Forum > Rolemaster

Newbie looking for information

(1/4) > >>

Carnus:
Hi guys

I have been roleplaying for around 17 years. I have played many many games but my groups default fantasy game has always been D&D. Over the past 5 years we have played it exclusively and over that time we have found more and more limitations with the system and the style of play that D&D promotes, and with the announcement of 4th edition it is the straw that broke the camels back. So to cut a long story short, I am looking for another fantasy RPG to take its place.

I played a few games of Rolemaster in the early nineties and still remember them fondly (if only we had a dedicated RM DM back then).

I need a few answers from you guys before I make my decision on what system to choose.

Why should I choose Rolemaster as my groups Fantasy RPG. Sell it too me, give me what makes it great and why you guys still play and love it?

Are there rules that are not as polished as others and stand out during game play?

How does Rolemaster compare to other classic RPG's which have been re-released like Runequest?

And last but not least if I choose Rolemaster which books are a must purchase and the bit that confuses me is do I go RM classic or RMFRPG? (I think thatÂ’s the correct acronym)

Thank you in advance for your time guys in helping me out.

maikeru:
Well, as an unbiased view, and member of the RMC team. I would probably recommend RMC. Especially if you have fond memories of RM2.

To clarify my unbiasedness, I joined the RMC team as a newb. I have never played RM except a brief game of MERP.  I have come to love it, since I had to read it, and re-read it and so on and so forth.

As far as what books you should invest in. I would start with Rolemaster Express. For only around $10 you can get a feel of it and let your group give it a shot, and then invest into the other books.

On the other hand, I am pretty peeved at the 4th ed announcement, especially since I have a whole book shelf of 3.0/3.5 stuff. When 3.0 when to 3.5 it broke my my proverbial back, (also my back is literally broken but that is another story.)

But for me, I didn't choose RM. I chose HARP, and you can download HARP Lite for free from http://www.harphq.com - It is a bit easier than RM and a bit closer to d20. I have gotten die hard d20 fans to play HARP, and guess what they loved it.

Besides the ranting, my recommendations are:

Rolemaster Express - >$10 and a very solid intro for d20 players to get into RMC.
Harp Lite - Free and a lot easier for d20 players to transition to.

--mike
ICE Freelancer

markc:
 First,
  Welcome to the forums.

Brent Knorr has a webpage listed in the vault that answers a lot of the Q's you are asking. As to how it stacks up against the new release of RQ, I can say I was not a fan of the new RQ but I only looked at the main book. I can also say I am a fan of RMSS [RMFRP is a slightly updated version but split into more books] and I would get the PDF's and print the pages you want to give your PC's. You tend to do a lot of this especially with weapon charts. IMO I would get RMSS, Spell Law, Chan Comp. Ess Comp. Ment Comp and Creatures book. That will give you all the rules you need to fully flush out an amazing world. If you are looking for a 1 shot campain or less detail I woudl get the revision of RM2 either RMX or RMC.

If you have any more Q's send them along.

MDC

Carnus:
Thanks for the replies guys.

I am not really too fussed with finding something too simillar to D&D as my players are Role playing veterans and have played most RPG systems so they will be able to cope with something different.

I will check out HARP lite as you suggested.

I am still a bit confused with all the different editions of Role Master and the differences between them.

Lastly I went to Brent Knorr's website but alas I couldn't find the articles which answer my questions :(

I haven?t decided which way I want to go with a new game, if I want to use it to create my own game world or just run a ready made one. I am always keen to design my own world but then the Real Life time factor kicks in
:).

ob1knorrb:
The article that might of the most use is if you want to know what the differences between Rolemaster Standard System (RMSS) and Rolemaster Fantasy Roleplaying (RMFRP) are.  That one is here:
http://www.icewebring.com/rmss-vs-rmfrp/

The other frequently referred to article is a general overview of Rolemaster, although I haven't updated it to include Rolemaster Classic and Rolemaster Express yet.  That one is here:
http://www.icewebring.com/what-is-rolemaster/

Hope those help somewhat.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version