Author Topic: What would you say are the most essential skills?  (Read 2729 times)

Offline rdanhenry

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • This sentence is false.
Re: What would you say are the most essential skills?
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2011, 12:43:25 AM »
Rough terrain, slick terrain, moving faster, penalties for injuries... Easy can become hard in very many ways.
Rolemaster: When you absolutely, positively need to have a chance of tripping over an imaginary dead turtle.

Offline MariusH

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2011, 06:59:44 AM »
Even if we don't measure 1/60 exhpts, we STILL say you use 1 exhpt each 10 mins you are walking - multiplied with carrying extra weight etc, of course. This simply means you have to take some breaks during your marches, or ambushes will become even more dangerous.

As for sprinting and distance running - sure, they can be nice. And with a Mage with lofty bridge you can fast sprint without using any exhpts (OK, 1 pr ten mins) when you get high enough levels, and it also presents other options for "running away". However, in the situations where we have had to run away, horses have been used - and required. Usually, beasts and monsters will outrun you unless you're on horseback, even with a good running skill. The "standard" situation is when we've been attacked by packs of wolves. You know, when they are many, they can be quite dangerous, and I don't think you'll stand much of a chance running away from them unless you have a horse...
There are three kinds of people: Those who know math, and those who don't

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2011, 08:26:50 AM »
 I have added a skill called Hiking for general overland movement. Why not give a bonus to the people who hike all the time and a penalty to those who do not for general travel?
  Yes it is another skill for RMSS but IMHO it is a very useful one.

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Kristen Mork

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +70/-70
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2011, 09:13:46 AM »
That's what I use Distance Running for!  :)

Offline Vince

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2011, 05:22:06 PM »
Skills that practically i get a lot of ranks (depending on profession):

Body Development (full ranks)
Spell list Adquisition ( if spell caster)
General Perception (always although bad stats)
Stunned maneuvers  (if you need to fight)
First Aids (always although bad stats)
Stalk/Hide ( always if not Noble Warrior, Cavalier...)
Spell Mastery (To cast/concentrate while doing other things)

Order of the Iron Crown

(RM2+ Shadow World+ GM)

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2011, 06:33:05 PM »
Once upon a time Stun Mnv would have made my list.  Now I demand the players use spells or fate points to unstun themselves (there is an herb or two also).
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline Draeck

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2011, 08:48:59 PM »
Basic riding skills, First aid and Body development. After that it was up to the players concept of the character. The GM had input if he saw something odd or missing (Mainly occurred with newer players).

Offline OLF, i.e. Olf Le Fol

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2011, 09:11:19 AM »
Seduction, Public Speaking, Diplomacy, Leadership. With any other set of skills, a character may defeat a score of enemies and take over their treasure; with this set of skills, a character may defeat a country and take over the world.
The world was then consumed by darkness, and mankind was devoured alive and cast into hell, led by a jubilant 紗羽. She rejoiced in being able to continue serving the gods, thus perpetuating her travels across worlds to destroy them. She looked at her doll and, remembering their promises, told her: "You see, my dear, we succeeded! We've become legends! We've become villains! We've become witches!" She then laughed with a joyful, childlike laughter, just as she kept doing for all of eternity.

Offline Kristen Mork

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +70/-70
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2011, 12:30:03 PM »
First Aid, Surveillance and Rowing.

I require Surveillance maneuvers whenever a player is going to watch an area for a while.  So, this skill gets used multiple times every gaming session.

Rowing is really an inside joke.  We had one game that involved rowing from one British isle to the next.  Since then, I try to work in rowing whenever possible.

So, really: First Aid and Surveillance.  (Plus Alertness, but everyone gets that at Level 0.)