Author Topic: Christmas Elves  (Read 2231 times)

Offline dutch206

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Christmas Elves
« on: December 25, 2011, 01:02:47 PM »
If Christmas Elves suffer the SD penalty, they wouldn't be very good shop workers.  However, having employees with nightvision would really save on the electric bills.   :laugh1:
"Cthulhu is the bacon of gaming." -John Kovalic, author of "Dork Tower"

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
Re: Christmas Elves
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2011, 08:51:34 PM »
But that is why so many things have the label: "Some assembly required."

rmfr
"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for they already dream themselves your master."
— RMF Runyan in Sci-Fi RPG session (GM); quoted from the PC game SMAC.

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Hey you kids! Get out of my dungeon!
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2011, 09:03:20 PM »
That's why so many things' first assembly instructions are to check and make sure all the parts were actually included.

:o
You put your left foot in, you put your left foot out... Traditional Somatic Components
Oo Ee Oo Aa Aa, Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang... Traditional Verbal Components
Eye of Newt and Toe of Frog, Wool of Bat and Tongue of Dog... Traditional Potion Formula

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2011, 10:27:27 PM »
That one slipped by me.  Guess my elfin-based SD save failed.

8)

rmfr
"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for they already dream themselves your master."
— RMF Runyan in Sci-Fi RPG session (GM); quoted from the PC game SMAC.

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2011, 07:21:58 AM »
I am a firm believer that Ikea's mail order section is staffed by elves.  :confused: (And that I must be a half-elf, as I have very little patience with such things as putting together furniture.)
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline dutch206

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2011, 08:16:51 AM »
Oh, and elves are resistant to temperature extremes.  That means Santa doesn't have to heat the shop.  Maybe the old man is on to something.  Elven sweatshop labor?
"Cthulhu is the bacon of gaming." -John Kovalic, author of "Dork Tower"

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2011, 10:42:30 AM »
Let's hope he doesn't pay by seniority though, that'll cost him in the long run.
You put your left foot in, you put your left foot out... Traditional Somatic Components
Oo Ee Oo Aa Aa, Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang... Traditional Verbal Components
Eye of Newt and Toe of Frog, Wool of Bat and Tongue of Dog... Traditional Potion Formula

Offline rdanhenry

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • This sentence is false.
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2011, 11:35:19 AM »
Santa's toy makers aren't actually elves. They're a beardless race of dwarves (who are willing to be mistaken for elves to avoid embarrassment over the beard thing).
Rolemaster: When you absolutely, positively need to have a chance of tripping over an imaginary dead turtle.

Offline bpowell

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2011, 11:54:59 AM »
This year my kids and I were in the local mall and they saw Santa and of course asked me if all the Elves worked for Santa.  I looked at my eldest daughter who had asked the question and replied.  "No, Hun,  those elves that took the oath of Feanor work for Santa as a penitence.  Those that refused the Oath were allowed to cross over the Sea in peace."

My wife rolled her eyes and told me I was ruining our children.  I look at it as broadening their horizons.

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2011, 12:29:13 PM »
So they're not so much "Santa's helpers" as "Santa's POWs."  ;D

I'm hearing little piping voices in my head, singing, "That's the sound of the men, workin' on the chain.... gang..." They planned an escape once, until they realized that if they left Santa they'd lose their only bass capable of carrying the "Well don't you know..." line.

It explains why the hammering is always so precisely rhythmic, at least...

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2011, 12:57:45 PM »
This year my kids and I were in the local mall and they saw Santa and of course asked me if all the Elves worked for Santa.  I looked at my eldest daughter who had asked the question and replied.  "No, Hun,  those elves that took the oath of Feanor work for Santa as a penitence.  Those that refused the Oath were allowed to cross over the Sea in peace."

My wife rolled her eyes and told me I was ruining our children.  I look at it as broadening their horizons.

laugh point...silly oath breakers.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.