify, the Aimed Rapid Fire action is for single-shot or semi-automatic weapons? That makes more sense now.

Maybe the base Rapid Fire action could allow someone to emulate suppression fire, at a steep penalty.

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2014, 02:01:32 PM »
I think that's what he is saying essentially.  It's a 'role play' mechanic where you are just trying to make the enemy keep their head down for example... so it requires a GM or players that are going to role-play the situation (although a good GM also won't tell you they are using that tactic on you).
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline Defendi

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Final Redoubt Press
    • Final Redoubt Press
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2014, 02:07:45 PM »
There's no specific rule for using to emulate the suppression fire mechanic, but yeah, that's what I'm saying.