Author Topic: Where to start?  (Read 2426 times)

Offline Theros

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Carclub where I belong. Some cool information from finnish pimped Renaults...includes also international forums
Where to start?
« on: March 17, 2013, 07:19:37 AM »
Hello everybody...some people might remember me from HARP projects in the past...

But...now to my question.

I played Space Master about 15 years ago...I have some good memories from that.

Now...I would like to buy few books to start space campaign with familiar rules.

What books are available and where? I prefer hard copies (I am old fashioned GM). I live in europe (in Finland) so most likely some European seller or if ICE have some reasonable shipping costs then I can order from here.

Give directions and proposals from available books and where I should start.
When you have it, you don't respect it. When you lose it, you will miss it.
-Love-

Offline Wolfhound

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +10/-10
  • nothin' ta see here...
    • World of Ærnth/Channel Cities
Re: Where to start?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2013, 09:34:45 AM »
If you are a fan of HARP, and you want hard-copies your best option is probably to purchase the "print on demand" hard copy versions of HARP: "Harp Sci-Fi" http://www.rpgnow.com/product/87644/Harp-Sf?manufacturers_id=461&filters=0_0_0_0 and "HARP SciFi" http://www.rpgnow.com/product/96082/Harp-SF-Xtreme?manufacturers_id=461&filters=0_0_0_0 Extreme.

Although I'm not sure what the shipping costs to Finland would be.
Wolfhound (aka Aaron Smalley)
World of Aernth/Channel Cities setting: www.ChannelCities.com
City of Archendurn & Dun Cru author (for RM/HARP)
Cur. projects: RMU Creature Law 1 & 2, No Quarter Under the Crown (campaign module for RMU)

Offline Theros

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Carclub where I belong. Some cool information from finnish pimped Renaults...includes also international forums
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2013, 10:33:08 AM »
Space Master or Privateers in not in printing or in stock anymore?
-Love-

Offline Wolfhound

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +10/-10
  • nothin' ta see here...
    • World of Ærnth/Channel Cities
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2013, 10:43:33 AM »
There is talk about making them available via print on demand, but I don't think they currently are (although I could be wrong there).  Also with Rolemaster currently going through a re-design, I suspect that at some point in the near future a new version of Spacemaster will follow, but that is only a guess on my part.  So I think the only way you can get a hold of Spacemaster hardcopy books is going to be buying used.  But if you are willing I think you may be able to get some of the previous Spacemaster products as pdf's, but I'm not positive of this as I've never looked (already have many of the original Spacemaster product books, as well as the core materials for Privaters).

But maybe someone who is more knowledgeable about availabilities will comment and provide more accurate info, as I'm only guessing on some of what I posted.
Wolfhound (aka Aaron Smalley)
World of Aernth/Channel Cities setting: www.ChannelCities.com
City of Archendurn & Dun Cru author (for RM/HARP)
Cur. projects: RMU Creature Law 1 & 2, No Quarter Under the Crown (campaign module for RMU)

Offline Athelstaine

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2013, 10:49:35 AM »
You can always try, nobleknight.com, e-bay or Amazon.com
May i serve in Valhalla, better than i did in life.

Offline Theros

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2013, 10:58:42 AM »
I am aware of amazon and so on...

Harp Sci-Fi ...what kind of setting that is? Any world book or description from it?

How are the books? Is there all things or do it need some extra material?

As far as I know...most Space or Sci-fi campaign settings need Tech, ship and some world books.
-Love-

Offline Theros

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2013, 01:37:58 PM »
I checked those and those aren't that expensive...so I placed order from both books.
-Love-

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2013, 11:23:23 AM »
 I am not affiliated with the Guild Companion Publications (publishing ICE Products now) but most if not all new product sales for Space Master Privateers is going through DrivethroughRPG . So if you are looking for books that is the place to go for new books but if you are looking for old books then the above websites are good places to look.
If you have any more questions please contact me and I will help you out.
Mark D Carlson
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2013, 08:43:17 AM »
The SM:P books are EXCELLENT.

If the presented universe does not appeal to your taste, the material present is easily usable in a different setting ( most of the animal races in Privateers are bio weapon products made in labs throughout Human and Oort space one of my three settings).

Get em if you can.  They are all good.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline NanoEther

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2013, 09:12:47 AM »
http://www.rpgnow.com/index.php?cPath=8807
Guild Companion page for Spacemaster: Privateers. All of the products for SM:P are up from what I can tell. The only manual that is a bit iffy is the Vehicle manual, but there is still some good stuff in it.
Future Law has additional training packages and extends Talents & Flaws for SM:P
Tech Law: Blaster Law provides weapon creation/conversion rules as well as tables
Tech Law: Robotics not only has robot/android rules it has cyborging and cyberware rules.
Tech Law: Vehicles has rules and tables for vehicle construction and combat, including vehicle-infantry interaction. Construction rules heavily based on Star Strike/Armored Assault.
SM:P Races & Cultures adds details to the races in SM:P, this includes racial/cultural Training Packages and Talents & Flaws (some of the TPs are usable for other races)
Equipment Manual has gear broken down by tech level & grade. It covers most gear that would be wanted, also provides guidelines for picking gear from other RM sources.
Spacemaster: Privateers core rules for SM:P and the core setting guide for Privateers.

Offline Theros

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2013, 12:55:27 PM »
So...if I pick up 3-4 books..what is the order?
-Love-

Offline NanoEther

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2013, 07:58:18 PM »
SM:P, Future Law, Equipment Manual, Races & Cultures.
Then Blaster, Robots, Vehicles

Those are my suggestions, but it depends some on your group. For example, if they're not into non-humans, but are into cyber or robots, switch R&C with Robotics.

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2013, 11:52:05 PM »
I also recommend Ten Million Ways to Die, as it incorperates all Sm and RM AT's for just about every attack table you will ever need in one book.

The optional melee and arms in the companions are very nice, including glue guns, power melee weapons, chainsaws, etc.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline Theros

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2013, 04:31:38 AM »
Equipment manual is not available from rpg now ... :(
-Love-

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2013, 06:22:10 AM »
Theros,
 I know that the guys on the publishing side are working hard to get the rest of the SM:P line back in print. But I do not know of the exact time it will be made available.

Another book I also liked was Arms Law: Fire Arms from RMSS and have used in in my SM game. I tend to like the more complete charts of the Arms Law books vs the condensed charts in 10MWtD but you can look at the prieviews (I think) and see the difference between the two at DTRPG or RPGNow.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline NanoEther

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2013, 07:19:52 AM »

Offline Theros

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2013, 11:35:55 AM »
I did place order from Equipment Manual, Space Master: Privateers, Races & Cultures and Future Law ...they have all those books in local store in Finland :P
-Love-