Author Topic: Multiple chances to dispel?  (Read 1058 times)

Offline Old Man

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Campaign Nook
Multiple chances to dispel?
« on: January 01, 2011, 08:50:30 PM »
Folk,

How many times do you allow a caster to attempt to dispel a spell? Once? As many as they have PP for?

Does the spell get a bonus (beyond the +30) vs 2nd, 3rd, 4th attempts?

In addition, do you do a straight lvl vs lvl as described -or- do you add in a BAR roll result?

Regards,
Old Man
** Yes, some of ROCO IV and VII is my fault. **

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
Re: Multiple chances to dispel?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2011, 09:25:06 PM »
I think that was errata fixed in RM2 and RAW in RMSS, I know it's in RMC SL P87:

"When a caster attempts certain magical effects (e.g. Item Analysis, Remove Curse, Etc.) that caster may attempt such an action on a specific item or situation only once per experience level. If the attempt fails, another attempt may not be made until another level of experience is attained."

It ads a 2nd proviso that some GMs may require the list to actually have ranks purchased in it before it can be tried again, so simply going up a level and not ranking the list with the spell on it is not enough to allow another attempt.

On the house rule end, I have allowed someone to just cast over and over vs spells, but those games tend to make things like curses far less nasty.
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com

Offline Old Man

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Campaign Nook
Re: Multiple chances to dispel?
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2011, 09:28:06 PM »
On the house rule end, I have allowed someone to just cast over and over vs spells, but those games tend to make things like curses far less nasty.

I am thinking the same but giving the spell an increasing chance to resist.

How about the lvl vs lvl aspect? Is there a BAR roll result added or is it strictly Caster lvl vs Caster lvl?
** Yes, some of ROCO IV and VII is my fault. **