Author Topic: SM: P Tech Law VM 2-4 CVC Rules Determine Minimum Crew (22) p. 117 Part 2  (Read 1321 times)

Offline snrdg051306

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
I would like to confirm my understanding of the first note under the Determine Minimum Crew (22) which I've read through several times. From VM p. 117:

Note: A craft, subject to GM approval, can be manned by a single person. It requires all controls to be routed through the pilot’s console. The pilot can then run the ship, though they have to split up their actions. For instance, to fire the weapons and operate the electronic warfare suite, the character would have to split up their
100% of activity.
This can only be done if the craft is short range. If a craft is meant to operate for more than 50 hours, it cannot qualify for a single crew member.

Here is my initial interpretation of the note:

1. A design intended to be operated by a single crew member must be approved by the GM to be legal.

Having to get the GM's approval doesn't make sense when there are a lot of vehicles designed to be operated by a single living being. A SMAC is designed for a single crew member and shouldn't need the GM's approval. A 747 is designed to operate, depending on the model, with a flight crew of 2 or 3, but a single pilot could handle the aircraft, not recommended but possible.

2. All craft functions are routed to a single control station and the operator or pilot has to allocate attention between the various functions.

I agree that the all the functions get routed to a central control station and the pilot split's her/his attention between different operations.

3. A craft designed for short range operations can have a crew of one.

I'm not clear on what short range means in the SM: P universe. However, I get the impression that short range is less than 50 hours of operation. If I'm right then I don't see the need for having the GM approve the design. I can see the GM tacking on negative modifiers as appropriate for doing a number of different actions at the same time.

4. Any craft that operates for more than 50 hours cannot be operated by a single crew member.

A SMAC, from what I've gathered from reading various SM: P sources, is a short range craft that could be operated for more than 50 hours if this is the only craft available to attempt the mission. Again the GM would be right to impose negative DMs to every pilot action passed the 50 hours.

A long range vessel in an emergency might have to be operated through a jerry-rigged console by one operator. Again there would be a lot of negative DMs to overcome.

Did I understand the note correctly and of course in an official game setting I'd use the rules, if I got them right anyway, as written.

Thanks for any feedback,

Tom R
Tom R

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  IMHO the GM needs to approve every vehicle created for the universes by players. Just like I as GM approve of every PC created by players.

TMAC are IMHO short range as well and are generally designed for less than 50 hours of operation. But I do agree that other TMAC can be created for longer than 50 hours of operation. In this case IMO the craft would have some space set aside for quarters. If no quarters are present then the craft by definition would be short range.

I would guess that by definition any craft that was created to operate for 50 hours or more would have to include all crew personnel in the vehicle creation system, ie you cannot say that the engineering crew is on the docs for the vehicle as it needs watching and possibly worked on every 50 hours.

Again I do not know the authors intent but that is what I get from the rules as I understand them. Does that help?
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline snrdg051306

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Hello MarkC and thanks for the continued assistance.

I agree that the GM has the final say as to what vehicles and characters are allowed in the particular gaming universe. However, my understanding of the note is that any craft manned by a single person has to be approved by the GM, not every vehicle or character.

If I modified a craft that requires 5 people to operate to a single operator I would need the GM's approval. The GM could allow craft and pile up a bunch of negative modifiers, which with my luck I'd be out of the game really quickly having been smeared across the game board.

Steps 25 and 26 on VM p. 118 clearly state that designs operating for more than 50 hours require quarters/accommodations, which does help to clarify short range and constant use as identified in Step 22.

Step 22 minimum crew requirements are in full effect for designs operating for more than 50 hours.

For designs operating up to 50 hours a minimum of 1 operator is required. Additional crew can be added as needed.

Looking at Steps 34 and 35 I don't think the minimum crew is going to be enough. According the formula the 100 ton TMAC fighter in the example requires a minimum of 100 ÷ 100 = 1 maintenance crew member. I spent time with my Dad, who was a crew chief in a F-106 squadron, and recall there was more than 1 body working on an aircraft. I wish I could recall how many bodies are required to support the air wing of a carrier, but I do know that there are more than 1 per assigned aircraft.

For craft operating 50 hours or less I'd say that Step 22 could be the minimum support crew required by the design.

Again thanks for the reply.
Tom R

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Hello MarkC and thanks for the continued assistance.

1)I agree that the GM has the final say as to what vehicles and characters are allowed in the particular gaming universe. However, my understanding of the note is that any craft manned by a single person has to be approved by the GM, not every vehicle or character.

2)If I modified a craft that requires 5 people to operate to a single operator I would need the GM's approval. The GM could allow craft and pile up a bunch of negative modifiers, which with my luck I'd be out of the game really quickly having been smeared across the game board.

1) As per the RPG general rule; all PC's have to be approved by the GM for his universe, game or story. The same goes for any player created thing to exist in his game.
2) I agree.

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline snrdg051306

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Morning MarkC,

1) As per the RPG general rule; all PC's have to be approved by the GM for his universe, game or story. The same goes for any player created thing to exist in his game.

Another case of me failing to communicate clearly. Yes, all new craft designs introduced into the campaign need to be approved by the GM just like a player's gaming alter ego.

The first Determine Minimum Crew (22) note appears to say that I have to get the GM's approval to use the maintenance pod on VM p. 31 because the craft is operated by a single person. The GM's, in my opinion, approval of my selection is not based on being operated by a single person since that is how the craft is designed to be operated. My selection could be nixed for a number of other reasons, but not based on being operated by a single person.

On VM p. 27 the Courier shuttle can carry four people and is operated by a single person and is probably a tech level 25 craft designed to be operated for <= 50 hours. Using Step 22 as a starting point the minimum crew is 3 for the basic sensor suite + 0 for the Microfreq comm rig + 0.098 for the Vacuum Power Generator + 0 for Artificial Gravity + 3 Pilots + 0.098 General personnel = 6.196. Since the craft is being operated for up to 50 hours 1 pilot is all that is needed with the other three seats being used by passengers. Per Step 22 when the courier is selected for use the craft has to be approved based on being operated by a single person, not because the craft doesn't fit the camping story line or some other reason.

To me the first note needs tweaking, which I'm working on a recommendation for. Unfortunately, I'm still thinking about the changes.

Thanks again for the reply MarkC.
Tom R

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
I think this answers my question in the other thread. . .i.e. the dreadnought could be made 1 man operated for <50 hour cycles, but the pilot would then need to devote % action to each roll needed, which would be quite a lot of them, unless it's a 20,000,000 ton inert rock with an engine and control module strapped to it, so that it's a really simple, giant ship.
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com